• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turtwig IVs.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Hey everyone. I'm trying to get an Adamant natured Turtwig with some good IVs, and I tried breeding this one Brave Turtwig to see what's it's IVs would be. I leveled it up to 16 and used MetalKid's IV calculator.

Here is what I got and keep in mind this was before I added EVs.

HP - Possible 10/11 (Eww, I know)
Attack - 24/25
Def - 19/20/21
Sp. Attk - 22
Sp. Def - 17
Speed - 25

I was thinking of replacing the current father in the breeding process with this Pokemon, but I'm not too sure really. I was hoping to get some people's opinions. If I should still go for the Adamant nature or not.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
While you don't have any extremely atrocious IVs, I think you should rebreed just for the fact that your lower IVs are placed in the wrong places =/ If 10/11 and 17 were SpAtk and Spd, then I'd keep it, but Torterra really wants max (or as high as you can get) HP and your SpDef is less of a problem, but still rather low. If you're satisfied with its higher IVs, then just use it as the father. I myself could never be bothered with breeding 31s unless it was speed or getting a specific Hidden Power. Haha. And even then, I sometimes got lazy and just adjusted the speed EVs to hit a magic number instead of rebreeding.

EDIT: Sorry, meant IVs. Must have been really really misleading =( Sorry.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Well, I didn't even figure in the EVs for that yet, though maybe I should plug the EVs I planned on having for him into the IV equation and try it out then.

I also, however, have some new stats from an Adamant nature, and it DEFINITELY looks like a keeper.

HP - 30/31
Attk - 14/15/16
Def - 26
SpA - 15
SpDef - 10/11
Speed - 24

Now, I haven't add the EVs with this either, and I plan on just doing 6 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Defense. You think this is definitely a better one? I know that HP is. >_>

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Well, I didn't even figure in the EVs for that yet, though maybe I should plug the EVs I planned on having for him into the IV equation and try it out then.

I also, however, have some new stats from an Adamant nature, and it DEFINITELY looks like a keeper.

HP - 30/31
Attk - 14/15/16
Def - 26
SpA - 15
SpDef - 10/11
Speed - 24

Now, I haven't add the EVs with this either, and I plan on just doing 6 HP, 252 Attack, and 252 Defense. You think this is definitely a better one? I know that HP is. >_>
Crap, sorry, that was a typo. I meant IVs. That must have been misleading. Sorry =( And yea, I'd probably just take that one. The HP looks really nice. Btw, as for EVs, Torterra should almost always max HP to maximize defensive capabilities. Then crunch some numbers and give it enough defense to make Ttar's Crunch a 2HKO instead of a 3HKO. Put the rest in attack.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Thanks. ^^ I might end up using that one. I finally got myself an Adamant female Turtwig though, so it's off to giving her an everstone and more Turtwigs. Thanks for your help.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Well, I think I can say I finally found a keeper. XD

HP - 15, 16
Attack - 31
Defense - 31
Sp. Attack - 28
Sp. Defense - 22, 23
Speed - 16

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
hmm....i have a question. Im thinking of making my torterra a tank. I was going to try to max out defense and special d and hopefully get a decent hp. what you guys think.

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
you still need 31 hp

rebreed.

i would
I'm not using it for competitive play except with my friends. If I want one to go against people I don't know, THEN I'll breed more.

Also, if you want to make Torterra a tank, I'd say go for it, but I honestly think there are better Pokemon to choose tank-wise.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
I'm not using it for competitive play except with my friends. If I want one to go against people I don't know, THEN I'll breed more.

Also, if you want to make Torterra a tank, I'd say go for it, but I honestly think there are better Pokemon to choose tank-wise.
not for tank wise but because wood hammer is a staple for it
he is bad as a tank anyways 4x ice weakness and it is common

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
not for tank wise but because wood hammer is a staple for it
he is bad as a tank anyways 4x ice weakness and it is common
I've seen movesets for Torterra's without Wood Hammer, but you obviously know more about the metagame, and I don't. I didn't think about the recoil though.

When I think about it, I do hear Torterra used really as a sweeper, so...

Hmm, got a pretty good Abra.

HP - 27
Attack - 10,11,12,13
Defense - 27
Sp. Attack - 29
Sp. Defense - 10,11
Speed - 30, 31

I think it might be better than my one on Emerald, yay. <3

On another note, tshahi, I need your opinion. I'm going to EV train a Glaceon eventually and I don't know what spread I'm going to use. At first I thought 252 in Sp. Attack, 126 in Defense and Sp. Def, and 6 in HP, but someone else mentioned 252 Sp. Attack and 252 in Speed with 6 in ???. I thought that sounded better, but want someone else's opinion.

outofdashdwz

Smash Lord
Torterra won't be sweeping anything with base 109 attack and base speed barely remediable by Choice Scarf. Its stats and typing scream physical wall and it should be used that way. Either that or Choice Band, since it doesn't mind switching too often with quakeslide and stealth rock resists. It sets up Stealth Rock very well and can counter Tyanitar to an extent. Wood Hammer and Earthquake are nice STABs, and it can set up Leech Seed, both screens, and it can Curse if you're into that. Since when did having a common 4x weak automatically banish you to not being a wall? Okay, yea, 4x to common moves you're going to wall isn't very good (Aggron), but Swampert is used now more than ever, and every electric Pokemon and its grandmother carries HP [Grass]. Okay, yea, Swampert has awesome typing, but Torterra's isn't bad at all. Quakeslide resist with nice defense means it can come in on a plethora of things. Hell, I'd like to see Aerodactyl beat a Torterra with Stone Edge if it's not carrying Aerial Ace.

Btw, if you're going defensive with Glaceon, HP takes priority over both defenses. If you want to sweep with it, you might want to go Choice Scarf, as it has high enough base SpAtk to hit rather hard with STABbed Ice Beam. If you do go Choice Scarf, you want to be able to hit at least 227 speed without it, so with it you beat non+Spd base 120s, so you can Ice Beam Sceptile and Dugtrio to hell before they can touch you. That's 244 EVs in Spd assuming perfect IVs, but that's very unrealistic, so adjust your EVs according to your IVs. This means you'll need at least 29 Speed IVs though =/ So uhh you might want to just settle for hitting 213 speed (188 EVs with perfect IV) before the Scarf so you beat the non+Spd base 110s (Gengar, Jumpluff, Espeon, and friends). So basically, max SpAtk first, put enough speed to hit whatever you need (at least 300 with Scarf), then dump the rest in HP.

Btw nice Abra. Haha.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
i eally dont like glaceon at all in competitive play as vaporeon plays a better role anyways.

make glaceon a speecial sweeper, although its speed sucks. good defense okay special defense.
unless you want to use coice scarf, make the ev spread 252 sp attck, 252 hp, leftover speed or defense

Vaporeon is a better Baton Passer with Wish and Acid Armour and also huge HP to make huge Substitutes with. It also has Aqua Ring recovery and a better range of special attacks, even though it only really has Surf/Ice Beam/Shadow Ball and Hidden Power to work with.

Glacia has huge SAtk, and Ice is a decent attacking type, but an awful defencive type, where-as Water is a great defencive type. It's limited in what special attacks it can use off of it's 394 max SAtk though, Ice Beam/Blizzard/Shadow Ball/Hidden Power are the only good spattcks it really has(not a moveset). It's ability isn't as good as Vaporeon's either.

Vaporeon is more useful in competitive battling then Glacia imo, although Glacia looks better then Vaporeon imo.

Basically, what im trying to say is that glaceon does not have the speed or movepool to be that much of use. if you want an eveelution, just stick with vaporeon

Fizz-sama

Smash Ace
Yea, I've read from enough places that Glaceon isn't the best choice, but meh. It's all about trying things out and seeing what I like.

I greatly appreciate the input from the both of you. Thanks a bunch.

Top Bottom