• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Understanding Yoshi Momentum

Chaco

Never Logs In
Alright guys here is some of the Egg Toss Momentum, I'll post the RAEL Momentum Slide
Momentum once they are completed.

Egg Toss Momentum

Using egg toss is one of the things that helps Yoshi in crunch situations. You might often find yourself using eggs in many different manners. These manners being, retreating, wall of defense, or for offense. Well now we can add another thing to this list. Momentum Egg Tossing. MET is ons of the greatest things to apply to your game, it helps with many aspects, so first let’s get into how to do it, then we will conquer the uses.

How to perform momentum egg tosses:

Alright, so first of you will always want to short hop, or double jump. Don’t do those in between height jumps to start out, although those become the best kind. You can perform this momentum in two different directions, forwards and backwards. So we’ll start out with forwards, the more complicated of the two. To perform a forward momentum egg toss, what you do is have your analog stick straight up, then you will roll the analog stick all the way around, from right to left and then initiate your egg toss. This momentum will send you forward, or it should, you might do it wrong the first few times. To do the backwards momentum you simply start with the analog stick facing up, initiate the egg toss and roll the analog stick to the right to about in between right
and left, the slanted angle. You will go backwards with momentum.

Applications:

Alright, so know you’re wondering what can I do with all this momentum, well let’s start with edge guarding. So say you want a quick edge guard use either momentum to get to the ledge before your opponent does. This is quicker than RARing and also more practical if you barely toss an egg above you, as it will drop some and if they go above you it will hit them and set you up for a Uair.

Next we’ll take about getting lipped on FD, this is a major pain when you get lipped when throwing an egg. You’ll notice you’ll stay touching the lip for a while. As you start to notice, your head coming down (still touching the lip though) forward momentum yourself towards the ledge. And your back safely, but keep in mind that this takes practice. But it is worth the effort.

And finally setting up the combos. Yoshi has a great air game so let’s talk about comboing from the air. So basically what you want to do is dash towards them, leaving about 3 Yoshi lengths away, then SH a FMET then you immediately Nair. (Keep in mind this works best with a barely thrown egg.)

Also there are many other ways of starting combos, but I don’t feel like getting into those yet.

Naucitos

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this should go here or not, but it seems to me that with tap jump on, its easier to do sliding eggs and you go farther? i feel like i shouldn't be posting this because im pretty sure its common knowledge, but im just not sure WHY it happens

EDIT: Ignore this please, im dumb and was not jumping >_>

Chaco

Never Logs In
well ,i got held up in art class, I'm in the middle of all sections, but with egg momentum is my favorites to use in battle. My Yoshi is really thought based now, yet I do not use him in friendlies at all, I use Fox. This helps me to understand placing myself in certain areas to help minimize taken damage and maxamize my punishing.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this should go here or not, but it seems to me that with tap jump on, its easier to do sliding eggs and you go farther? i feel like i shouldn't be posting this because im pretty sure its common knowledge, but im just not sure WHY it happens
it is easier
but i'm not sure if its farther?:confused:
i thought it was all timing

Chaco

Never Logs In
Still working on this....it keeps getting longer.

DstyCube

Smash Journeyman
No, it goes farther, and you can do it before the full dash animation of you have tap jump on
You can go just as far if you jump cancel the initial dash animation without tap to jump on. It's just easier to do with tap to jump on.

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Is it finished or is there more to do? It's gonna help me regardless. This doesn't seem to be too hard, like half an hour practice?

Chaco

Never Logs In
I'm far from finished, there is like 7 more sections, and egg toss isn't even complete. XD

And I have no capture card.

Top Bottom