• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Ultimate to Melee: Do I Need Shield Drop Notches?

Staub

Smash Cadet
I’ve been playing Ultimate competively, but after watching GOML and just watching a poop ton of Melee it’s time to learn both and stop being soft and grind both games everyday. That being said, I am about to get my controller modded. I was wondering what exactly are shield drop notches, and how much does it affect. For example, if I go for a diagonal input on my stick, will it feel different after I get a shield drop notch? I’m just confused as to what it is but I am sure I need it

Last edited:

dvatch

Smash Cadet
shield drop notches will barely change the positions of your notches. They make shield dropping significantly easier though
(As long as the modder is good)

Last edited:

CAUP

Smash Journeyman
A lot of tournaments are using UCF now a days which makes shield drop notches irrelevant. I would first practice shield dropping to see if you need notches. Some controllers are better at it then others.

xTorn

Smash Rookie
I’ve been playing Ultimate competively, but after watching GOML and just watching a poop ton of Melee it’s time to learn both and stop being soft and grind both games everyday. That being said, I am about to get my controller modded. I was wondering what exactly are shield drop notches, and how much does it affect. For example, if I go for a diagonal input on my stick, will it feel different after I get a shield drop notch? I’m just confused as to what it is but I am sure I need it
No, but if you want an easier time then you can do that. Just know you definitely don't if you wanna shield drop consistantly.

Top Bottom