• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Two diddy things you might not know yet!

Dowe

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone, I just registered here and I was browsing here to find some more information on Diddy Kong.

I read some stuff but I feel like that sticky doesn't contain everything, and I'm sorry if the things I'm going to tell you are already in there.

So anyway, two things I couldn't really find quickly about Diddy; one little thing that's easily overlooked and one move.

1) You can Smash Diddy's side-b attack. It travels closer to the ground, it's faster and has more reach than the tilt side+b. It's basically just better to smash it since it does most things better, except it doesn't jump over some mid-height attacks. Also, for recovery it might be good to mix up the two lengths so your recovery is less predictable.

2) When you're edgeguarding a character that's trying to recover from below, because Diddy's good at spiking but might suicide if he spikes with dair in that position, you'd usually just hang on the edge. But because characters like G&W, Kirby,Jiggs or Pit can easily hit you and then get back anyway, it might be better to surprise and attack. The way I edgeguard these players is hang on the ledge, drop down and immediately press up+b again. This is a reasonably fast move, and thus can be done repeatedly. There are two good points about this technique. The explosion when Diddy blasts away is a meteor smash, so you'll hamper your opponents recovery when it hits, if not killing them. Furthermore, it's reasonably safe since Diddy hurts people when flying up, and if he grabs the ledge he'll be invulnerable for a second again. If I may, I'll call it a barrelspike.

To be honest, I play online quite a bit but I've only barrelspiked someone about five or six times. It's a very situational maneuver, and not as reliable as dair, but on the other hand, I haven't died while trying it and I think it's a relatively safe move.

If these moves are well-known then I'm sorry to have taken your time making you read this, but if it's not and someone learned something by reading this I'm happy to make my first post a contribution to the many Diddy players in Brawl.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
I did know about the 2nd...but i never noticed the 1st one. Then again, after finding the "smash banana", i guess i should've assumed you can do two different things with the B button attacks as you can with A attacks.

Elementals

Smash Rookie
I didn't know about smash side-B. I guess I've always smashed it. And I use the edgeguarding technique to avoid some final smashes. I also use to to mix things up against this amazing edgeguarding pikachu I play with. I actually had to resort to straight up rocketing back onto the stage.

Dojo Sam

Smash Cadet
Ditto on the smash side-B... thanks for that one. The term "barrelspike" is snazzy -- I'll say that much.

WIGI

Smash Champion
i will ahve to try this smash side b, ive somtimes noticed it, but i never thought it had anything to do if i was smashing or not.

Lithos

Smash Cadet
Can you clarify on the Smash side-b thing? Like, does the flip just go lower or is it a stronger kung-fu kick or what...? I can't seem to make it work.

The |Egg| Sniper

Smash Apprentice
As with everyone else, I knew about the Barrelspike, but not about the Smash Monkey Flip...

Also, the power of the Barrelspike is directly tied to how much you charge it up, I believe. So popping it on the fly is best used against people at decent %s, not when you chuck them off at the beginning of the match :p

I'll look into that Smash Monkey Flip. It'll help get more grabs, I'm sure.

Cranberry Rogue

Smash Journeyman
After testing it out, I honestly couldn't wrap my head around the whole smash side B thing. I tried to see some sort of difference between the two different versions, but I couldn't really pin point anything. Maybe I was doing it wrong?

Dowe

Smash Rookie
It's faster, goes a little bit further and it's closer to the ground. Try hopping over Final Destination and see how much jumps it takes with each method. But it's still better to check the height of the jump though, it's easier to see.

WIGI

Smash Champion
tha barels wil still spike no matter how long they are charged, and no matter what % they are at. if you hit the right spot, it spikes.

Dowe

Smash Rookie
That may be true but I imagine it doing more damage and spike harder when it's more charged.. I haven't tested this, though.

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
I've certainly noticed a difference when smash flipping. If you only tilt from the far left side of FD, you don't even make it to the center diamond. Through a smash flip, you slide almost to the center. It is a MINOR difference, but it's there.

Dowe

Smash Rookie
Yes like I said, length isn't such a difference but it's easier to facehug since it's faster! :D

Top Bottom