• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

U-tilt out of walk

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I'm just asking, does anyone do this?

It's simple to do. You walk while holding the control stick at an upwards angle, and you hit C stick Up (assuming your C stick is set to smashes).

Just asking because it can be hard to land U-tilt when the only way you set it up is through U-air or spotdodges, but the reward of landing U-tilt at low percents is awesome.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Good 'mindgame' potential in theory, but I see it as unviable most of the time.

Let's say the opponent is grounded. The only time I can even imagine this being applicable is if you're approaching a shielding opponent. The game has so many defensive rewards to this kind of maneuver that even if they don't predict it the chances of them getting hit by it are little. Most shieldgrabs will beat it, sidestep has too many invincibility frames and Utilt too few hurtbox frames to catch them, anything done out of shield will probably be initiated out of range, or will outprioritize the move. Roll will obviously not get hit. If they hold shield, then it's a free retaliation for them. The only time I can see this connecting is when it interrupts a slow shieldgrab or a poorly executed OOS attack, or you predict the sidestep in which you won't have to do those input shenanigans in the first place.

If they are not shielding when you're walking towards them, then you're most definately going to get hit.

If the opponent is descending from the air, it's probably more viable, but again it's not the best option. Most people will travel faster than your walking speed. Airdodges are too good to get caught by this, and the majority of the cast will descend with an airdodge. If they attack then you should most likely connect or at least trade, unless it's a high range/priority move. Don't even attempt this against MK, lmao.

Yeah, if you know you can connect with a Utilt at low %, then do it; but this is by no means a safe, reliable, nor effective setup to it.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
If they air dodge however, you can time U-tilt pretty easily to hit them out of it. It DOES linger a bit.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
If you can hit them out of the airdodge, then do it. Why would you need to Utilt out of a walk then? You can run-shield-Utilt, you can stop walking and Utilt, you can walk-shield-Utilt...you need to explain why learning an unfamiliar input to walk->Utilt will help my game in specific situations, because I just don't see this as very practical.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Why even use the Cstick? If you're walking like that, just pressing A will do it.

So far, the only advantage I have found for walking Utilts is when you land one at low %s, to follow DI, though this is more useful for Kirby than Mario.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Hmmm... weird. I usually don't have a problem with getting Utilt instead of up-angled Ftilts this way... Then again, maybe I'm just used to positioning the stick for walking Utilts.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
The point is you can walk faster by doing C sticked U-tilts out of walk.

Top Bottom