• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trying to boost my Ganondorf skills in WiiU

Gerudo_King

Smash Cadet
NNID
Gerudo_Khan
I play Ganondorf in Melee all the time and I recently tried him out in Smash4. I thought he was better than he was in Brawl but still not as good in Melee. Any major differences I should know about? Between SSBM and SSBB Ganon compared to SSB4 Ganon that is.

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
The Brawl and SSB4 iteration of Ganondorf is much more about patience and punishment. You condition your opponent while damaging them, and then when you have them prepared both mentally and percentage-wise, you go for the kill with a read.

Ganon does not have L-canceling to pad his aerial game like he did in Melee but in SSB4 his landing lag is considerably lower due to a recent buff. He's overall similar to his Brawl iteration, but the general environment of SSB4 is much kinder to him and he has a multitude of buffs going for him. The only outright nerf from Brawl to SSB4 is the fact that his Dair cannot be autocanceled anymore.

StrikemasterIce92

Smash Rookie
I've heard that Ganon's forward tilt is actually really good in this game, and if you master it, can really win games. It's got a LOT of horizontal launch...

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
I've been using Volcano Kick far more often than I used to. A lot of people don't know how to deal with it and put up their shield, which of course ends quite poorly for them. :grin: It's a really effective edgeguarding tool too, provided you have good timing.

Last edited:

StrikemasterIce92

Smash Rookie
I've been using Volcano Kick far more often than I used to. A lot of people don't know how to deal with it and put up their shield, which of course ends quite poorly for them. :grin: It's a really effective edgeguarding tool too, provided you have good timing.
I've always found the volcano kick super hard to use. I can never get it to execute when I want it to for some reason. Is there a trigger that causes it to stop charging and attack?

Shogger

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shogger
3DS FC
2552-2996-2619
I've always found the volcano kick super hard to use. I can never get it to execute when I want it to for some reason. Is there a trigger that causes it to stop charging and attack?
Ganon's Utilt always falls down at a set time. Cannot be controlled once you input the command.

The Shadow Emperor

Smash Apprentice
Once you master the timing it's one of the most effective moves in Ganon's arsenal. Most people panic when they see you charging it up and basically walk right into their doom, and the large hitbox makes it even easier for you to land the move.

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Learn how to use Flame Choke and which of its guaranteed followups work on which characters, and how to punish the various getup options. It's an incredible move Melee Ganon didn't have that can turn games around from just landing it once, especially in Smash 4 where the punish options are much greater than they were in Brawl.

Top Bottom