• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble with bair from ledge(edge-guarding)

Tehbankzor

Smash Rookie
I'm relatively new to smash, as I have only been playing since November. I actually have posted in here, and received a lot of help getting started. Thank you. I am having trouble using my bair from the ledge to edge-guard. I have no problem doing any of the rising air attacks onto the stage, but I can't seem to bair and then grab ledge again. Any help getting this technique down would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Zylo

Smash Journeyman
What I like to do to make sure I get a clean ledgehop is drop down with the control stick and then jump with x or y. That way you dont have to worry about timing it so that you drop too low before you flick the control stick. Also easier to DI this way after using a bair imo

Equal

Smash Apprentice
NNID
iiEqual
3DS FC
2036-7236-5480
If you want to do that the easiest way is to spam the inputs until they happen, you want your bair to come out on the earliest frame, so mash until you bair, then mash X/Y until you jump, then mash Up + B until you recover. That's if you're talking about the ledgefall technique which is tough honestly. An easier way to do it would be ledgefall > jump > bair > recover

Thor

Smash Champion
Spamming inputs is generally a bad idea, unless they're SDI inputs. That said, mashing jump to make it come out as early as possible is probably not an issue if you've actually connected with the bair (at that point they should be dead). But you probably should be getting the timing from ledge-drop to bair consistently without mashing (not too hard to do in my opinion, although I see why getting the jump out quick is important). Also agree that ledgefall -> jump -> bair -> recovery can work well.

You've almost certainly already got this, but make sure you're not fastfalling your drop, but simply snapping away - then it's just snap-away + A [split second after snap away] + mash jump + Falcon Dive.

Good luck.

Tehbankzor

Smash Rookie
I can do the rising air attacks onto the stage no problem. I just can't seem to tap back/jump/bair and then grab the ledge again.

Thor

Smash Champion
Oh I should've mentioned earlier that you should probably post stuff like this in a general help thread - otherwise this ends up getting locked and taking up space.

That said, given what you described, I'm pretty sure CF should look almost like he's floating up as he does his bair. I'd recommmend training mode on probably BF or FD (tap back, hit y and slide finger to A while holding back, immediately release and hold back to ledge to try to grab it) and going from there [so if you have been, don't try to snap the analog, jump, and then snap it again and hit A - do it all at once so that you can have fewer inputs). Takes practice but if others can do it, eventually you can.

Also, hope you're practicing this stuff after you've already gotten good at wavedashing - that's probably far more important for most any character than being able to bair without using up+b (although I understand that's important).

Zhea

Smash Ace
Ledge Drop Bairs:
1. Tap control stick away from the edge
2. Press A
3. DJ straight up
4. Reverse Up-B to the edge

That's how I do it anyway. For u-airs I use c-stick instead of A.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I don't think he's talking about those

It's fairly easy to do a ledgehop Bair regrab if you press Y + A at the same time ... sequencing is as follows

1. Press back to let go of the ledge (hold back)
2. Immediately press Y + A to do a doublejump Bair
3. As soon as you execute your A button press (don't wait for your Bair to finish) hold in to DI back toward the ledge

Even though I listed these as 3 separate steps, it was only for the sake of explaining the sequence ... the motion itself is very fluid and should be one motion, otherwise you're not doing it fast enough to regrab

This being said I don't think ledgehop Bair regrab is that important and there are only a couple situations where I would actually recommend it

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I'm gonna give u the best tip you can possibly get, when it comes to difficult techniques. EVERYTHING in this game is FACKING HARD until you learn it. Just like when we first learned how to ride a bike or how to swim. Things will feel impossible. You will be looking at the pros like "omg there's no way I'll ever be able to pull that off".

Fear not however! There is a really simple trick to learning all the most advanced techniques, you can think of, and even how to come up with new ones.
PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE

Never give up, no matter how much you fail, or how hard it will seem. I remember, when I first tried to shffl. It felt like I was wasting my time, and that I would never be able to consistently shorthop with anyone in the game.

But I got hungry and I got greedy and I practiced HARD. (Being depressed and unemployed for like 8 months helps lol.)

It's been 18 months after I starting fiddling with advanced tech, and now I'm confident, that I'm among the most technical players in the world.

If you keep practicing, you're going in the right direction. And if you keep going in the right direction, you will eventually end up where you want. This goes for everything.

Good luck! Upload some videos in a year or two, and show off your ridiculous, south american-like tech skill :D

Tehbankzor

Smash Rookie
Thanks everyone for the replies. Wenbo I am trying what you suggested, but I just seem to drop down then wall jump into a knee. I have a local falcon player I am going to talk to. Hopefully he can shed some light on the technique. Nicco what you said is so true! I started playing the beginning of November, and the idea of shffling a knee was daunting, but here I am doing them. I don't get the american-like tech skills reference, as I'm from Wisconsin.

Devilsbabe

Smash Rookie
I just tried this out yesterday after seeing the falcon trials thread. At first I couldn't bair, I would always knee toward the stage. Then I tried pressing Y then A in one smooth motion and I got it much more consistently. Wenbo suggested pressing Y and A at the same time and that didn't seem to work for you. I'm having success gliding my thumb from Y to A in one motion, so maybe try that.

But you posted this two months ago so you've probably figured it out by now :b:

Top Bottom