• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two Topics, One Thread

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
Hello all!

So today I have two very different questions. One is strictly about Marth, and the other is about button usage.

Okay Marth mains, (or people with a lot of character knowledge), is Marth's standing grab longer than his dash grab? I have been contemplating lately if I should JC grab every time, as it APPEARS that his standing grab gives me more range. I've looked into the......grab boxes (excuse my lack of terminology. I'm basically saying I've looked at the grab collision bubbles when viewing frame data) and I truly just do not know. If anyone could answer this, it would be great so I can start the long process of getting used to JC grabbing a lot (or not if it proves unnecessary).

My second issue is that I use R for everything (wavedashing, l-cancelling, and shield). This feels extremely comfortable to me, but a better player (whom happens to be a close friend of mine) recommended I don't use R for everything. As I'd rather not switch to using L for some things just due to the fact that will set my training back (however I'm willing to if necessary) I will if switching will improve/make my playing more fluent.

Anyways, thank you so much guys for even taking the time to read my crap. Have a good evening!

Greasy

Last edited:

Uchihadark7

Smash Journeyman
I can't answer the first question, but the second one is up to you. I personally use L for wavedashing, L cancelling and most of the time, sheilding, so that I cant keep my right finger on the Z button.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
I use r for everything as well, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Possibly the hardest tech to do with only one trigger is wavedash oos. If you pull the trigger down right before it clicks, you'll still full shield. from there you can jump oos and wavedash by clicking the trigger down the rest of the way. I know m2k uses this, so it must be good amirite? :joyful:

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
I use r for everything as well, and it's not as bad as people make it out to be. Possibly the hardest tech to do with only one trigger is wavedash oos. If you pull the trigger down right before it clicks, you'll still full shield. from there you can jump oos and wavedash by clicking the trigger down the rest of the way. I know m2k uses this, so it must be good amirite? :joyful:
Heh, you probably are right! Thanks a lot for the insight!

Delta Chae

The Observer
I believe that his standing grab has more range but that's not the only reason it sees more use over dash grab. It also comes out 3 frames faster and has an animation length of 30 frames as opposed to dash grab's 40 so it's a little safer on whiff. The only disadvantage standing grab has against dash grab as far as I know is that it whiffs on a crouching Puff opening you up to a Rest punish.

Last edited:

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
I believe that his standing grab has more range but that's not the only reason it sees more use over dash grab. It also comes out 3 frames faster and has an animation length of 30 frames as opposed to dash grab's 40 so it's a little safer on whiff. The only disadvantage standing grab has against dash grab as far as I know is that it whiffs on a crouching Puff opening you up to a Rest punish.
Okay, thanks! I'll be sure to utilize JC Grab more often, and I'll keep that puff info in the back of my mind. Thanks!

Ten of Nine

Smash Apprentice
Yea for the grab just always do the JC grab, there's a reason all top Marths pretty much only use the JC grab.

Do whatever feels comfy concerning the buttons.

But I would recommend being ambidextrous and even using Z for certain applications. Almost all pros use L, R, and Z for different things if you watch their hands. Some reasons:

1. You can easily WD OoS using both L and then R or vice versa
2. You can trigger trick one shoulder button to make power shields more consistent (I use Yoshi so this is a must for parrying)
3. Less strain on your hands, and less chance of damaging something since you will be minimizing repetitive or identical motions
4. I know some Ganon and CF players that use both L and R to double L cancel when they play ICs or taller characters. It can get strenuous but it can necessary for moves with a lot of hitlag (if they whiff or hit), hitting 2 targets, hitting high/low on shields, etc....all which can mess up L-cancel timing

Last edited:

Greasy_SSBM

Smash Cadet
Yea for the grab just always do the JC grab, there's a reason all top Marths pretty much only use the JC grab.

Do whatever feels comfy concerning the buttons.

But I would recommend being ambidextrous and even using Z for certain applications. Almost all pros use L, R, and Z for different things if you watch their hands. Some reasons:

1. You can easily WD OoS using both L and then R or vice versa
2. You can trigger trick one shoulder button to make power shields more consistent (I use Yoshi so this is a must for parrying)
3. Less strain on your hands, and less chance of damaging something since you will be minimizing repetitive or identical motions
4. I know some Ganon and CF players that use both L and R to double L cancel when they play ICs or taller characters. It can get strenuous but it can necessary for moves with a lot of hitlag (if they whiff or hit), hitting 2 targets, hitting high/low on shields, etc....all which can mess up L-cancel timing
Thanks for this. I think I am going to try using L for shielding and stuff so I can use R for WD and WD OOS. Thanks again for the insight!

Top Bottom