• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble With Approaching

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
Hello, I'm a new :toonlink:main from Michigan.

Like the title says, I'm having trouble approaching with TL. Maybe run up and shield or SH Nair/Zair? Help please!

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
You're Toon Link, so most of the time you don't approach, but use your projectiles instead.

SH airdodge -> Zair is easily read, but not *too* punishable if you space it correctly.

TL is pretty slow compared to other characters; his fastest attacks come out on frame 6; these are Bair, Nair, and Jab. I forgot how many frames there are before you jump, but there are quite a few compared to other characters. So you CAMP the heck out of them instead.

So TL, most of the time you'll find yourself constantly moving around; jumping, releasing arrows, pulling bombs, throwing boomerangs.
Mostly you'll use an airdodge -> Zair to cover your landing so that you won't get punished.

If you're going for the kill, you're going to have to use your sword. Bair can start some things, since they're diagonally up and away from you. You can either throw some boomerangs/bombs in their general direction to rack up more damage, or try to land another aerial.
Nair, Uair, Fair (fair is really strong)...

And for ground options.... obviously, TL doesn't have very good grab game. Jab for spacing (right, guys? check me on this...) and Utilt is our most reliable killer. USmash is for killing too, at a slightly lower percent, FSmash is generally not too good.

So you're new, right? Read some of the stickied guides. And next time, post things like this in the Q&A thread.

Oh yeah. Keep Dairs to a minimum.

Last edited:

Jayhawker

Smash Apprentice
You're Toon Link, so most of the time you don't approach, but use your projectiles instead.

SH airdodge -> Zair is easily read, but not *too* punishable if you space it correctly.

TL is pretty slow compared to other characters; his fastest attacks come out on frame 6; these are Bair, Nair, and Jab. I forgot how many frames there are before you jump, but there are quite a few compared to other characters. So you CAMP the heck out of them instead.

So TL, most of the time you'll find yourself constantly moving around; jumping, releasing arrows, pulling bombs, throwing boomerangs.
Mostly you'll use an airdodge -> Zair to cover your landing so that you won't get punished.

If you're going for the kill, you're going to have to use your sword. Bair can start some things, since they're diagonally up and away from you. You can either throw some boomerangs/bombs in their general direction to rack up more damage, or try to land another aerial.
Nair, Uair, Fair (fair is really strong)...

And for ground options.... obviously, TL doesn't have very good grab game. Jab for spacing (right, guys? check me on this...) and Utilt is our most reliable killer. USmash is for killing too, at a slightly lower percent, FSmash is generally not too good.

So you're new, right? Read some of the stickied guides. And next time, post things like this in the Q&A thread.

Oh yeah. Keep Dairs to a minimum.
Thank you!

Top Bottom