• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to Learn How to Play Pit

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Ok, I just got back into the Brawl recently (2 weeks ago to be exact). For those of you who remember me, I was the guy that mained Diddy Kong, but now I main Pit. I haven't played the game for 5 months, but now im back into the game. Watching the videos and seeing how interesting of a character he is. I would like to learn all there is to know about Pit

Don't throw me a random link like "Go here and you can learn everything". Just please, give me a basic guideline of what aerials,tilts,smashes,throws,techniques, etc I should use with Pit. That type of stuff that I should know, in order to become a good Pit player.

Thank you :)

Afropony

Smash Lord
Utilt is an amazing move if they're close to you.
Fsmash is also really good.
Bair is best move for killing but you have to time it.
Uair has alot of priority on the sides but not the middle.
Arrows are great like everyone else has said.
Pit has a Fthrow chaingrab on people and for some other characters he can go fthrow>stutter step Fsmash.

can't really think of that much atm.

Esca

Smash Champion
Ok, I just got back into the Brawl recently (2 weeks ago to be exact). For those of you who remember me, I was the guy that mained Diddy Kong, but now I main Pit. I haven't played the game for 5 months, but now im back into the game. Watching the videos and seeing how interesting of a character he is. I would like to learn all there is to know about Pit

Don't throw me a random link like "Go here and you can learn everything". Just please, give me a basic guideline of what aerials,tilts,smashes,throws,techniques, etc I should use with Pit. That type of stuff that I should know, in order to become a good Pit player.

Thank you :)
Chompy. First thing you need to know. Moves NOT to use.

Usmash. No priority.

Sideb. Laggy.

Nair. It cancels, sure, but you can fair for more damage.

To be completely honest, do everything in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RmXt4BupAQ

It'd be better to just PM me for any more help.

Anyone else for that matter can do that as well. I'll respond way quicker.

Arc_Revived

Smash Journeyman
There will be times where you have to approach. If someone is too close to arrow, but far enough to be out of melee range, that'd be a good time to approach with an Nair if you're facing a D3, DK or other large characters. Approaching switches up your playstyle too, keeping the enemy guessing. You told me yourself to work on switching up playstyles and being aggressive is a part of that. As for Usmash. I find it situational, but not terrible.

goodkid

Smash Lord
You shouldn't approach with Pit. So rule out nair completely.

Usmash is a horrible move.
Just because its a bad move doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. There is a time and place for everything. Nair is a great move, I don't understand your logic :dizzy:

ShermantheTank

Smash Journeyman
Nair sucks in large characters, so if you're absolutely sure it'll hit go ahead and use it against them. Smaller characters get spat out way too easily, and since it has next to no range and little priority due to it's low damage, you can expect to get punished for trying to pull it out.

Honestly, all the moves we're talking about (and Pit in general) are good moves in the right situations. That's the big thing with learning Pit, I think; learning when to use what moves for maximum effect. A lot of characters have moves that should just never be used, but I can honestly think of at least one situation where every move in Pit's arsenal is the best choice.

MysteriousSilver

Smash Ace
Usmash is our worst move, but still has it's uses. Can cover platforms from below and such.

Nair is good in places for sure... knocks ICs apart so you can go after Nana, in addition to what's been said. Also usually a safe move for zoning since it has almost no frames of lag in either direction.

I like to use AR to punish spotdodges, just remember to stop hitting B before they escape. Last few hits + windpush make you relatively safe if you time it. Also useful for reflecting stuff like Thunder or Snake's Usmash that comes at you vertically.

Never use Usmash to hit people using dairs like Sonic's or Sheik's, they can hit through it if the timing is off. Uair is a thousand times better for this, Sonic can't do crap against it. Uair cancels out his bumper too. Utilt is still better if you don't have time to jump, never had it fail on me.

Utilt is a fantastic move to end a spotdodge war, if you're both on top of each other. Also good out of autocanceled Nair, since it starts up on frame 2. If they spotdodge your Nair, why not? Good damage too. Just awful, depressing range.

Jab is great for punishing without dedicating yourself to anything, and stopping some approaches.

Fsmash is wonderful for punishing (Frame 6, 19% I think?), and good for kills if it's fresh or you're having a hard time landing Bair

Only use Dsmash to hit in front of you, and be careful when you use it. If you miss, you'll get punished as Pit clumsily turns around to hit behind him. Even if the back hit gets them, it's nothing special. I hate that back hit. Don't use it as a GTFO move like some Dsmashes (Sheik, Zelda, etc.)

Dtilt is good range, pops people up to be juggled, and is faster than Ftilt for it's range.

Ftilt is probably the best ranged ground move, comes out slow but kills fairly well and at a low angle (Unlike Fsmash, which sends them up a bit). Safe on shield a lot of the time.

Fair is good for spacing, gimp kills, and just knocking people away. Little slower than I'd like it to be, but range and power make up for it.

I never use dair, probably should.

Bair is our best kill move, annoyingly hard to land though. Good for gimping people with poor recoveries because it stays out so long. Sometimes score stage spikes with it, too.

Uair is a sexy sexy beast. Good damage, hard to cut through, great for sharking, great for ledgecamping, great for almost anything above you (unless it's something like Link or Ike's Dair). If I was forced to play Pit with only one move, I'd choose this one. I've had it kill, too, though they have to be fairly high. God this move is so easy to land. I love this move.

Down-b is self explanatory. Reflects things, capes people around. Kill space animal Up-bs, Ness and lucas up-bs, Ike's up-b, Pika's side-b (or just arrow him), just about anything. Also, some of the laggier dash attacks can be reflected on the ground. Can also be used to shield hits in the air, but it's not as useful for that as I'd like it to be. First few frames has super armor.

Up-b... lives up to it's name. Seems great at first, gives you great mobility and great recovery, but fly to close to the sun (or get hit at any point in the move other than the very start) and you lose all your jumps, your up-b, everything. Try not to use it unless you have to. Wing refresh is awesome against some characters.

Neutral-b is what makes Pit, Pit. PewPewPew. Forces approaches, punishes everything done far away from you, gimps people off the side, loops for fancy taunts (lol) charges to change up the timing, generally fast and not too much lag afterwards. Everything you could ever want from a projectile.

Oh, and my advice may not be the best, I'm not hte best pit around, but that's basically my opinion on our whole moveset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom