• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Uair is not a good move - Your alternatives?

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
So I've deduced that Uair simply is not a good move if your intent is to combo someone. Ryu's focus in the air at low-mid percents should be bring his opponent back to the ground in combo. Uair does not accomplish this. It does decent damage and can kill at high percents but it only accomplishes juggle pressure. The use for Uair in combo comes from it's first hit which we don't know a whole lot about yet. I've found that FH Fair will end in time for first hit uair to come out which is a true combo at low percents with sweet spot fair and mid/higher percents if using the sour spot fair. I also think SH falling uair is guarenteed for followups though the true combo meter doesn't counter

BUT ANYHOW, the reason for this thread is discuss the 2 better options for down throw follow ups, fair followups, or just guiding your opponent back to the ground and that is nair or down air. Not much to explain here except both can bring your opponents down ward and back to the tilt/special strings we love. Just a little PSA, nothing else. Good day!

ArccJPO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ArccJPO
I think Uair is pretty decent, bein easily comboable if used twice for juicy damage pretty quickly.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I think Uair is pretty decent, bein easily comboable if used twice for juicy damage pretty quickly.
True they can string low percent or fair to uair but for the juicy combos, i find it weak since it send your opponent where you can't reach them

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I dunno yet. Uair can combo well if you have platforms, so it's a pretty good move for BF and the like. Otherwise on FD, I'd say it's pretty subpar. Probably best as an anti air, and juggles out of FA1. Played so much Rosalina I don't remember what staying on the ground feels like.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
After a Fair at Mid percents you could follow up with jump tatsu when they are out of reach of your normals.
You can try using nair to set up up tilts and jab combos.

Last edited:

Elessar

Nouyons TO
NNID
Veritiel
3DS FC
3711-8466-0515
I like uair to finish a combo at early percents. Let's say your opponent in 20% and you land a grab. Pound and throw won't be as damaging as pound, dthrow to uair. Considering that this is he only combo we know so far from Ryu's throws, I think it's a good alternative.

Also, as said already uair give good platform pressure on shields from below.

HoodedAltair

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HoodedAltair
3DS FC
4442-0574-6679
I like uair to finish a combo at early percents. Let's say your opponent in 20% and you land a grab. Pound and throw won't be as damaging as pound, dthrow to uair. Considering that this is he only combo we know so far from Ryu's throws, I think it's a good alternative.

Also, as said already uair give good platform pressure on shields from below.
yeah but dthrow uair is no where near guarenteed. I think its a good combo ender but besides that nair seems like a better alternative.

PapaJ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SolidSnake1443
3DS FC
3282-3281-5746
Yeah Uair has a larger hitbox than just Ryu's fist. if you are trying to hit someone in the air above you Uair should be able to hit without trading on most characters. KO range isn't too bad if you're near the blastzone.

GiMiX

Smash Cadet
It has its uses. But at the moment for me it feels like I won't use it unless I have too (Platform shield pressure and clutch trades).
Kinda like how I would only use DK's Nair if I can't use Bair.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Up-air true combos (both hits) into itself and into shoruken and tastsu within specific ranges. Up-air -> Up-air -> Shoryuken is true as well. Do it on an opponent who is falling.

Top Bottom