• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Turnaround During Shine

SeeRaY

Smash Rookie
I can't count the number of times I've gotten stuck in shine instead of jumping because Falco turns around and wastes the time I need to jump and this especially happens when I'm waveshining. I've dropped numerous combos because of this and have gotten killed and I've come here to beg for tips on how to avoid this situation. Any help?

Oskurito

Smash Lord
You don't want to avoid this, you want to get good at doing the turn around shine whereas you hit a shield or an enemy. It is very useful and once you master it you'll be able to move, combo and apply pressure more fluently.

EDIT:
Just a tip: For me is like waiting just a little bit more to wavedash out of the shine, remember you need to turn around first then wavedash. Practice by hitting another character is better, practice against fox or falco so you can do it multiple times.

Last edited:

Ausp

Smash Apprentice
Oskurito started down the right path... but he went somewhere else with it.

@ S SeeRaY
You pivot in your shine because you aren't holding on the exact down direction when you press the shine. You are actually holding another direction (the opposite one of the direction you're facing) along with down, which makes you pivot. I've come to realise that this is a problem for me as well. By observing this, I have learned that I don't really need to be holding on the exact down to do my shines. Its actually better when I hold the appropriate downwardly creased position when I shine for the outcome that I want.

What I believe you then need to do is, practice holding the downwardly direction that you are facing (unless you intend to pivot in your shine) to ensure that you do not pivot in your shine. You'll then notice that your character no longer pivots.
Something else that came to may attention, based on this realisation, is how easy it is to do, run -> pivot shine -> WD -> edgehog! Those are really just fundamental moves with the inclusion of that explanation I just gave on holding the opposite crease with the shine. You also find that your character doesn't really lag too much in pivoting either when you hold the direction from the get-go.

tauKhan

Smash Lord
I have had a problem with the wavedash part of the waveshine. If I wavedash back, I often input the direction before the jump to get good wd length, and this causes spacie to turnaround in the shine and miss the jump. So my solution was that I practised to input direction after pressing jump.

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
you just need to practice yo

practice step by step

alot of players seem to think, that just because you can do something, you've mastered it

thats not the case

practice each step religiously

when you get good enough, you'll be able to react and know when to turn around

I like practice with handicapped bowser (9) and 0.5 dmg with spacies

usually i put him as my teammate and put team attack on, then do the name entry glitch
this way i can keep hitting him, and he wont attack me

aerial > shine > turn around > shine
or
aerial >shine > turn around > wavedash

start by doing it all slowly then build up the speed

EDIT: when your tech skill lvl approaches 9000, get creative and do shine > turn around > JC shine > turn around > wavedash > repeat or add other swag

Last edited:
Top Bottom