• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turning your Melee hands into Brawl hands...

LavisFiend

Smash Lord
NOTE: I want to first apologize about my combo thread. It would seem that there is a miscommunication over a general word and the many definitions it has. I came off as arrogant and a prick, but I really can't help it. What you guys need to realize though is that you don't have to get sand in your hooch every time someone says something that you do not agree with. I used the term "combo" to describe a string of attacks where the opponent cannot fight back and is being attacked continuously. It is a combo in my eyes, whether or not the literal definition agrees with it. With that said, quit pm'ing me with your stupid flames. I don't give a crap, but I talk to my friends through that, and you just contribute to clutter. /NOTE

With that said, on to the real purpose of the thread.

Let me first say this: If you are going to start training your hands into Brawl hands and don't wish to lose your Melee skill, then you have a decision to make. If you still want to be a god at Melee, then I highly recommend you don't unlearn all that stuff. However, if you are completely backing Brawl and it's future, and wish to get optimum control with your hands, then I suggest trying this out.

This helped me big time, and it made my transition from Melee to Brawl very smooth. I back this method because I practically done this 5-6 hours after getting Brawl.

Some will make the transition easier than others. This is heavily weighed in on just how tech-savvy you were in Melee. There are 5 stages, with 1 being the lowest and 5 being the high:

1: These people did not do any techs whatsoever, save for the wall jumping and other obvious ones.

2:Sporadic showmanship of fast falling and short hopping. Are they aware of what they are doing, or is frantic button mashing the true culprit?

3:They have mastered sensitivity techs. These of course being Short hops, Fast Falls, even L cancel. The l cancel however may still be iffy, but the SHFF is largely mastered enough to be used consistently. As far as other techs go, sporadic usage. I was a 3 personally.

4: The pseudo-pros. Above average execution of melee techniques. With more practice, they can even stand toe to toe with a pro. There are still little holes in the consistency, but they have a grasp on it.

5: Pros. Not just any pros either. Their mind and hands are a completely different entity as they pilot their character at mindblowing speeds all over the level. They have reached a peak that many others can never reach due to lack of training or care. These are the hardest to break, and I will explain why later.

The first thing you need to ask yourself, is that, after looking at the descriptions, which number are you? Once you have your number in your head, then comes the fun part: Melee cleansing.

This will be harder for the higher numbers, but if you are a lower one, you will find that it feels almost natural. Again, final warning, if you treasure your melee skills, don't even think about doing this. The reason why is that we are snuffing out anything and everything in regards to Melee. Anyways, onto the descriptions. Have your number in your head? I will start from 1, and end with 5.

1: You guys will make the leap very easily. You played the game raw and didn't pick up on anything that required complex timing and sensitivity of button presses. All I want for you to do is to go to training, and practice adjusting to the float. You will find that it seems a little strange, but after a few presses, you should pick up on it nicely. Not much to say for you guys. I want you to do this for 45 minutes to an hour. Practice adjusting your jumps and your floating attacks. Get the timing down. I recommend using Mario.

2: You have very frantic hands. There is some signs that you have a very vague idea of what you might be doing, but it doesen't show through consistently. In Melee, that was an issue due to the speed. In Brawl? Perfect time to fortify your hand speed in accordance to Brawl's new physics. What I want you guys to practice is sensitivity button presses. Fast Fall, Short Hop. Obvious things. The best character to use for this exercise is Diddy/Mario/Falcon/Fox. Choose whomever. I found that Diddy was much more easier to pull off a SHFF with though. Practice your sensitive button presses for an hour or an hour and a half. Once you feel comfortable, put on a level 2-3 computer (so that you don't get too anxious and start spazzing out because he is attacking you) and feel it out. That is all I have to say for twos.

3: Hay guys. :bee: This is my turf, and with this method, it helped me out big time. If you are in the same boat with me, then grab a paddle and get ready to row. We are heading for rough waters. :laugh:

The BIGGEST thing that I found troublesome personally, was that I found that my muscle memory in terms of timed button presses were nearly automatic. I was completely out of sync because I would always just press a little too hard or a little too soon. The floaty physics had me all over the place as a result, and I figured I had to tackle that first. The thing is, we may be 3's, but it won't be that hard to make the transition; it'll just take a little concentrated effort on your part. So what did I do? Read on.

First off, I want you to select Ness, or if you don't have Ness unlocked, go win 5 matches in Brawl and unlock him, then meet us back here. Why Ness? He is very, very floaty, and I just found him more comfortable to use for this method. Feel free to use Mario or whomever, but stay away from heavies for now. What we are going to do with Ness is simple: We are going to jump. Alot. No attacks, no spazzed flying, nothing. Just jump. I want you to short hop. Obviously you won't be able to do it after a couple tries, but you will eventually pull it off. ONCE YOU DO, STOP! Try again. Did you long jump the second try, or was the short hop sequential? If you long jumped, I want you to try short hopping until you are able to short hop 10 times in a row. If you long jump during any of this, restart the count.

Do not cheat yourself because you are getting annoyed. If you are getting annoyed, take a break and smash somebody with a final smash. Better? Back to work. Did you manage 10 short hops in a row? Do you have a certain feeling when you press the button? Repeat that same pressure initated the first ten times, and do it every 5 seconds. The goal is 15 short hops. Remember, 5 second spacing, and if you long jump during any of this, restart the count. Did you pull off 15 short hops? Now, SH every 3 seconds until you get to 20. Once you get that, SH every 1 second until you get to 25. Do this for 50 minutes-1 hour, remembering to start over from the beginning once you complete the entire process once. Once you got it set in your head, then it is time to learn the speed for fast fall.

For fast fall, repeat the same process you did for the short hop exercise. Once you are able to do both things somewhat consistently, add a move to the exercise. You will find that you are able to SHFF quite nicely. If you are not, just practice some more. You will also be surprised to know that your controller, is quieter! :laugh:

Onto 4 (PHEW! A-LOT OF WRITING ;A;)

4: We are beginning to enter the part where you will have to say goodbye to Melee if you wish to be able to optimize your hand performance. Still play it, sure, but know that to unlearn Melee is a vital step in making way for Brawl hands.

The issue with you guys is that your muscle memory is so integrated with the skills and motions from Melee, that you are nearly all over the place and really sloppy in Brawl. There are a lot more hedges to clear out than with 3's, because you learned to swim from a deeper pool and are able to hold your breath for quite a healthy time underwater, so to speak. We need to mold your muscle memory into something that Brawl can translate into tidy actions.

The biggest thing that needs to happen for you guys is to perform the steps that you would originally do for advanced techs such as wavedashing and DJC, but don't conclude them. By this I mean, do the steps leading up to the skill, but don't initiate the action that caused the tech to occur. The wavedashing steps have to be the easiest, because Sakurai saved you the trouble and completely erased the last vital concluding step to make a wavedash happen. I still want you to pretend you are going to do one. I want you to mimic the motions of the advanced tech because if you do it enough, you will eventually begin to get out of the habit. I want your hands to realize that they are incapable of placing the last piece, and will be able to make the motions just motions, not a tech.

I'll use Wavedashing as an example. I want you to jump, and just airdodge. Don't try to be slick and jump from it. Just do the raw motions. Do it 15 times, consistently, with 5 second gaps. Once you nailed all 15 without botching it up, up it to 20 with 3 second gaps, then finally, 25 times, 1 second gap. I can't go through the entire list of all the techs, that would just take way too long, so instead I want you to do this. Zero in on the ONE tech that you did religiously. The ONE tech that you consistently done, and break it.

For SH and FF information, refer to 3's explanation. Remember; do the motions of the advanced tech, but do NOT attempt to make it work. You are basically out thinking your hands and smacking them with a newspaper saying, "BAD DOGGIE!"

and finally, the 5's.

5: If you are incapable of letting Melee go and refuse to lose all your progress from Melee, than by all means, do not. The steps for you guys is simple; Answer the question of, "Would you be willing to completely exercise yourself to clean your hands of Brawl?" If you say no, then don't proceed, and I wish you a fun romp with Brawl all the same. If you do however...congratulations, but it will be extremely tough to unlearn skills your body has adapted too for years. The steps I listed in 3 about SH and FF I want you to double the initail exercises, and the same for #4's process of breaking their hold on the chained motions of an advanced tech. I just want you guys to double the amount of everything from the initial exercises, and then it is just constant tweaking.

Well guys, that's all I have to say. I can't believe I had the patience to type all this, especially considering I have Brawl in the next room.

Have a good day, and I wish you the best of luck!

pockyD

Smash Legend
this font is painful to read so i didn't read your post

i'm not flaming, i'm suggesting you change your font to the default so you get more of an audience and therefore, a response, which is what i'm sure you're looking for

twangy

Smash Rookie
I like it, it reads fluidly. I probably register a 2 or a 1 so not much work for me.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, because it's impossible to be good at more than one game!

Does a person have to unlearn how to walk on their feet in order to learn how to walk on their hands? Do you need to unlearn checkers before you can play chess? Do you need to forget quantum physics when you start to learn thermodynamics?

The idea that we need to lose our skills in Melee before we can play Brawl is ridiculous.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
this font is painful to read so i didn't read your post

i'm not flaming, i'm suggesting you change your font to the default so you get more of an audience and therefore, a response, which is what i'm sure you're looking for
Yeah, change it, it's hard on the eyes and way too thick.
Other than that, I've had no trouble adjusting to Brawl(I'm a 3-4 on your scale), it's just we all need to learn that air dodges no longer leave you open(and use them more). Or to adjust to the new way to cancel dashes, the shield(which is also way better than in melee, powershields are easy now).
Other than that... tripping sucks.:(

Mercury

Smash Apprentice
i don't think you give enough credit to semi-pros/pros. most pros i have met are usually good at multiple games, and they don't really have notions of playing game 2 like game 1 at all. it's the lower skilled players that might have trouble learning a game because they are the ones assuming they made Melee v2 and not Brawl.

yoshi_fan

Smash Ace
I am also in the third phase, but i don't like trainng. Strangely, i can only pull the techs and things in a fight, but in the training mode it seems like...hard to do it. Also i can do consistently all techs (even JCG) except L-cancel :S

Anyways it will be a great thing for practicing the change to brawl. Thanks ^^

(anyway, i left melee for a month or so, and i lost all my muscle memory, oh **** x.x)

KernelColonel

Smash Journeyman

Does a person have to unlearn how to walk on their feet in order to learn how to walk on their hands? Do you need to unlearn checkers before you can play chess? Do you need to forget quantum physics when you start to learn thermodynamics?

The idea that we need to lose our skills in Melee before we can play Brawl is ridiculous.
The idea is to transition your skills, not to lose them.

Idiot.

LavisFiend

Smash Lord

Exactly WHERE did I say it was impossible to be good at two games? Exactly, I didn't. You are putting words in my mouth, which just so happens to be my #1 pet peeve. Nice going.

I am merely saying that it would be far more difficult for some people to be stuck on Melee and try to adjust to a newer engine. Instead of having the impulses that Melee has gave to the player for the past 6 years, it would just be better to isolate and get rid of them. Assuming of course, if the player is absolutely DONE with Melee and does not wish to go back to it for serious play. If they still like it, then by all means; if they are ready to completely cut off Melee, then now is the time and I am offering a helping bite of info so that the transition goes smooth.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
Dude, did you even read his post?

5: If you are incapable of letting Melee go and refuse to lose all your progress from Melee, than by all means, do not. The steps for you guys is simple; Answer the question of, "Would you be willing to completely exercise yourself to clean your hands of Brawl?" If you say no, then don't proceed, and I wish you a fun romp with Brawl all the same. If you do however...congratulations, but it will be extremely tough to unlearn skills your body has adapted too for years.
Read that part. Tell me what it says.

Honestly, don't call me an idiot when you lack the reading comprehension to notice what I was talking about. It makes you look bad.

EDIT:

Exactly WHERE did I say it was impossible to be good at two games? Exactly, I didn't. You are putting words in my mouth, which just so happens to be my #1 pet peeve. Nice going.

I am merely saying that it would be far more difficult for some people to be stuck on Melee and try to adjust to a newer engine. Instead of having the impulses that Melee has gave to the player for the past 6 years, it would just be better to isolate and get rid of them. Assuming of course, if the player is absolutely DONE with Melee and does not wish to go back to it for serious play. If they still like it, then by all means; if they are ready to completely cut off Melee, then now is the time and I am offering a helping bite of info so that the transition goes smooth.

Why is that so hard to understand?
Hey, you're the one who wrote the words! If this isn't what you meant, then don't post it.

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice

Seeing as though they are similar games, but with vastly different physics, this is something that is difficult for the mind to really get down quickly.

You can be great at Melee and Brawl, but it would take a while with training your brain to know the exact timing of the game you're playing, when you start to play.

Really, your brain (and muscle memory) probably wouldn't really see them as very different - so you might find yourself being unable to short-hop in a Melee tournament (or at least needing to adust) if you'd been playing a lot of Brawl beforehand.

Think of it as writing with your right hand all the time, then deciding that you're going to do all of your history work with your left.

Obviously, different people will have different capabilities, but at least for me, I'd have much difficulty being good at both.

Lavos

Smash Journeyman
you're just being a moron and nitpicking. it's obvious that they are two very similar games, yet your examples are of things completely different. of course you won't try to step diagonally with your pawns in chess, but it's a given you will in checkers. for an analogy that's actually representative of the situation and not just of your idiotic yet unnecessary complaint: let's say you're writing a scientific essay as opposed to a historical one with chicago citation after majoring in history for six years. I really don't think it's too ridiculous if you accidentally write a footnote or two. that's probably way above your head though, "evil is subjective" lol, how insightful. seriously, go read a book or something.
Wow, you're really bad at flaming! I didn't take offense to that at all!

Perhaps I should have made my first post more clear. He stated that Melee pros are going to need to give up their Melee skills if they intended to be good at Brawl. That just doesn't make sense. Even if you picked up brawl and never looked back, I doubt the transfer is something thing that a few rounds of Melee wouldn't cure. Seven years of muscle memory isn't going to magically disappear after some time with Brawl. You're phrasing it too dramatically.

In retrospect, I suppose it's fair to brush me off as nitpicking. It's not like anyone who fits in group 5 would read this topic anyways.

thefindingmoon

Smash Cadet

I understand what he is say i think and he doesn't mean this.
when i use peach and pull out a turnip thats good but then whenever i switch to someone else i might make a mistake thinking im still peach for just a moment and and click down(B) lets say im pokemon trainer, i just switched out when i wasn't intending to same goes for zelda. it is not a quick fix and can mess you up

he isn't saying you have to "forget how to walk on your feet" but more so he is say don't play brawl like melee and don't forget wha tyou are playing.

Varuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
NOTE: I want to first apologize about my combo thread. It would seem that there is a miscommunication over a general word and the many definitions it has. I came off as arrogant and a prick, but I really can't help it.
Theres a painfully obvious explanation for that : (

Don't write that!

4: The pseudo-pros.
I Laughed out loud.

3: Hay guys. :bee: This is my turf
Thats just so quotable.

Any way the slight logical fallacy the pervades your entire post is this. "By necessity, technical skill in one super smash brothers (brawl) must overwrite technical skill in another(melee)." Don't make me look through your post again to find every time you said or implied it, I'm just saying.

Its not true, there are plenty of people who probably still play 64 regularly and melee, and maintain technical skill in both. I think Moogle and Malva00 still do. I'm not saying its easy, but it can still be done and I think the only process you have to go through is to just play them both regularly.

I'm saying this with nill ill-intentions, but brawl really hasn't even been out that long here(america) for anyone to get solid technical skill anyway. So there's no way for you to know that "pro" level brawl technical skill overwrites "pro" level melee technical skill.

That said come play us in laffy!

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Personally, I just have to disagree. The pros will probably make the transition very easily, as they know how to condition themselves, and how to think about the game on a general level. When they notice a new technique, they will learn it, and then learn how to implement it. It's like how they learned how to play Melee, and that ability to learn quickly and change their strategy will carry over.

Binx

Smash Master
Yeah what worked for me was just playing and noticing that I kept trying to jump cancel grabs and kept trying to wavedash, after like 2 hours I wasn't doing it anymore, you don't need to practice like that to not use a skill in a game that doesn't exist.

Ixninjax

Smash Journeyman
I never had much problem with the transition as brawl is basically doing less all the time when compared to melee. Shield, hop around spacing fairs or bairs, spam projectiles. How is that a hard transition? Im a technical fox player and don't have this problem at all (well, i do try to jump-cancel grabs though).

goth

Smash Rookie
Well Regardless of everyone elses opinion, I think that this is well written and intelligent and I'm going to try the excercises when I play tonight. Good Job.

Top Bottom