• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Underrated Custom Moves?

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Are there any custom moves that you think are great but haven't heard anyone else specifically praise?

In my case, it's Marth and Lucina's Dashing Assault (neutral B). It's weaker, but the forward dash it comes with makes it so much more useful. The obvious benefit it brings is that you don't have to fully charge it for it to help your recovery, but there's more. It's one of the best ways to cover a tech situation or ledge get-up because of the disjointed hitbox, and even a semi-charged DA can cover all options. It's also really good because the hitbox lasts a lot longer than it may seem, which means if you hit with the late hits of it, it can also be a combo tool. It's overall usefulness I think makes it a better choice than a situational punisher with only awkward recovery usage.

I'm also going to defend Charizard's Rising Cyclone (up B), but I'll just quote the post I made in the "Official Standard Custom Moveset Project: Charizard" thread:
The description actually lies when it says that it doesn't go as high as normal, when in fact it just has more frames of his previous momentum before the upward rush. Thus, when you jump and then immediately use it, the upward momentum from the jump will continue during the startup, and so he goes just as high as default (like Little Mac's Rising Smash). Granted you need another jump, but that isn't hard to get with Charizard, especially with Dragon Rush enabled as well, and even without a jump it isn't worthless.

It's also a much better kill move than normal Fly. An aerial Rising Cyclone can kill off a down throw as early as 50% against fast-fallers or heavies, and while it may not be a "true" combo, it's very hard to escape due to the magnetic windbox and super armor. Grounded, Rising Cyclone is somewhat situational, as the strong hit at the end is very difficult to land unless your opponent is large. However, it's still pretty good OoS, as the windbox and super armor will still likely take the opponent in, and the hits that combo into the strong blow at the end have base knockback, which can still get opponents away.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Super Jump, Whirling Spin, Falcon Strike, and Dolphin Jump. They all give characters the good recoveries that they need so badly. I feel Guardian Luma is overlooked too, despite being one of the best moves in the game.

blazegoat

Smash Rookie
NNID
blazegoat
Samus has a Down B that trips, and I'm pretty sure rob has one too. Samus also has a neutral B that goes really slow, so you can just run off the ledge and shoot it to
intercept recoveries

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Samus has a Down B that trips, and I'm pretty sure rob has one too. Samus also has a neutral B that goes really slow, so you can just run off the ledge and shoot it to
intercept recoveries
I run both of those! Regular bombs are so niche in their uses anyway.

Freaky Fruit, Lightning Falcon Kick, and Impact Orbitars are some of my favorite little-used ones.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I run both of those! Regular bombs are so niche in their uses anyway.

Freaky Fruit, Lightning Falcon Kick, and Impact Orbitars are some of my favorite little-used ones.
I thought everybody used Freaky Fruit.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I thought everybody used Freaky Fruit.
In my experience, due to the changed charge speed, default is more for Galaxian on up, Freaky Fruit is more for Melon and below. It's not a straight upgrade, but it's freaking amazing for screwing people's perceptions. The key becoming a point-blank meteor smash is also a bit of a situational thing, and a lot of people prefer the default in that case.

That said, used Lazy Fruit a week or so ago for the first time since unlock. I'd call that one super underrated.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
In my experience, due to the changed charge speed, default is more for Galaxian on up, Freaky Fruit is more for Melon and below. It's not a straight upgrade, but it's freaking amazing for screwing people's perceptions. The key becoming a point-blank meteor smash is also a bit of a situational thing, and a lot of people prefer the default in that case.

That said, used Lazy Fruit a week or so ago for the first time since unlock. I'd call that one super underrated.
I don't which one it is, but one of them has that ridiculous Galaga that hits multiple times and deals like, 20% total.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I don't which one it is, but one of them has that ridiculous Galaga that hits multiple times and deals like, 20% total.
Freaky Galaxian, will combo into itself at certain damage ranges or long-distance for about 14 damage in training mode, Wiki says 8 per hit (which would be 16). It also comes back around, making it even easier to retrieve.

Lazy Galaxian doesn't really true combo much at all, but at about 3 damage per hit (training mode) you can theoretically rack up somewhere around 30 damage from it. I could see it working in doubles or something with good grab angles, but the odds of getting so many hits on a regular opponent are slim. Like all lazy fruit, it's pretty easy to reclaim.

Default Galaxian will get roughly 18 damage if it hits twice. But most people would end up going for the Key or the Bell at that point.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
While not overwhelmingly broken, I like Toon Link's Flying Spin Attack. It hinders horizontal recovery slightly, but it makes up for it in vertical recovery. No matter whether you're on the ground or in the air, all the hits will combo unless they have flawless DI and/or high damage, and the upward knockback is much more useful for killing than the diagonal knockback of the default up B. (On the contrary, I think his other up B option is really bad, but I won't mention it here.)

Raijinken

Smash Master
While not overwhelmingly broken, I like Toon Link's Flying Spin Attack. It hinders horizontal recovery slightly, but it makes up for it in vertical recovery. No matter whether you're on the ground or in the air, all the hits will combo unless they have flawless DI and/or high damage, and the upward knockback is much more useful for killing than the diagonal knockback of the default up B. (On the contrary, I think his other up B option is really bad, but I won't mention it here.)
Flying Spin Attack is really fun, though I personally don't play Tink enough to know objective things about its strength. That said, I've seen some crazy stuff with Sliding Spin Attack, too.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Flying Spin Attack is really fun, though I personally don't play Tink enough to know objective things about its strength. That said, I've seen some crazy stuff with Sliding Spin Attack, too.
I just think Sliding Spin Attack is kinda bad in general. I've never landed every hit no matter how much I've tried, but this may just be me not knowing the move. Regardless, it's harder to combo every hit, and if you do get a gimp with it, it basically has to be a suicide stock, which isn't the case for the other two. Additionally, there's way too much start-up time on the ground, and it isn't worth the dash forward because you're left open for for so long. Finally, Toon Link doesn't really have problems with horizontal recovery because of his Zair. Hey, this reminds me of a certain thread...

On the topic of my original post, I like Peach's Flying Peach Bomber. Firstly, the rising effect makes it not as awful if you mis-input it during a recovery, which is nice. More importantly, though, it's more powerful, and because of its rising effect, it's actually easier to combo into for a kill, considering Peach doesn't have many moves that have straight horizontal knockback. The only disadvantage the game gives is "harder to hit with", but it's actually pretty easy.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I just think Sliding Spin Attack is kinda bad in general. I've never landed every hit no matter how much I've tried, but this may just be me not knowing the move. Regardless, it's harder to combo every hit, and if you do get a gimp with it, it basically has to be a suicide stock, which isn't the case for the other two. Additionally, there's way too much start-up time on the ground, and it isn't worth the dash forward because you're left open for for so long. Finally, Toon Link doesn't really have problems with horizontal recovery because of his Zair. Hey, this reminds me of a certain thread...

On the topic of my original post, I like Peach's Flying Peach Bomber. Firstly, the rising effect makes it not as awful if you mis-input it during a recovery, which is nice. More importantly, though, it's more powerful, and because of its rising effect, it's actually easier to combo into for a kill, considering Peach doesn't have many moves that have straight horizontal knockback. The only disadvantage the game gives is "harder to hit with", but it's actually pretty easy.
Sliding Spin Attack really isn't meant to be used alone. You need to some kind of Bomb to compliment it. I use the Short-Fuse Bomb, which works pretty well. You can do some crazy **** with it if used right.
I also find Hyper Bomb to be overlooked. I honestly like it more than Metal Blade.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Sliding Spin Attack really isn't meant to be used alone. You need to some kind of Bomb to compliment it. I use the Short-Fuse Bomb, which works pretty well. You can do some crazy **** with it if used right.
I also find Hyper Bomb to be overlooked. I honestly like it more than Metal Blade.
I tried experimenting with Hyper Bomb, but couldn't find a big reason to use it over the Metal Blade. Shadow Blade is still my favorite of the three, though.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I tried experimenting with Hyper Bomb, but couldn't find a big reason to use it over the Metal Blade. Shadow Blade is still my favorite of the three, though.
I used Shadow Blade at first, but not being able to pick it up and it's short range made it inferior to Metal Blade. Almost like in the games.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I used Shadow Blade at first, but not being able to pick it up and it's short range made it inferior to Metal Blade. Almost like in the games.
Seriously though, imagine a Gemini Laser custom B move. Instant win.

Oh, but for other underrated moves, Balloon High Jump.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Seriously though, imagine a Gemini Laser custom B move. Instant win.

Oh, but for other underrated moves, Balloon High Jump.
It was such a missed opportunity not putting Gemini Laser in. We already have his color palette, why not go the extra mile? I mean, is anybody really going to miss Ice Slasher?
Tempest seems to be overlooked, as well. Heavy Blade, too.

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
Fox = Charge Blaster
Link = Shocking spin attack
DK = Stubborn headbutt
Shiek = Pisces
Yoshi = Lick
Dr. Mario = Soaring tornado
ZSS = Shooting star flip kick, electromagnetic net, lateral kick

Raijinken

Smash Master
I made a post over here listing all of the unrepresented custom moves in the EVO edition of the project. While some character-specific boards or players who don't run by the moveset project have undoubtedly discussed further, this gives a pretty good starting list for things that are less explored.

I really want to like Heavy Blade, but its utter inability to combo makes it essentially a hard read, and unless you just need the coverage from u4, you're probably better off with Shield Breaker or a Fsmash. May have uses in doubles, definitely not in singles.

Tempest is solid in many scenarios, but as people slowly learn how to play against windboxes, it becomes less and less preferably to default Eruption.

Dr. Tornado has such niche default applications that most people I know prefer Soaring. That said, even Soaring is a read if you want it to do anything. The windbox basically guarantees you won't hit off of anything else, and it's too slow to combo from a uthrow or anything. Its dubiously valid recovery benefits are passable, especially if you take the Ol' One-Two instead of Super Jump Punch.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Fox = Charge Blaster
Link = Shocking spin attack
DK = Stubborn headbutt
Shiek = Pisces
Yoshi = Lick
ZSS = Shooting star flip kick, electromagnetic net, lateral kick
Everything about this except for Shocking Spin Attack and Electromagnetic Net. I'd also like to add Hammer Bash and Rising Dedede.
@ Raijinken Raijinken Tempesy is already inferior to Furious Eruption, which is the nail in the coffin.

Last edited:

link-a-link

Smash Cadet
NNID
Linkaden
Everything about this except for Shocking Spin Attack and Electromagnetic Net. I'd also like to add Hammer Bash and Rising Dedede.
@ Raijinken Raijinken Tempesy is already inferior to Furious Eruption, which is the nail in the coffin.
Shocking spin attack because of up b out of shield kills sooner, electromagnetic is just a personal taste. agree on hammer bash

Raijinken

Smash Master
It is insanely strong, but does Link really need a recovery nerf?
I haven't really seen people make very good use of bomb jumping in this game, and he DOES have a pretty solid tether grab. I guess the real question is does he really need another strong punish?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Most people seem to go with Meteor Bombs, so you'd have to sacrifice a long-distance spike for a KO move, of which Link has plenty. I don't imagine it would be too fun to rocket yourself down into the abyss. Actually, it probably would, but it wouldn't be good.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Gonna revive this by saying :4miigun:'s Absorbing Vortex. Not only does it negate energy projectiles, but it also slows down your downward acceleration if used after a jump, making it great for recovery. I personally think it's the best of his/her down B options, though others might disagree.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
Toon Link's fire arrows. Takes away ledge options, makes it hard to approach from the ground, and I think it even sets up into fair and other moves.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
I was experimenting with R.O.B. today, and I discovered his up B 2, Robo Rocket. It's a much quicker recovery than either of his other up B's, and unlike the other options, it can be used multiple times in the air if you get hit. It also allows combos from grabs or up tilts at high percents to a kill, and most importantly, it has a hitbox just below him at the start of the move that spikes. I think it easily outclasses the default up B and is on par with High-Speed Burner.

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
:4ganondorf:I really like using one of ganondorfs side b's that hits multiple times and can't be interrupted

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
:4yoshi: Lick is so underated. Aids horizontal recovery and can kill at something around %120
:4dk: sometimes I actually like to use Hot Slap instead of the regular. Can be a nice anti air (although I'll admit Utilt is better) and is easier to follow up off of from Dtilt. Not to mention its great at tricking opponents at the ledge
:4zelda: Phantom Strike is da bomb. More Power, Charges faster, And the strong hit comes out faster. Only downside is it doesn't go out anywhere, which isnt that big of a deal, since unless its defensive or a read,opponents should see this comming a mile away. Still covers the ledge just as well too
:4fox: I love Wolf Flash so much. Now that you aren't put into special fall after it, It can be such a flashy kill move. Very situational but otherwise it's basically just as good as the regular one imo

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I've found that Leaping Rest is actually kind of effective as an air dodge punish and it kills pretty damn well to say it's supposed to be significantly weaker than Rest.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
:4olimar:'s Explosive Pluck. Mediocre knockback growth, but insane base knockback plus very quick startup makes it a great out-of-shield option and kill move.

I wouldn't really call :4jigglypuff:'s Leaping Rest underrated, as it seems to be interchangeable with normal Rest due to the ability to combo into it with various moves, the best of which being up throw.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
:4olimar:'s Explosive Pluck. Mediocre knockback growth, but insane base knockback plus very quick startup makes it a great out-of-shield option and kill move.

I wouldn't really call :4jigglypuff:'s Leaping Rest underrated, as it seems to be interchangeable with normal Rest due to the ability to combo into it with various moves, the best of which being up throw.
Most consider Rest to be superior to Leaping Rest, and while that is true, Leaping still doesn't get the attention it deserves. Most certainly not interchangeable. I would use it for characters like Sonic or Pikachu that are too slow and/or small to Rest.

I'd like to add Launch Star Plus. Being able to immediately blast off to the ledge is very helpful.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
:4wario2: Rose-Scented Waft. It seems to be a common choice for Wario players, but otherwise I rarely hear this being mentioned. It trades a bit of kill power for a significantly bigger hitbox and extra add-on damage from the flower.

:4dk: Stubborn Headbutt. While it doesn't have the versatility of his other 'butts, the super armour can catch people off-guard if they don't expect it. It's punished me more times than I care to recall.

:4samus: Slip Bomb. Being able to trip opponents on command is a very useful option.

:4mario: Scalding FLUDD. Disjointed grab confirm with high damage output? Yessss~

:4ganondorf: Flame Wave. It has none of the fancy followups that Flame Choke does, but it's hella satisfying to net a good kill with it.

:4palutena: Angelic Missile. Practically useless compared to the others, but great fun. My friend and I used to have entire fights based on this one move, way back when. Good times!

randy2dope

Smash Journeyman
Beat and the tornado hold are awesome I feel megamans recovery options are solid. Wish the dlc chars had customs but I understand why we don't have them. Mostly wish mewtwo had them and Lucas and Roy.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Beat is freaking phenomenal.

I also really like Sonic's Fire Spin Dash and the Spin Charge that has the windbox.

atreyujames

The Laziest Man in the North
NNID
Atreyujames
Well I agree that TornadoHold is sick and can lead to some stylish kills... what makes beat so good? isn't it just DHD's recovery? I mean sure its got better horizontal reach but is that really worth it? It loses all utility that rush had for kills off the top.

L1N3R1D3R

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-3822-0133-6917
Beat isn't that good, as while it may have the best range of the three, it's also the easiest to gimp with its slow startup and relatively slow movement, coupled with the lack of hitbox. I like Tornado Hold for its hitboxes, though I can see the use of Rush.

I too wish the DLC characters had custom moves, either as more things to unlock or at a small cost for DLC.

Both custom Spin Dashes are better than the original, but I feel like having an extra midair jump plus the ability to bury from Hammer Spin Dash is more useful than the slight damage increase of Burning Spin Dash.

Muskrat Catcher

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0748-4100-0093
I love using Sheik's down-B 2, Jellyfish. I have no idea if it is better than bouncing fish because they are both really good, but used in completely different ways, so it is hard to compare them. Jellyfish is an amazing option for getting back on stage, because if your opponent is standing at the ledge, you just have to Jellyfish up to them from below the stage, hit them, and it then combos into the second hit sending them behind you, giving you a chance to edgeguard if it doesn't outright kill. But the real reason I use it is for the style. You can get some really cool looking combos off with it, and you can also use it off stage as a risky edgeguard. It is just a really fun move to use, and I'm sure that if I spend a bunch of time researching its full potential, it could be OP

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Beat isn't that good, as while it may have the best range of the three, it's also the easiest to gimp with its slow startup and relatively slow movement, coupled with the lack of hitbox. I like Tornado Hold for its hitboxes, though I can see the use of Rush.

I too wish the DLC characters had custom moves, either as more things to unlock or at a small cost for DLC.

Both custom Spin Dashes are better than the original, but I feel like having an extra midair jump plus the ability to bury from Hammer Spin Dash is more useful than the slight damage increase of Burning Spin Dash.
I can see your point about Beat, but I don't care for Tornado Hold because it feels stiff as a move with the lack of control the move has, it's extremely linear vertically and I don't really find the hitbox that helpful in mitigating that.

I did forget about Hammering Spin Dash which is very useful in its own right, actually now I want to use that more.

And of course I think everyone is agreed on the point of DLC characters being shafted from getting customs as a little disappointing.

Top Bottom