• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to get a little better with Bowser.

keronshb

Smash Cadet
NNID
keronshb
Switch FC
4854 8398 6875
Hey all! I'm sure some of you might recognize me from the other thread I posted about Bowser and his Down B. I'm back again asking for a few tips on Bowser. Bowser use to be one of my favorite villains of all time, and while I did like using him for fun in Melee and Brawl, I never really got too serious with him. I was really excited to hear that he was going to be really viable in the new Smash and I love using him!

Now I come to you all asking for a little help. I know I need to work a lot on my timing with some attacks and tweak my strategy a bit, but I definitely need some helpful tips with Bowser.

First is about his BAir. I know it's extremely good, but how exactly would I land this better and not look so obvious doing it? I don't just jump backwards all the time and try to hit with it, if I do that I at least try to mix up my game by doing NAir or just landing. Sometimes I try to run forward, do a quick pivot back and then try to get it, but I think I do it too early and jump over them or too late and get shielded.

Some other habits I have with Bowser, which might be good are:

1) I Dash > Fortress on the ground. I find that it works really good.

2) Dash > Shieldblock > Throw

3) Jump-in fire for those projectiles/extra damage

4) I keep trying to do the one trick where I can do his Down Smash, Up Smash, or Side Smash after running. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I have a lot of trouble trying to get the FTilt out after the dash trick, but sometimes I can get the UTilt or DTilt.

5) Dash > Roll back/forward to fake them out

6) Short hops/fast falls to try and bait.

7) Suicide if we're both even stock (sometimes, not all the time.)

I've noticed though I do have a lot of trouble trying to get his F Smash to land, as well as his UAir. Shields/rolls seem to rock my world on those, then again I'm sure it's just the timing. Also, does the Diagonal Up/Down have any different effect on the F Tilt? It doesn't seem too different in terms of the hitbox.

If I can get any tips on my playstyle and maybe how to land some of these things I will greatly appreciate it.!

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ok tip for back air. Run and pivot just like you said, get used to hitting the ground into an immediate upB. Back air connects to whirling fortress so well! When people predict the back air, especially if you are spacing well and they try to run up to you on the end of the animation you will catch them in the fortress more often then not!

Forward air into whirling fortress works pretty well also. If enemies love to roll around you, again whirling fortress! It's just Bowser's greatest tool to get people off his butt.

Last edited:

keronshb

Smash Cadet
NNID
keronshb
Switch FC
4854 8398 6875
Ok tip for back air. Run and pivot just like you said, get used to hitting the ground into an immediate upB. Back air connects to whirling fortress so well! When people predict the back air, especially if you are spacing well and they try to run up to you on the end of the animation you will catch them in the fortress more often then not!

Forward air into whirling fortress works pretty well also. If enemies love to roll around you, again whirling fortress! It's just Bowser's greatest tool to get people off his butt.
Ohhh, I like this! I know whirling fortress was pretty good, but not as versatile. What about his down smash? It doesn't seem like it's a good punish for rolls.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Ohhh, I like this! I know whirling fortress was pretty good, but not as versatile. What about his down smash? It doesn't seem like it's a good punish for rolls.
I haven't figured out Down Smash yet. I think it's because of the 3DS I'm so used to doing it with a C stick I don't do it as naturally as I used to. It used to draw people in somewhat, I'm not sure if that aspect still stands. I gotta test it out.

keronshb

Smash Cadet
NNID
keronshb
Switch FC
4854 8398 6875
I think that the vortex effect might of went to fortress. Also for Fortress on the ground, do you mash B like you would in the air? Would it generate more hits? Or does that just apply for more vertical movement in the air?

thatoneguy1

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4098-4043-2752
a little tip for fighting little mac when he is using armored moves you should use fire if you are far enough as it generally stops him from what i've seen.

keronshb

Smash Cadet
NNID
keronshb
Switch FC
4854 8398 6875
Yeah I've had a bit of trouble with some rushdown characters, but I've gotten a bit better since I started punishing with Fire and Fortress.

Top Bottom