• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Resource icon

Guide underrated bowser jr. recovery ( how to with a video link )

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
Greenme23 ( Turkey ) submitted a new guide:

underrated bowser jr. recovery ( how to with a video link ) - bowser jr. has a underrated recovery that has been with us for all this time!

So, bowser Jr. as we know has been quite a uncommon character in the smash community. Most people criticizing him for his terrible moves. While his moves are terrible, his recovery has been decent in this game. but your able to improve his recovery using a exploit that is like link/toon links bomb spin. lets recap incase you don't know..
link/toon link can hold on to his bomb, or down special projectile, when you first bring it up. by waiting a bit, then doing your horizontal recovery ( 2...
Read more about this guide...

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
This isn't going to see any real use - mostly because to have time to grab a falling MK, you have to be pretty high up already, which means you're probably going to recover anyway. Even when lower down, if you have time to grab an MK, you'll have time to side-B and recover that way.

To make matters worse, I've actually toyed with practical uses for this myself and up-B can make the MK explosion whiff you due to the spacing on the hitboxes and the fact that in some circumstances the MK won't recoil anyway, so even then, it only has a chance to work.

Top that off with the MK's 4 second fuse when you grab it and you'd need to really stall offstage for it to even apply in the first place.

It's a "cute" trick if there's ever a real way to get it to work - it might be good for saving teammates in doubles(?) - but as a Jr. Main since basically day 1 I can assure you there probably won't be a single scenario (even for style points) where you'll use MK for recovery yourself, especially since Jr.'s recovery is already incredibly solid despite some opportunity for exploitation.

As I said though, I have toyed with dropping the MK and grabbing it mid-recovery, and it can be used to cover you while recovering low, or give you a bit of a safety-net on the off chance you get hit, since the MK might detonate and give you kart back. Still, it's a pretty gimmicky option at best, so I tend to just avoid it...

(--and for the record, Jr. actually has some incredibly good moves in his kit, Mechakoopa included, they just don't really add up to much due to his mediocre character attributes and a few unfortunately janky hitboxes. lol)

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
oh yeah, i recently have been saying im not expecting this to be used competitively. its just nice to see we've had a good bowser. jr thing here.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
i was testing the catching of a koopa after sliding off the edge. (Dashing at a ledge and Down-b before you hit the edge will slide you off very close to the koopa). Sadly the FAF to catch it is the length of fd/bf to the blast zone so you'll only die.

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
I did the same thing, and i made it successfully 5 out of 6 times. Maybe its just rng and the fact that you missed it by a few pixels every time?
who knows, but im glad you did some testing. I got no time to do so in the first place besides then,

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I did the same thing, and i made it successfully 5 out of 6 times. Maybe its just rng and the fact that you missed it by a few pixels every time?
who knows, but im glad you did some testing. I got no time to do so in the first place besides then,
I got it once falling from the low battlefield platform and recovered, so I agree it's possible. I'm not sure about the use though cause i can't get the consistency down. grabbing, midair jump, uthrow, could cover a good amount vertically but also giving up a lot of time and stage control.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If Bowser Jr. uses Abandon Ship and then takes damage, you're pretty much screwed if the Junior Clown Car doesn't respawn. As such, using the Mechakoopa for recovery isn't exactly an advisable move.

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
If Bowser Jr. uses Abandon Ship and then takes damage, you're pretty much screwed if the Junior Clown Car doesn't respawn. As such, using the Mechakoopa for recovery isn't exactly an advisable move.
I know you don't exactly know this, but ive been harassed by that same message on other social media. Ill be happy to repeat myself, though.
im not expecting this in competitive play.

I got it once falling from the low battlefield platform and recovered, so I agree it's possible. I'm not sure about the use though cause i can't get the consistency down. grabbing, midair jump, uthrow, could cover a good amount vertically but also giving up a lot of time and stage control.
yes, that is true. im no bowser jr. player, i just found this out while playing around with him, so.

Last edited by a moderator:

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
I know you don't exactly know this, but ive been harassed by that same message on other social media. Ill be happy to repeat myself, though.
im not expecting this in competitive play.

yes, that is true. im no bowser jr. player, i just found this out while playing around with him, so.
Okay, well I'm glad you're enjoying Him! I'm no surprised we are giving you a lot of flak since the title is "underrated" recovery. since it's tough and dangerous everyone is discussing why it's not so underrated. another fun thing with bowser jr is you can kart on all the bottom platforms in Big Battlefield i think.

Greenme23 ( Turkey )

Smash Cadet
NNID
SilverLightAngel
Okay, well I'm glad you're enjoying Him! I'm no surprised we are giving you a lot of flak since the title is "underrated" recovery. since it's tough and dangerous everyone is discussing why it's not so underrated. another fun thing with bowser jr is you can kart on all the bottom platforms in Big Battlefield i think.
while it is possible to preform, i have to admit its quite hard. Ive never tried it in a match cause nobody plays against me cause i like kirby.

Top Bottom