• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with side-b height/control

infomon

Smash Scientist
Hi all,

I have a lot of trouble controlling the IC's side-b in brawl. Achieving maximum height takes a LOT of mashing B; I just can't do it consistently. I had no idea they could even reach heights such as this:
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v6476055Ws3SEs4g

which apparently was done using a controller with turbo-button. I've tried remapping other buttons on the classic controller to act as Special, but that didn't help :(

Is it common to use side-b recovery to get better height than up-b? Is there any super special awesome secret way to get better at this? Thx!

Miller

Smash Lord
Its pretty much physically impossible to get maximum height.

Side note : Are you going to Twilight of smash 5 in ottawa?

infomon

Smash Scientist
Its pretty much physically impossible to get maximum height.
wtf...... that's reeeeealllly dumb...... k....

I've been playing around with the side-b in training mode. Unless Training Mode has some really weird input-buffering issues when running in slow-motion (which is quite possible :/), I don't think the side-b mechanic is simply "how many times you mash the B button", as I'd thought. I think instead, it's based on timing.... reeeeally delicate timing. If you try it in slow-mo, you can see pressing the b button pushes them up a wee bit.. but sometimes more than others. It might be based on where they're positioned in the swing, or maybe based on their vertical momentum; so based on how long it's been since you last hit B.

Does anyone have any detailed info on how the side-b works? Maybe someone's already figured this out. I don't know how Action Replay for Wii works but it might be useful to decipher this....

Side note : Are you going to Twilight of smash 5 in ottawa?
Heh, yeah I'm thinking about it. I'm still pretty n00b but it'd be fun none-the-less. You coming down for it?

Miller

Smash Lord
Action Replay Wii is not out yet, as far as I'm concerned.

And yes, I should be comming down to ToS5, if I see you there I can give you some pointers

IDK

Smash Lord
wtf...... that's reeeeealllly dumb...... k....

I've been playing around with the side-b in training mode. Unless Training Mode has some really weird input-buffering issues when running in slow-motion (which is quite possible :/), I don't think the side-b mechanic is simply "how many times you mash the B button", as I'd thought. I think instead, it's based on timing.... reeeeally delicate timing. If you try it in slow-mo, you can see pressing the b button pushes them up a wee bit.. but sometimes more than others. It might be based on where they're positioned in the swing, or maybe based on their vertical momentum; so based on how long it's been since you last hit B.
dude don't flip out and call people dumb like that when you don't even know. like YOU said, you're a noob. I was playing around with the side b, and pressed the b button inhumanly fast and went up. I did it with the middle of my thumb.

infomon

Smash Scientist
dude don't flip out and call people dumb like that when you don't even know. like YOU said, you're a noob. I was playing around with the side b, and pressed the b button inhumanly fast and went up. I did it with the middle of my thumb.
Eeks! I think you misunderstood my comment. I was not calling anyone dumb, certainly not Millar! I think it's dumb that Squall requires inhuman button-mashing ("physically impossible" perhaps) to achieve maximal height. Like, that puts a strange kind of limit on the IC's ability; it makes recovery unpredictable for the player.

Unless, there's some timing dynamic we haven't figured out yet, that gives us much better control over Squall (with a lot of crazy timing practice, no doubt). I hope this is the case.

Miller

Smash Lord
He wasn't referring anyone to being "dumb". He was referring to the fact that it takes wayy to much button mashing to achieve max height

IDK

Smash Lord
if this thread still matters, just saying sorry about that misunderstanding.

Top Bottom