• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Jiggs? (avoidy characters)

GHST

Smash Rookie
I've been a long time fan of smash. The style i'm used to playing is fast and aggressive with little to no camping. I play Falco and would usually use SHL to approach. I just started playing with new people and a certain jigglypuff 4/3 stocks me every time. This is how it goes down.

-Jiggs waits in the space to bair
-Falco SHLs and misses half of them
-Falco under pressure, sits in shield
-Jiggs bairs Falco off stage
-Falco with his ****ty recover dies
-Rinse, Repeat

Its not only Jiggs I have a problem with, its most floaty, avoidance play. Im mainly looking for tips on approaching and catching the enemy when they're most vulnerable.

ECHOnce

Smash Lord
Most smashers love playing aggressively, myself included. But against any decent Jiggs, chances are that's not what's going to work. Slow down and think more, don't approach if she's not in hitstun or endlag of a move (no matter how tempting, if it's not safe, there's a chance you'll just get hit by B-air lol), dashdance to bait a bad approach (if she misses a B-air and doesn't retreat enough, or if she is the one to run out of patience First instead and approaches unsafely/more aggressively), and punish it.

Last edited:

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
Camp. Camping is better with Fox though, so think of picking up fox as a secondary

But for Falco, wait until jiggs does something dumb

Sashimi

Smash Ace
Every character is an "avoidy" character by your definition. There's a lot more to aggression than just running at your opponent with an attack.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Every character is an "avoidy" character by your definition. There's a lot more to aggression than just running at your opponent with an attack.
Look on the bright side; at least it's not like in Smash 4 where it's all about what Egoraptor describes as "waiting".

X WaNtEd X

Smash Lord
Also start working on your OOS game if you're getting pressured by puff too much. Puff has some frame traps, but once you recognize what is and isn't safe on your shield, you can start punishing her for being too aggressive. Learn to shine, dair, bair, nair, usmash, wavedash and laser oos effectively. That's all you'll really need.

Also if you're above her on a platform and she's threatening the uair rest, bair, or just straight up shield poke rest, just light shield and asdi to the side you're closest to. As soon as she hits your shield, you should fall off the platform and be able to aerial her with either bair, nair or dair if she doesn't space well. If she tries to tom tomahawk you, either shield drop (if capable) or execute an appropriate oos option depending on her positioning.

Top Bottom