• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turns out Cloud Can Still Grab Ledges when using the 2nd part of Climhazzard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
...You just need to be ABOVE the ledge when using it. When he's rocketing down he can still ledge snap, it's the transitioning animation and a bit after that nullifies his ability to snap. I've actually managed to spike some opponents while doing this, it's pretty useful for both that and recovering from high up so you're not forced to air dodge or challenge an attack, though it's still risky. The option is there regardless.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
...You just need to be ABOVE the ledge when using it. When he's rocketing down he can still ledge snap, it's the transitioning animation that nullifies his ability to snap. I've actually managed to spike some opponents while doing this, it's pretty useful for both that and recovering from high up so you're not forced to air dodge or challenge an attack.
It's not only the transition, there's a slight moment of time after he's falling where he can't grab either.

Also while we're talking about Up-B, it seems it's not really a spike, it just has set knockback with a -90 angle. It always hits for the same knockback (at least it seemed to from 0-150% on a Sheik).

It also doesn't kill anyone who is at or above ledge level and most chars can actually make it back if they still have their double jump. Use this technique cautiously.

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
It's not only the transition, there's a slight moment of time after he's falling where he can't grab either.

Also while we're talking about Up-B, it seems it's not really a spike, it just has set knockback with a -90 angle. It always hits for the same knockback (at least it seemed to from 0-150% on a Sheik).

It also doesn't kill anyone who is at or above ledge level and most chars can actually make it back if they still have their double jump. Use this technique cautiously.
Yeah, that sounds about right. It at least opens the possibility of a safer descent when you're off & Above the ledge though, so a good thing to keep in mind.

Being at least a full hop's worth of height above the stage before using up B seems to be about the safe spot. Just remember you can't slide left or right when going down, so be sure you're directly above the ledge. The knockback may be fixed, but it's still very possible to gimp a foe with it. Will probably be situational regardless.

Last edited:

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
As long as you're at least even when the stage when you initiate it, cloud can grab the ledge during the downward portion of climhazzard while facing the stage.

While facing away from the stage, he can still grab it at about the same range as Ground Pound or bowser bomb can, BUT, he has to start climhazzard at least a full jump height above the stage.

So- facing the stage, at least as high as the ledge before using. Facing away, a full jump above. Did testing on this today and just got home, saw that someone already made a thread and figured I would share what I found. Any distance lower than this always resulted in an SD.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
As long as you're at least even when the stage when you initiate it, cloud can grab the ledge during the downward portion of climhazzard while facing the stage.

While facing away from the stage, he can still grab it at about the same range as Ground Pound or bowser bomb can, BUT, he has to start climhazzard at least a full jump height above the stage.

So- facing the stage, at least as high as the ledge before using. Facing away, a full jump above. Did testing on this today and just got home, saw that someone already made a thread and figured I would share what I found. Any distance lower than this always resulted in an SD.

I would say that's a fairly accurate estimate but you can be slightly below the ledge. I once stage spiked my opponent (so I was below the ledge), mistankely pressed B twice and still grabbed the edge on my way down. So slightly below is still a possibility.

HFlash

Future Physician and Sm4sher
NNID
HFlash
This obviously doesn't resolve Cloud's lackluster recovery, but it does give him a mix up option. Good stuff!

Kalierdarke

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kalierdarke
I would say that's a fairly accurate estimate but you can be slightly below the ledge. I once stage spiked my opponent (so I was below the ledge), mistankely pressed B twice and still grabbed the edge on my way down. So slightly below is still a possibility.
Fair enough, if anyone wants to lab it to accurately find out the exact distances that'd be great, I'm not exactly good at this stuff. I was just giving a good starting point from what I found out =)

I've also stage spiked with cloud's ledge attack, that was amusing, he has some strange ledge traits.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Fair enough, if anyone wants to lab it to accurately find out the exact distances that'd be great, I'm not exactly good at this stuff. I was just giving a good starting point from what I found out =)

I've also stage spiked with cloud's ledge attack, that was amusing, he has some strange ledge traits.

Is it like Mario's getup attack? Because that's actually pretty neat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom