• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to get into competitive smash.

Spazz Gamez

Smash Rookie
So I'm pretty new into the competitive scene and I would like to know what to do to get started. I'm no where near the age to go to tournaments so can I get some tips from a sparring partner.

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
Well you've come to the right place. Smashboards is a great community, and we'll be glad to help you.

Before you can begin to play Smash competitively, you'll need to know the basics:

-Dodging/Spot Dodging
-Shielding
-Recovery
-Attacking Options

These are the essentials to playing Smash. If you don't know, or understand these, I'd recommend watching Smash Academy, as they do a fantastic job on covering the basics. Even if you know the basics, there is still some advanced play tips in there, so be sure to check it out.

After watching the series, go ahead and practice a bit in the training room, and test your skills against mid leveled CPU's. If you're consistently beating them without a challenge, I still recommend training more. Once you think you're ready, read this guide by Daxilen and the community, it really jump-started my competitive skills.

These guides will teach you way more then I can, so again, go ahead and check them out. Also, if you'd like a sparring partner, I'm available at any time, so just hit me up.\

Happy smashing.

Smash Academy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPMHyD_6uCA\

The Beginner's Guide to Playing Comp: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-...ively-v2-plain-text-version-available.354776/

Spazz Gamez

Smash Rookie
Thanks #KingM! I've been working for months learning the fundamentals of attacking, approaching, and dodging/shielding. What I really need to work on is the advanced techniques such as Perfect Pivoting, Foxtrotting, Dash Dancing, etc. If you can play with me on Wii U that would be great.

Thanks,
Spazz Gamez

NGUY (guitarstage)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
guitarstage
Thanks #KingM! I've been working for months learning the fundamentals of attacking, approaching, and dodging/shielding. What I really need to work on is the advanced techniques such as Perfect Pivoting, Foxtrotting, Dash Dancing, etc. If you can play with me on Wii U that would be great.

Thanks,
Spazz Gamez
dude you are like very energetic i can feel it and my personal recomendation is assist online tournaments you will see tons of pretty good players and you will learn new stuff but keep that for later

Last edited:

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487

Thanks,
Spazz Gamez
Oh yeah for sure. Though, to be perfectly honest, I don't consider myself to be a Smash 4 pro, I'm more of an experience player. I can help you, but consider me as a "tutor" rather then a master. But for sure, I can Foxtrot and DD, as well as other advanced techniques. Hit me up when you wanna practice.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hey. Important tip: fundamentals>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>tech setups and tricks.
Also, stick to one character. You'll get Better that way.
Another thing is to not focus so much on tech. Reading your opponents, spacing, and prediction are far more important.
Play for glory like a tourney. 3/5 or 2/3, depending on preference. This way, you don't mess around.
Lastly, go here: http://sonichurricane.com/?p=460 and here http://sonichurricane.com/?page_id=1702

#KingM

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3926-6730-0487
Stop bumping this thread with notifications that you're streaming.

Can someone lock this thread please? I believe it has been answered.

Top Bottom