• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble vs Marth..big time

BOLT08

Smash Lord
Okay so my friend mains marth and is pretty much insane. And im just now starting to get really into ssbm and advanced techniques so bare with me. The thing i seem to have the most trouble with is getting back to the stage. It seems everytime i get there he throws me into a combo or racks up a ton of damage.

I was wondering if there was any useful tips as how to avoid damage when i get there or anything like that.

Also whenever im in the air i cant seem to find a way to hit him as im coming back down, and lately ive just been trying to get to the ground and fight it out there. Is there any move i can use or antyhing i can do to try and get him out of the way as im coming back down?

JBM falcon08

Smash Master
its friendly i promise lol, he's got a great understanding of sheik and what combos to do to marth and such but he hasn't taken advantage of the advanced techs completely, he's getting there though, it'll just take sometime but i'm sure he'll get there.

Soma

Smash Journeyman
It sounds like the biggest part of your problem is your trying to challenge Marth in the air from above. Which is you didn't know is a deathwish. Marth's strength is above and on his sides. Basically when you are trying to come from above, don't try to land in his range, your first job is to get back on your feet. And how do you do this, mindgames and mix up your actions. The same solution applies to getting back on the ledge. DI is very important to get back from a edgeguarding Marth. If you can get back to the stage without your 3rd jump you stand a good chance of staying on. The lag form the 3rd jump is so huge its pretty easy to knock you back off, so once again mix it up, try from above or sweetspot the ledge.

Kenpachi

Smash Apprentice
DI is your friend in trying to get away from a marth below you, though it may take a while and you may take a lot of damage.

Keeping to the ground is important. if you can see through a marth's midgames, there are two counters to all of his approaches. shield grabbing can take care of air and ground approaches and if you can see through a grab, a wavedash +SHFFL or wavedash + grab will work. Messing up the decision to do either would result in you getting comboed, so be careful and work the mindgames yourself.

I think that sweetspotting the edge will work for most recovery purposes. Though marth has a good wavedash, so beware the edge steal. Once you're on the edge, if you can pull a few shino stalls, you can force him to back off. Then, use an edge waveland to allow a quick shield (preventing the inevitable f-smash). If he catch's on though, he'll start grabbing, so its all up to mindgames then to determine whether to use wavelanding or an edge attack.

Thats my opinion on the whole matchup. I can't do the whole wavelanding bit yet, but when i play on platform levels, it all works out nicely anyways. if you get stage choice, don't pick FD ><...

Hope this helps!

~Kenpachi

Banks

Smash Hero
don't drop down on marth trying to hit him, you can't get through the sword. get on the ground and needle and try to grab, then cg, usmash, or ftilt depending on DI after the dthrow and go from there.

~Tac~

One day at a time.
NNID
Kamidachi
Switch FC
SW-6745-2861-2990
Yeah seriously in Sheik vs Marth needles are your best friend
Those demon needles. Curse them.

It all depends on the players. Lots of Shiek vs Marth or Marth vs Shiek problems. Lots. Just a difference in range, tippers and speed...and Shiek's evil CG.

Banks

Smash Hero
sheik cant chaingrab for long if your opponent has good DI, however you can **** in many different ways from grabs anyways, so it should be your primary goal. Also, make sure you keep your spacing, because if he grabs you he can also get ****loads of damage. just don't go down on a stationary marth from above unless you like getting utilited.

Top Bottom