• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnip True Combos

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
In this video, we can see at 1:13 a combo involving two turnip throws in the same short hop. I'm trying to do so, I can throw the first one, grab the turnip, but the time I grab it, I touch the ground and I don't have time to throw it a second time. I even tried on Training mode 2/3 fast but I still touch the ground after grabing the turnip.

In this combo, there is no footstool so I don't know how to have time to throw the turnip again. Am I doing something wrong? Is it supposed to be a full jump rather than a short hop?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFh...b9X6zdsp3w&annotation_id=annotation_168976467

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I still don't understand how he is doing two throw in the same jump. In your video, he says it doesn't work the same way on Wii U version, I'm playing with this version so...

jugeeya

Smash Rookie
I still don't understand how he is doing two throw in the same jump. In your video, he says it doesn't work the same way on Wii U version, I'm playing with this version so...
He is "Z-grabbing" the turnip, which means that he uses the grab button (Z on Gamecube Controllers) to grab the turnip and not an airdodge (which may also be performed with Z with incorrect timing!)/aerial attack. Z-grabbing takes better timing (practice in Training!) but is vastly better because it allows immediate movement afterwards, such as another down throw in this combo.

I think it looks like the reason he said "it doesn't work the same way on Wii U" was because maybe on 3DS you could cancel an airdodge with an item throw, but I do not know for certain.

Key313

Smash Cadet
You do not have to use a grab button. The air dodge one will work just fine. If the second toss is not coming out then you are not throwing after catching the turnip fast enough. I think what EOE was saying about it not working the same was what I was talking about. Early on the 3DS hitting opponents with turnips pulled them toward you. On the Wii U and later on the 3DS that changed to where it knocks them away from you giving different possibilities.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
I'm pretty sure I'm pressing the shield/grab button fast enough. Just the animation of airdodging take to much time to throw the turnip again. I don't know if there is a difference between airdodge and grab button to catch it but I'll try. The problem is just the animation of airdodging. Even if I catch it really fast (even with slow-motion 2/3), the time Peach finish to dodge, I touched the ground. But if it is the timing the problem, as said jugeeya, maybe I'm just doing an airdodge rather than a real grab with grab button. I'll try this.

EOE

Smash Apprentice
After you air-dodge to re-grab the turnip, you have to immediately input the down-throw (down+A or down on the C-stick). This is a technique that can be used by all characters to cancel an air-dodge with an item throw.

jugeeya

Smash Rookie
I'm pretty sure I'm pressing the shield/grab button fast enough. Just the animation of airdodging take to much time to throw the turnip again. I don't know if there is a difference between airdodge and grab button to catch it but I'll try. The problem is just the animation of airdodging. Even if I catch it really fast (even with slow-motion 2/3), the time Peach finish to dodge, I touched the ground. But if it is the timing the problem, as said jugeeya, maybe I'm just doing an airdodge rather than a real grab with grab button. I'll try this.
[redacted lol]

Last edited:

Key313

Smash Cadet
It's not the air dodge you need to do faster but is instead the second toss with the turnip. In fact, sometimes you delay the turnip catch to move forward a bit to get the second down toss to connect at higher percents. So the speed of the air dodge doesn't matter at all as long as you are close enough to grab the turnip. The animation for the air dodge should not play out fully if you do it right because the down toss will come out instead.

SoraDreamer

Smash Cadet
Yeah I saw this finally. I was able to cancel the animation of the airdodge by catching the turnip at the right moment. I thought it was the airdodge the problem but you was right, I wasn't catching the turnip will and throwing it fast enough. I'll have to practice it enough but at least I know where is my error.

Another "problem" I found also is just that this combo is almost impossible to do while fighting. On Training with a static fighter, we can do this, but I don't know at all how to do it on a fighter who is running and attacking. It's probably just a loack of practice but it seems really impossible during a real fight.

Top Bottom