• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with Grabs

Shadow7474

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, just started to pick up Captain Falcon at a competitive level and I really like his play style. My problem is with his running grabs. I also play Mario and Charizard and when I sprint grab with them then don't move to far, but with Falcon it seems he slides really far when he sprint grabs. So is there any tactics to make grabs easier with him or do I just need to adjust to it?

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
I recommend that you practice grabbing a standing opponent in training mode. Start with a large character such as Bowser or Donkey Kong and practice until you can grab them 5-10 times without messing up. When you meet your goal move on to a medium character such as Mario or Luigi, then when you meet your goal move to someone small such as Toon Link or Meta Knight.

It's crucial to mention that Captain Falcon's Running Grab covers a large distance, 1/3 of Final Destination I believe. So your timing may be too early or too late.

On a parting note please, please take questions like this to http://smashboards.com/threads/ask-a-falcon-question-get-a-falcon-answer-q-a-faq-thread.381881/. I hope you get that grab down soon :drflip:

Last edited:

-Fatality-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FatalityFalcon
3DS FC
3695-0049-3723
You just need to adjust to it, the fact that Falcon can dash grab someone from as far as he can is absolutely incredible, it's 100% worth putting in the time to master it.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
Side note: you'll likely run into the issue soon, where characters are too close to dash grab, but to far to standing grab. Dash dance back first, then go into your dash grab in these situations.

-Se7en-

Banned via Warnings
Getting the grab is crucial, it opens up some combo opportunities.

Also make sure you know your grab follow-ups. Captain Falcon has so many setups off of DThrow it's fun.

HeavyMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bloodriot779
I had the same problem when I tried to go from Sonic to Falcon. The lunge he does can really throw you off. As mentioned, practice is your best bet, and just have a low level CPU walk around so you can practice on a moving target.

Galactic Knight

Smash Rookie
NNID
LightMetaKnight
Captain Falcon probably has the best dash grab in the game, a good bit of prediction and his grab becomes invaluable and makes up for his atrocious standing grab range.

Ree301

Smash Apprentice
Oh there's that quirk where if you dash grab>pummel on a ledge you'll both just fall off. If you don't know it's coming, you'll n-air off the ledge and probably die if you can't wall jump back up. This opens up a few other possibilities though, as you can spike or footstool characters who fall faster than you.

Top Bottom