• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Truth to be told - Megaman Pros and Cons

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
A thread to discuss Megaman Pros and highlight them and Cons and work on them, everyone share which do you think are Megaman Pros and Cons
IMO they are:
Pros
-Heavy Weight: Makes it hard to kill him until very high percentages
-Decent Running Speed: Not so fast, yet not so slow
-Good Combo Game: Easy to pull off combos
-Good Grab Game: Easy to connect with a MB and strong grabs to use as kill moves
-Great Approaches: Double Jump Dair, MB to something, Using an upair at the back of your opponent, leafshield and ftilt to nair
-Kill confirms: Diagonal MB to Uptilt
-Versability: So many playstyles with the same character and so many different moves (even the customs are really different)
Cons
-Heavy Weight: Combo'ed for days
-Laggy Smashes: Some which could be in the laggiest smashes in the whole game
-Not many kill options: until late percentages or OoS

So which would be your MM pros and cons?

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Agree with most of those .

Would say combo game is mediocre not great.

Would say approaches are decent at best/situational

Has great versatility.

Cons are good. I think his biggest con is that his kills are usually off of MB set ups, gimps, or reads.

Reecepect

Smash Rookie
I think his biggest con is his up close game, as he lacks a traditional jab which means your only option is to grab, or maybe SH Nair and even that is situational at best which means if shiek or falcon get up in your face you're probably getting hurt.

Other than that his options tend to be pretty great, but not the best :(

uncaDon

Smash Cadet
one of megaman's major problems as a character is basically that he's gimmicky - he's janky, he lacks things every other character takes for granted, like a jab or a reasonably straightforward, grounded horizontal kill move or "get off me now" move, so all his stuff generally comes from conditioning or metal blade setups

however in return he has a fantastic albeit initially awkward neutral, kill and gimp power, coupled with great survivability with proper DI

and of course, he has amazing tools to condition his opponent in the form of metal blade, c-bomb and leaf shield

Last edited:

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Pros:

- Has a moveset that is almost entirely disjointed, with some of the best disjointed attacks in the game
- Uair and pellets in particular are amazing
- Moveset is highly disruptive and good for forcing poor spacing and other bad situations
- Has a very strong neutral game, maybe one of the best
- Can perform any normal midair action after UpB
- Can generate what is arguably one of the better items in the game
- Good mobility and fall speed
- Very good offstage game
- One of the fastest skid stops in the game
- Very good range on his grab
- Has kill setups and hit confirms with Metal Blade and Shadow Blade
- Utilt comes out quickly and kills early
- Has a moderately useful kill throw
- OOS options (usmash, Tornado Hold, YOLO Rush Coil) are solid
- Can walljump (twice!)

Cons:

- Weight means he gets combo'd for days.
- Lacks a good "get off me" attack, and can have trouble escaping juggles
- Low damage output when he wins neutral--closest thing he has to a decent burst combo is uair->uair
- Mediocre combo setups makes it hard for him to convert advantage into damage and early KOs
- Lacks safe kill options until high %s
- All his aerials have laggy landings and are punishable on whiff
- Mediocre roll
- High commitment moves in general; even lemons, one of his safer moves, prevent him from being able to shield, dodge, dash, or double jump for a few precious frames
- Smashes are generally mediocre and read-dependent
- His middling walk and run speed make him campable by fast characters with projectiles, particularly Sheik

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pros:

- Has a Moveset that is almost entirely disjointed, with some of the best disjointed attacks in the game
- Moveset is highly disruptive and good for forcing poor spacing and other bad situations
- Has kill setups and kill confirms with Metal Blade and Shadow Blade
- Can walljump (twice!)

Cons:

- Low damage output when he wins neutral--closest thing he has to a decent burst combo is uair->uair
- Mediocre combo setups makes it hard for him to convert advantage into damage and early KOs
- Mediocre roll
- High commitment moves in general; even lemons, one of his safer moves, prevent him from being able to shield, dodge, dash, or double jump for a few precious frames
- His middling walk and run speed make him campable by fast characters with projectiles, particularly Sheik
Definitely this.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
Pro: Great neutral game.
Con: Relies on conditioning and reads to get solid KOs.

PlamZ

Smash Cadet
One thing that is often forgotten is that he's very, VERY frustrating to play against. That really helps you if your opponent struggles with the mental game.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
One thing that is often forgotten is that he's very, VERY frustrating to play against. That really helps you if your opponent struggles with the mental game.
It is even frustrating for us xD, seriously there have been times Im too lazy to play with Megaman because he needs so much focus

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Pros:

- Has a moveset that is almost entirely disjointed, with some of the best disjointed attacks in the game
- Has kill setups and hit confirms with Metal Blade and Shadow Blade
- Can walljump (twice!)

Cons:

- Mediocre roll
I agree with all of these. In terms of patch updates, I love that his Leaf Shield gets attention, but he needs more. Here's what I would change:
Buff lemons up to 3%
Give him better combo set ups (make it easier)
Get rid of aerial landing lag
Make his roll better
Allow lemons to shield, dodge, dash, and double jump for a few frames.
With the exception of D-Smash, remove lag on Smash attacks.
Make his run speed faster
Mega Man is a truly great character, but it's sad that he's heavily underused and the buffs he's gotten are good, but not enough. Let's hope the balance team sees that Mega Man needs to be buffed.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
It is even frustrating for us xD, seriously there have been times Im too lazy to play with Megaman because he needs so much focus
This. So much. Sometimes it even feels like it's morw frustrating for us lol

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
This. So much. Sometimes it even feels like it's morw frustrating for us lol
Maybe I'm just extremely committed to who I play, but I don't feel the same way. Yes, playing as Rock can be frustrating, especially if you're not used to how he works, but he can be incredibly satisfying to use and win with. When you get that kill, whether it's from a D-Smash, U-Tilt, S-Smash, whatever, and you hear that badass victory theme playing:
And you hear the announcer yelling: "And the winner is... MEGA MAN!!!"
The feeling is intense, and I love it.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Mega man's music is OP!

As for those buffs @ Mega-Spider Mega-Spider I think getting all of those would also make mega OP!

He just needs the landing lag on F air reduced, and his down B should be the ability to switch his Side, Up and Neutral B specials XD

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Mega man's music is OP!

As for those buffs @ Mega-Spider Mega-Spider I think getting all of those would also make mega OP!

He just needs the landing lag on F air reduced, and his down B should be the ability to switch his Side, Up and Neutral B specials XD
I didn't think of that. If Leaf Shield could do that, then Mega Man would be even more awesome, which is something I hope happens in a future update. At least Mega isn't a character that gets complaints about being overpowered.

Lufos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Lufosf
3DS FC
0087-2359-1559
Maybe I'm just extremely committed to who I play, but I don't feel the same way. Yes, playing as Rock can be frustrating, especially if you're not used to how he works, but he can be incredibly satisfying to use and win with. When you get that kill, whether it's from a D-Smash, U-Tilt, S-Smash, whatever, and you hear that badass victory theme playing:
And you hear the announcer yelling: "And the winner is... MEGA MAN!!!"
The feeling is intense, and I love it.
I didn't mean I don't enjoy him, and I've spent a lot of time playing him so its not that. I meant that you have to focus a lot to play him optimally and it can really hurt my brain sometimes ;) i agree 100% that he's extremely satisfying to play and win with!!

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
I didn't mean I don't enjoy him, and I've spent a lot of time playing him so its not that. I meant that you have to focus a lot to play him optimally and it can really hurt my brain sometimes ;) i agree 100% that he's extremely satisfying to play and win with!!
I always found focusing on a character so much to be a Smash Bros thing rather than a Mega Man thing.
I would make a jab about what makes my head hurt towards the Smash Bros community, but that's uncalled for and doesn't fit with this current place.

Sneak Sneaks

Smash Ace
I always found focusing on a character so much to be a Smash Bros thing rather than a Mega Man thing.
I would make a jab about what makes my head hurt towards the Smash Bros community, but that's uncalled for and doesn't fit with this current place.
And we also have Mario.. who is like a break from focusing and putting too much effort to win

Meistermayo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2852-7671-9198
I would say mega just needs less lag and more kill setups/confirms.

If we cant get more setups or confirms, then if metal blade could just be made harder to pluck out of the air from dash attacks thatd be great

Megamang

Smash Lord
Mega is fine in my opinion. Well, the matchups he loses are due to enemy overtuning, is all im saying. Like, hes a zoning blaster robot, why can needles totally outcamp him is the fault of ridiculous needles...

Maybe some fsmash endlag issues.

Buffing lemons would infuriate people.

Top Bottom