• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Try and sell me on Corrin

D

Deleted member

I see a lot of people excited about Corrin's inclusion in Smash 4 and I want to know why. I'm decently knowledgeable on the FE series and I have interest towards playing through a few games in the series (Fates included), despite not having touched the series before.

However, Corrin's reveal trailer was probably one of the most de-hype things I've ever seen in the history of Smash. I didn't get any kind of humor out of the intro of it (Was it a modification of the game's intro? It hasn't come out yet, so I can't tell.) and I know nothing about the character, unlike Robin, who I knew despite not having touched Awakening (that game was released here). I don't feel compelled to learn anything about the character here, either. They're a customizable avatar that was probably meant to be learned about in-game -- and if they weren't, why would I bother getting to know them at all? (I bring this up because the Direct noted 'getting to know the character' as a point of interest.)

The character in gameplay doesn't interest me at all, either. They're a sword-fighter... No comment on how unoriginal that part is, but not even their specials interest me. Standard Special looks like a wonkier Zamus blaster shot with a follow-up, Side-Special is a mid-air tilt, except you can also hold enemies in place, except everyone can do that if they grab, Up-Special is Power of Flight with a hitbox, and Down-Special is... Counter... Like, they actually tried to say it was different. Does it look like Corrin's dodging the attack? Sure. Does it hit on both sides? Yeah. Did Slip Counter and most swordsman's attacks do the same thing with their animation and hitboxes respectively?

And it's not even like a Rivals of Aether character when I can feel the moves taken from other Smash fighters blended together well (before I played either), mostly because all of this looks REALLY unoriginal. Pit, with customs on, has THREE of these specials (a shorter Power of Flight with a hitbox, a slow, short projectile shot, and a counter), a sword-based moveset, and the universal ability to hold enemies in place via grabbing.

I'm open to the idea that I might like playing a new Smash character (I played Ness in Melee as a joke when I was, like, 6 and he became a main of mine), but I'm only seeing the negatives.

Why would YOU play Corrin?

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
you said his side B was basically a grab? Well most characters can only grab when they're on the ground. Having a grab-like move in midair (I realize that diddy has this also) significantly increases a character's mixup options. His U-tilt animation is completely unique among sword fighters. His neutral B isn't just zamus paralyzer, it also has a strong hit after the shot. Anyways, with so many fighting games out there, and ever fighting game having so many characters, I dare you to find a character that's COMPLETELY unique. Imagine if only one character ever had a jumping uppercut? Or if only one character ever had a rapid jab? Stop expecting complete uniqueness. Does Corrin share some attributes or moves with other characters? yes. Does that make him unoriginal? no.

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
The introduction was the main decision in the game where you decide between joining Hoshido or Nohr. It's literally ripped from the game (Aside from maaybe voice acting. Can't tell yet) until you hear Corrin talk. Literally one of the most important choices in the game, one of the biggest cut-scenes in the game, and it has been shown in multiple fates trailers. (almost) Anyone that has even slightly looked into Fates is aware of this decision and the cut scene to go with it.

The reason why the direct discussed getting to know the character is because they have a very peculiar personality in Fates on top of being the main protagonist (unlike in Awakening where it was Chrom). While they are customizable in every way imaginable, they definitely have a very specific personality regardless of which side you choose or how you customize your character.

The main thing with side-special is what you can do AFTER it. Sure, you can stick your dragon lance in them, but then you can follow it up with attacking them, or potentially cancelling it and going for a different follow up or jumping out of it and letting your doubles partner take care of them while you punish the enemy. The fact that he can stick his lance in the ground while impaling an opponent and fly backwards with a hitbox has potential to be very interesting as a character (especially in the doubles metagame). Also means he has a lot of potential to be a high-mobility character.

Also, they're not a standard swordfighter. They mix in their dragon fang moves which give them different properties compared to a sword fighter (probably removing some disjoints as well as being able to remove the realistic aspects of sword fighters, meaning more range and different angles and such). Regardless, very few of the sword characters play similarly in this game tbh. Pit plays nothing like Ike, who plays nothing like Marth, who plays nothing like Link, who plays nothing like Cloud and so forth. Just because they have a sword doesn't mean they fit into an archetype.

Pit's customs aren't very similar to Corrin's specials at all based on information presented. The "counter down-b" is just throwing out a shield hitbox from my understanding (even if it's not, it's just throwing the move out there and waiting for someone to hit it versus timing a counter to interrupt an opponent's move). The arrow is nothing like a stun-based projectile that you can follow up with a specific attack or do what you want afterwards. The up-b seems to have angles similar to Roy more-so than it can relate to Pit's customs. >__>

You're trying too hard to relate this character to others. While it's understandable to dislike Corrin due to him being another FE rep, saying that he isn't a unique fighter is simply incorrect. :v

Last edited:

Space Stranger

space cowboy
NNID
ThePowerBlaster
3DS FC
1160-9748-6431
I'll set up the eBay listing with the starting bid for $99.99 per code.

PayPal pls.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
As a non FE-Fan, and also someone who doesn't play competitively but mainly for my own enjoyment, I'm geniunely hyped for Corrin, althought Bayonetta totally destroys the dragon in terms of hype.

First of all, let's not lie: it's a female character. Maybe there's him :4corrin:, but THIS matter to me.

Plus, her pose is better than his pose.

Gender aside...

1) The appearance: the moveset looks very original. You turn your body parts into dragons things, there's spears, wings, a maw, you can turn into a full dragon! I may not like the helmet, but the moveset does look like nothing before.
Also, Corrin may be a swordfighter, but it's not his main weapon. We surely have seen various swords attacks, probably the tilts, but many of the attacks uses the transformations. And still! The sword is a sword, but it's definitely unique, like the Monado. This chainsaw-like appearance and that fiery aura makes it unique.

2) The moveset itself: For the sword, the multi-hit properties will be interesting. The dragon transformation have some unsuspected range (kinda like Monado's beam), giving Corrin some good spacing.
But let's focus on the B-move. I always see that as what is defining the most a character.

Neutral-B: It does look like ZSS paralyzer. But I think that what matter's is the follow-up, that seems powerful. The move is pretty straightforward, but does look versatile, as a projectile AND a melee attack.

Up-B: Well, it's a recovery move. Uses the wings, obviously.

Down-B: The black spot of the B-moveset, as it's another counter. It does look cool though, with lots of range, and sending people upwward.

Side-B: Let's get to what is interesting. This move seems very versatile, to hold yourself in place, attack quickly with the different follow-ups, stop yourself while moving, retreat with the backward follow-up, cling on wall, ect... The "grab" property seems interesting as well. Basically, you do the damages before, instead of throwing the opponent. Having the possibility to cancel it can lead to some reads on roll... Kinda like Ganondorf, what's is interesting is the fact that the opponent stay in place.

Final Smash: Also pretty straightforward, a cinematic Final Smash.

What I retain is the mobility, the versatility, and the ability to neutralize opponents. Also the ability to space well.

3) The best part of it: the litle barefoot footsteps sound when walking, running or landing :awesome:

That's why I would play Corrin. A cool looking female character with dragon blood and some unique properties. Some moves doesn't have to be totally different to be unique (I'm thinking of Pac-Man's fruits, for example, or Greninja's shuriken. They are both chargeable projectiles, something that is not new, yet those projectiles are unique).

Nah

Smash Champion
Do you love Fire Emblem, but are tired of playing as a blue haired animu swordsman every time? Do you like dragons? Have you ever wanted to literally tear Mario a new one with a chainsaw? Well then do we have the character for yoooouuuuu! Right now, for a limited time only, we have a very special deal: Corrin! Now YOU can live out your dragonic waifu/husbando chainsaw massacre fantasies (it's ok, we know that everyone has that fantasy) in Smash 4 for the low low price of $19.99! Plus shipping and handling. Call in the next 30 minutes and you'll get both male and female versions of Corrin, free of charge! We'll even throw in several different colors for you to choose from, just because we care about you that much. Call 1-800-555-CORN toll free right now to get your very own Corrin!

Batteries not included you must 18 or older to call we are not liable for any injuries sustained while using this product your mileage may vary side effects may include saltiness, tired thumbs, and in rare cases, death

In all seriousness though, I want to play Corrin because I am a Fire Emblem fan and I do see some uniqueness in some of Corrin's moveset. Dragon Spear at the very least is intriguing. I also love dragons/manaketes (should be kind of obvious given my username and stuff). But not everyone is gonna like Corrin and that's ok really.

This is a Sentence

Smash Cadet
I'm Going to play Corrin just because he looks like a sword fighter that has some way of approaching either by the dragon fang or dragon lunge, and seems to be the only fire emblem representative to use all their abilities they have.

young grasshopper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4227-3446-5848
Do you love Fire Emblem, but are tired of playing as a blue haired animu swordsman every time? Do you like dragons? Have you ever wanted to literally tear Mario a new one with a chainsaw? Well then do we have the character for yoooouuuuu! Right now, for a limited time only, we have a very special deal: Corrin! Now YOU can live out your dragonic waifu/husbando chainsaw massacre fantasies (it's ok, we know that everyone has that fantasy) in Smash 4 for the low low price of $19.99! Plus shipping and handling. Call in the next 30 minutes and you'll get both male and female versions of Corrin, free of charge! We'll even throw in several different colors for you to choose from, just because we care about you that much. Call 1-800-555-CORN toll free right now to get your very own Corrin!

Batteries not included you must 18 or older to call we are not liable for any injuries sustained while using this product your mileage may vary side effects may include saltiness, tired thumbs, and in rare cases, death

In all seriousness though, I want to play Corrin because I am a Fire Emblem fan and I do see some uniqueness in some of Corrin's moveset. Dragon Spear at the very least is intriguing. I also love dragons/manaketes (should be kind of obvious given my username and stuff). But not everyone is gonna like Corrin and that's ok really.
awesome, just, awesome

micstar615

Smash Ace
Why should we have to sell the character to you? Don't like this character? Don't buy it. Everyone isn't going to be happy with every inclusion, get over it. I for one am super happy with Corrin.

Last edited:

Lady Byakugan

Smash Ace
It's a Water Dragon with a chainsaw. She may be a FE character again, but you can't deny that's pretty badass

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I mean, if the extremely flashy and very diverse-looking moveset, along with her/him literally being a dragon wielding a chainsaw, I'm not sure what will.

I can easily be hyped FOR you, though! :shades:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
The character naturally assumes the form of a dragon in certain situations because it's in their blood. They aren't wearing armour, those are the scales Corrin naturally forms around their body for protection. It's such an amazing character design idea.

NobleClamtasm

Smash Journeyman

Judging from the trailer, Corrin seems to be the most combo-oriented out of all the swordsmen - you can see Fair, Dtilt and Uair being fantastic combo tools

I think that if you like Melee or Brawl Marth, you will love Corrin. Whereas Sm4sh Marth has ended up being a strict zoning character with a gimmick tipper, Corrin seems to have the heavy combo aspects of Melee Marth, along with the insane zoning tools from his Smash attacks. He even as ZSS paralyzer gun, which is pretty ridiculous if you think about it. He's high tier material for sure in my opinion, and that's not even taking into account his forward B mixups

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
I think a lot of people felt this way about Roy/Marth in Melee, as no one really knew of FE here (7 was the first game released in the States, not sure if that was before or after Melee, I think after), Roy wasn't even in a GAME lol.

I think in that way, it's nice that Smash is reliving a moment it had 13-14 years ago, where it brought something american audiences may not know about (granted, FE is much bigger now, and actually in the States as a franchise) but I feel a bit of nostalgia with this trailer, as it reminds me of how I felt with Marth/Roy back then, thinking "Who the hell are they? But they're so cool!"

LozNerd

Smash Apprentice
First off...he's a dragon.

Secondly, his forward smash covers approximately 1/4 of an omega stage.

Finally, he has a chainsaw.

Seems like a beast I'm gonna main.

Rakath

Smash Ace
I think a lot of people felt this way about Roy/Marth in Melee, as no one really knew of FE here (7 was the first game released in the States, not sure if that was before or after Melee, I think after), Roy wasn't even in a GAME lol.

I think in that way, it's nice that Smash is reliving a moment it had 13-14 years ago, where it brought something american audiences may not know about (granted, FE is much bigger now, and actually in the States as a franchise) but I feel a bit of nostalgia with this trailer, as it reminds me of how I felt with Marth/Roy back then, thinking "Who the hell are they? But they're so cool!"
Release order was:
Melee > FE6 (Japan only) > FE7

While the joke is "Marth debut in Smash" the truth is Roy really did debut in Smash.

Saclam

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Boofa_man
3DS FC
1719-4228-9638
What every one says,a dragon with a chainsaw.plus playing :4lucina: for about a longtime.it's about time I switch it up.

Folt

Smash Ace
Corrin is a dragon boy with a chainsaw sword and that owns! Can't wait to try him out.

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
They're a sword-fighter... No comment on how unoriginal that part is, but not even their specials interest me.
I've actually calculated Corrin's use of his/her sword in their moveset.
Jab: Uses dragon hand-mouth
F-tilt: Sword
D-tilt: Sword
U-tilt: Sword
F-Smash: Dragon hand-lance
D-Smash: One hand using sword, one foot dragon-lance
U-Smash: Both hands as dragon-lances
Nair: One hand sword, one hand dragon-lance
F-air: Sword
U-air: Sword
D-air: Dragon hand-lance
Back-air: Dragon wings
Neutral-B: Dragon-PewPew
Side-B: Dragon hand-lance
Up-B: Dragon wings
Down-B: Full dragon transformation (yeah it's a counter, but that's not the point here)
U-Throw: Full dragon transformation
D-Throw: Full dragon transformation
B-Throw: Dragon hand-lance
F-Throw: I don't believe this was shown, but for benefit of the doubt, let's assume he only uses his sword

Total moves: 20
Total moves involving dragon transformation: 14
Total moves using only Omega Yato: 6
% of moves using dragon transformation: 70%
% of moves using only sword: 30%
To say that Corrin is "just another generic FE swordfighter" is probably not very accurate, knowing that he only uses his sword in 30% of his moveset. The fact that he even has a sword, though, is enough to trigger red flags, apparently.
I do agree to an extent that another FE character is not very well deserved, but why should we be complaining about the franchise that the character's from when he's clearly not like other fighters? I'm personally happy that we have yet another character, made on Sakurai's own accord (not a ballot winner), that plays uniquely.
Except the counter lol. that's not very unique minus the cool animations.

Folt

Smash Ace
I've actually calculated Corrin's use of his/her sword in their moveset.
Jab: Uses dragon hand-mouth
F-tilt: Sword
D-tilt: Sword
U-tilt: Sword
F-Smash: Dragon hand-lance
D-Smash: One hand using sword, one foot dragon-lance
U-Smash: Both hands as dragon-lances
Nair: One hand sword, one hand dragon-lance
F-air: Sword
U-air: Sword
D-air: Dragon hand-lance
Back-air: Dragon wings
Neutral-B: Dragon-PewPew
Side-B: Dragon hand-lance
Up-B: Dragon wings
Down-B: Full dragon transformation (yeah it's a counter, but that's not the point here)
U-Throw: Full dragon transformation
D-Throw: Full dragon transformation
B-Throw: Dragon hand-lance
F-Throw: I don't believe this was shown, but for benefit of the doubt, let's assume he only uses his sword

Total moves: 20
Total moves involving dragon transformation: 14
Total moves using only Omega Yato: 6
% of moves using dragon transformation: 70%
% of moves using only sword: 30%
To say that Corrin is "just another generic FE swordfighter" is probably not very accurate, knowing that he only uses his sword in 30% of his moveset. The fact that he even has a sword, though, is enough to trigger red flags, apparently.
I do agree to an extent that another FE character is not very well deserved, but why should we be complaining about the franchise that the character's from when he's clearly not like other fighters? I'm personally happy that we have yet another character, made on Sakurai's own accord (not a ballot winner), that plays uniquely.
Except the counter lol. that's not very unique minus the cool animations.
As far as I know, the reason a lot of FE characters have counter is because FE games tend to be very back-and-forth affairs, having you attack once (or twice) then the enemy attack once (or twice) or vice versa according to who's on the offensive.

Robin avoids this because he's somewhat of a ranged fighter, using spells and such to attack from afar and being rather meh up close if he doesn't have his magic Levin Sword. Awakening players mostly use Robin's Thunder in the earlygame to attack from enemy blindspots on player phase and avoid counterattacks in turn (while punishing the enemy for counterattacking them due to the superior range of spells), and still tend to use magic tomes after, so this was likely worked into Robin's concept.

Pedker

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pedker
3DS FC
1203-9337-2184
As far as I know, the reason a lot of FE characters have counter is because FE games tend to be very back-and-forth affairs, having you attack once (or twice) then the enemy attack once (or twice) or vice versa according to who's on the offensive.

Robin avoids this because he's somewhat of a ranged fighter, using spells and such to attack from afar and being rather meh up close if he doesn't have his magic Levin Sword. Awakening players mostly use Robin's Thunder in the earlygame to attack from enemy blindspots on player phase and avoid counterattacks in turn (while punishing the enemy for counterattacking them due to the superior range of spells), and still tend to use magic tomes after, so this was likely worked into Robin's concept.
Yeah, Awakening is one of my top games, so I'm familiar with the concept. I'm pretty sure the standard counter exists because of the Counter Skill that can be acquired (physical damage taken is reflected back to foe). I love the counters but I'm not very enchanted by the fact that so many characters have them. For example, I'm pretty sure that it's impossible for Lucina to even learn the Counter Skill.
I'm glad that Robin doesn't have one, because he/she can have like EVERY skill, so why repeat the counter?

Folt

Smash Ace
Yeah, Awakening is one of my top games, so I'm familiar with the concept. I'm pretty sure the standard counter exists because of the Counter Skill that can be acquired (physical damage taken is reflected back to foe). I love the counters but I'm not very enchanted by the fact that so many characters have them. For example, I'm pretty sure that it's impossible for Lucina to even learn the Counter Skill.
I'm glad that Robin doesn't have one, because he/she can have like EVERY skill, so why repeat the counter?
I'm pretty sure the Counter skill didn't even exist until Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance, so it's very likely that the actual Counters on the Fire Emblem characters are based on the way Fire Emblem does combat.

That said, I think the Counter skill in Fire Emblem might have been inspired by Smash!Marth/Roy's Counter.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
According to Sakurai himself:

Interviewer: In Smash, a lot of Fire Emblem characters have “counter” moves. Is there a reason behind that?

Sakurai: That comes directly from the Fire Emblem games. In Fire Emblem, first you have your attack phase, and then the enemy attacks. That pattern repeats itself, so to express the nature of those battles, I gave them counter moves…although Robin doesn’t have one (laughs). Robin doesn’t seem like a counterattack-type character to me.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/12/13/sakurai-fe25/

Vyseskies

Smash Cadet
honestly i would consider Corrin more like a spear user than swordman. It will be very different from anything so far, except counter.

Folt

Smash Ace
and in fact, some magic books like thoron doesnt even counter back iirc. (at least long ranged ones, pretty sure)

sorry for de double post
Thoron does counter back, but it's versatile range lets you dodge enemy counters making battles more of a one-sided affair on your side (and indeed, Robin's Thunder tome and the range he gets from his spells is one of the key points to using his character).

You're thinking of tomes like Bolting and Mire which strikes at ranges that normal tomes can't even compare to. But it's true that you don't counterattack with those (or at least Mire).

Top Bottom