• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

True Spikes?

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
I was wondering if true spikes in this game (a la Marth/Falco dair in melee.) Does anybody who has the game know if they have returned? Apologies if this has been covered already, I haven't seen a topic for it.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
IIRC spikes in Melee only existed because they hit characters at a downward angle that was outside the range of what the game considered to be a meteor smash and thus could not be meteor cancelled. Were Falco/Marth's dairs in Brawl still spikes or were they meteors?

Last edited:

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I don't think there were any actual spikes in Brawl because they widened the angle of what counts as a meteor. Only semi spikes like the back of Ganon's up air.

On the other hand, I have yet to see anyone meteor cancel in this game. Not even the level 9 CPUs seem to do it. Maybe meteor canceling is gone?

Raijinken

Smash Master
I can't recall having seen meteor canceling, and the only time I survived a spike at high damage was because my friend punched me back onto Rush whom I'd just used to recover. So it could be that meteor cancelling is gone, thus making all meteors, by "can't be meteor cancelled" definition, spikes.

HRR2b23

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4498-3108
IIRC spikes in Melee only existed because they hit characters at a downward angle that was outside the range of what the game considered to be a meteor smash and thus could not be meteor cancelled. Were Falco/Marth's dairs in Brawl still spikes or were they meteors?
In Brawl there were no spikes at all, hence this topic being created, though I don't know if it's because they changed what counts as a meteor or just changed the angle of the attacks. I haven't seen meteor cancelling either, so that could be an interesting change. I guess we'll just have to wait and see a little more.

Ganreizu

Smash Ace
VGBC boys will say they haven't meteor cancelled once since release. Donkey kong looks insanely strong because of his. Aerial down-B, side-B, f-air, AND d-air all spike.

Top Bottom