• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

UIUC(Champaign/Urbana) @ Sat April 21, 2007

TIA

Smash Rookie
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
TIA's Super Smash Bros Tournament
Hosted by the Taiwanese Intercultural Association

Date: April 21st
Time: Register at 7pm, brackets are set at 7:30pm!!! Come before then for friendlies!
Cost: $5
Where:
Illini Union, Room 407, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1401 West Green Street, Urbana, IL 61801

Sw33t Prizes!

Primary Format:
  • Double Elimination
  • Singles VS Melee, Best 2/3, 4 Stock, 6 Minute Timer, No Items

Try to bring your own controllers!!

**We may use 3 stock at 5 minutes, or resort to a best-of-one format, due to time restraints.**
**These limits are subject to change, should we get more/less systems & tv's**

Stage Selection:
If both players can agree on a stage, then use that stage. Otherwise, random one of the six stages from the pool below.

Stages: Final Destination, Kirby's Dreamland 64, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, Pokemon Stadium, Fountain of Dreams

Glitches used to stop your opponent from controlling their character or indefinitely freezing them (Mewtwo's Soul Stunner, the Ice Climber freeze glitch), or any glitch or trick that freezes the game or makes it unable to be finished are banned and will result in the immediate forfeit of the entire match.

Tactics such as Peach's Wallbombing and Jiggly's Rising Pound are allowed as methods of recovery or to maneuver around the stage. Using them (or any similar tactics) to excessively stall a match, such as dropping below levels intentionally and stalling underneath, is banned.

RSVPing Closes 12am, Sat, April 21st (Friday night)!!!
This will make registration on tournament smoother.
Please provide a name and the dormitory hall where you tend to play with your friends.

The brackets will be set so that you will be less likely to play people from the same location. All is needed is something like:

ISR, FAR, PAR, Allen, Peabody, Weston, Snyder, etc, or Off-campus

Numbers will eventually be assigned to contestants. I will assign them as I get rsvp's and update them here.

FAQs
1. When do friendlies start?
See post #30

2. What's "Sw33t Prizes" supposed to mean? Is it worth driving x hours for?
See post #39

3. Wait, so what are the prizes going to be?
See post #43

4. How big is the room?
Big enough for up to 10 stations (haven't got 10 yet tho) and a small standing crowd per station. Once the tournament winds down, we can clear up some space for the the last few matches.

RSVP list as of 1:20pm, April 21st
01 Phil Nguyen towns
02 Richard Chen towns
03 Tim Huang towns
04 Lynn Mueller allen
05 Andy O'Brien peabody
06 Jonathan Trossman peabody
07 Tom Radovich peabody
08 Matt Radovich peabody
09 Shang offcampus
10 Colin Das wardall
11 Dean Knox wardall
12 Frank Lam towns
13 DK towns
14 Kim Tan wardall
15 Mike Yao towns
16 Aaron Ringgenberg towns
17 Robin Yang allen
18 MJN peabody
19 Vikaas Shanker (Karma) towns
20 Matt Patton
21 Christopher Amirilari far
22 Lathaniel Mejias
23 Adam Yin
24 Howard Wei offcampus
25 Joshua Sheldon offcampus
26 Rahul Mehta
27 Camille Tan
28 Quincy M
29 viperboy peabody
30 Abe Salinas offcampus
31 Peter Mui
32 Jeff uang
33 Jason Wei offcampus
34 Jonathan Liu
35 Aaron Beal
36 Joey Levin
37 Karen Ortiz-Rendon
38 Henrik Lomotan peabody
39 David Wu wardall
40 Deku offcampus

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Oh man, these prizes had better be sw33t.

If too many people show up, turn the stock down to 3 before you go to best-of-one.

slomo431

Smash Ace
Nice, another opportunity for me to lose $5. I'm there. When are friendlies?

TIA

Smash Rookie
Hey anyone who reads this and thinks they might want to come, rsvp'ing will make our registration on tournament day a lot easier.

Please give me a name and a location.

location - The brackets will be set so that you will be less likely to play people from the same location. Just write something like:

ISR, FAR, PAR, Allen, Peabody, Weston, Snyder, etc, or Off-campus

name - self-explanatory?

oh, and Numbers will eventually be assigned to contestants. I will assign them as I get rsvp's and update them here.

sjiang

Smash Rookie
@10th-Karma: How ironic, there use to be a falco and luigi player in room 281 =)

I think I'll try to show up:
Shang, off-campus? i guess.

Jhunwung

Smash Rookie
The prizes...

I actually heard that it's going to be cash prizes... but in response to Jonathan Trossman and the Falco+Luigi in 106... my roommate and I live in 471, come find us sometime, we're always up for a match... always. :chuckle:

_marth1_

Smash Lord
i dont think it's cash because the first post would have said "cash prizes" and not "sw33t prizes" even though cash is sw33t....and also gambling on campus is illegal or something

TheWalkingThano

Smash Journeyman
If you don't want to play against your friends early on, just make sure you provide the same location.
Well, then I guess I'm gonna change mine to:

Jonathan Trossman - Peabody

I feel really dirty doing that but hey, whatever works.

I live in 508 and my door is always open if I'm in there. If you wanna play smash I'm always up for it.

sjiang

Smash Rookie
Maybe I should actually explore townsend instead of always bother peeps in wardall... you quickly realize it's a lot easier to sneak into ;)

*jots down rooms 106 n' 471 n' 508*

Maybe see you guys around =)

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
Considering that all the people I play are from "Peabody" I should put that down as well.

sjiang

Smash Rookie
umm.. no... haven't done that for a while. For townsend neyways. Stupid david

TIA

Smash Rookie
We're going to try to set up a while before 7pm to let people play friendlies beforehand and register. 7:30 bracket set is just advertised time. It will probably be a little bit later, after some announcements have been made.

And just to throw it out there:
The more stations we have, the more likely the tournament will stay 2/3, 4 stock, 6 min, double elim, and the faster the tournament will go.

If anyone has a projector, and is willing to let us borrow it for the tournament, PLEASE let me know. (kcheng4@uiuc.edu) This will hopefully let everyone get a view of the brackets and list of current matches up on a wall.

(btw, a TV with a VCR that can record the last few games would be real nice.)

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
If I get my RF module back in time (or if someone has one?) I'll bring a setup.

sjiang

Smash Rookie
@AOB: An RF module is just that weird thing that lets your AV output go into one of the older inputs?

It looks like a disc with I think, 3 plugs? I believe I have one then. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go, so I can bring that if you want? My tv, actually my roomies, is just too bulky to move regularly.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
It goes into a TV without the red/yellow/white. If you have that, sure, bring it and I can bring my stuff.

TIA

Smash Rookie
We have been deliberately vague about the prizes because of the restrictions the university has, and we're trying to see what we are and aren't allowed to give/advertise. It's likely we'll clear up the issue within the next few days. Sorry for the inconvenience.

[edit]
oh, but just fyi, this is not as serious as something like SMYM. This is more of a just-for-fun kind of competition while still keeping the tournament format. Frankly, unless you have some other reason to visit uofi, I personally would not think this tournament alone is worth a 3 hour drive. =\

Top Bottom