• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Spiking

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I have the hardest time spiking. They always seem to do something before I can spike them, and its like impossible for me to spike them while they get up from the edge. Infact, edgeguarding in general is hard for me.

Also, a bit off topic but is it me or is it impossible to chaingrab rob?

iEatPikmin

Smash Journeyman
The best thing to do for practicing your spiking is go to training mode and set the CPU to jumping. I think the spot on Falco's Dair that spikes is his kness or his feet. (can't remember which) And to practice chainthorwing ROB go to training mode and set the CPU to run. Hope that helps :)

Ratherion

Smash Journeyman
Falco's thighs are the sweetspot.

D: I've always had a hard time spiking in Brawl, to tell the truth, the increased floatiness, the broken air dodge, it adds up.

Plus Falco can't start his spike from miles high and fall faster than a brick any more =/

GriN

Smash Rookie
The part that hits the hardest is around his thighs, for spiking.

cg on rob is hard for me personally, just because his attacks can knock you away pretty easily.

manhunter098

Smash Lord
Im pretty sure that the startup of Falco's d-air is what spikes, and the spiking effect lasts for about the first half of the move, after that it doesnt spike. But I think your problem is placement and not timing if Im correct. You cant seem to get the ones just below the edge becuse you might kill yourself by fast falling when you try to spike them.

I would say you can try two methods of approach to the spike when they are going to recover from below the edge. The first is to try a short hop and tilt the control stick a little when you do the d-air so you dont fast fall. You can also try running off and doing a rising d-air so that you spike them as you come up from your double jump, then you jsut recover from there, but I dont recommend trying that against characters that have a lot of recover options, since they could counterattack and then your screwed.

Blad01

Smash Lord
1. Against who do you play ? By example, Ike is dangerous to Edgeguard (with his Up B), so don't hope to spike him...

2. Dair has not sweeptspot oO Everybody says that... I think that it is just a question of timing : At the beginning, it spikes, at the end, it doesn't.

3. No, ROB can't be chaingrabbed, he counters that too easily.

Kirin

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I have a hard time spiking too. I'm getting the timing down more and more as I play though, it seems like you have to cg them to the edge, then wait a second on the ground, then sh -> spike.

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
I've seen Falcos spike as the the opponent jumped up from the edge (not ledgehop, but get on a edge and press up and you'll see what I mean). I've missed a lot of spike oppurnities because my opponents always do this.

Daredevil

Smash Rookie
For me personally,I can only spike at high heights.I just can't adapt to spiking near the ground.

Top Bottom