• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble KOing with Villager

Duh1Chicken

Smash Rookie
For some reason, I have a hard time finishing people off with villager. It seems like most of the time my opponent will survive well past 120% my average kill being guessed at 150 and above. I can deal the damage, but KOs escape me. Any pointers, strategies or anything that will help me kill earlier. My killager just isn't killing :( thanks in advance.

cwjakesteel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cwjakesteel
I've never had trouble KOing with Villager. His side airs have great knock back. His vertical airs also have great knockback with 3 turnips.

Try planting a tree and surprizing your enemy with an axe, even in the air.

By far the easiest way to KO at low percents is to take the battle to the stage's edge, plant a tree right by the edge and chopping it before they have a chance to grab it. Alternatively you can plant the tree a little bit away from the edge and then guard with the bowling ball.

When there is enough room between the tree and the edge for the opponent to try jump over it after ledge-grabbing, you can easily trick them into getting off at the wrong time and treefall them.

Alternatively if your enemy wants to land on the stage, you can treerise them instead, and even use the 1 drop of water technique.

Try getting your enemy to off stage by chaining Fairs and Bairs.

And lastly if you enemy is a roll lover user down smash to plant them in the ground and then follow up with fire cracker or bowling ball.

Mericus

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mericus
I don't know much about how2 play Villager just yet, but a vid I saw awhile back had a player using the Pressure , a.k.a.forcing your opponent to approach / react the way you want them to to capitalize off their mistakes, to get the Stocks.

Haven't seen much else good Villager play so far and idk how it'll work vs other characters, but it may help you out a bit ^^

EDIT : oh ! I just realized these players both post here ( sorry to them >< )
check out some of their stuff @ http://smashboards.com/threads/villager-video-thread.367822/
and good luck <3

Last edited:

MaggieMagister

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4657-0072-4618
Fish for early kills with the tree sprouting. On a clean hit it kills at 90%ish, and it is meaty as hell. Even on a late hit it will kill at 120%. Give it a little water, enough that 1~3 more units of water will make it sprout, and use it as a mine. Once it IS up, leave it alone, don't try to chop it down. Axe is like 6 frames and kills at 110% ish. If you could get a jab, you could probably get the Axe.

No shame in fishing. Dsmash is quick and fairly hard to punish, it's not too bad to throw it out consecutively sometimes, so long as you're not being an idiot and doing it 3 or 4 times in the same spot. Once you do land it, remember that unless you're very close to the edge, Upsmash is superior to Fsmash due to bury state cutting knockback in half or so.

If you are good at pushing your pressure, you can start tossing in throws sometimes. You better be sure you have it, of course. Back throw flings at an angle very similar to Ness's(with crappier knockback though) and still kills at 110%~120% near the edge and 140%ish midscreen.

When opponents are high on percent, many get antsy and more inclined to do bad rolls, even if they usually do little to none at low percents. Sometimes it's wise to play vs an opponent who is at 140% as if they were still at 0%, fishing for a roll towards you with Lloid and dropping bowling ball in front of you in anticipation. People are very unlikely to approach with something unsafe at those percents, and Fsmash is already fairly good on recovery despite the slow startup, so it doesn't hurt to do sometimes, even if they do not take the bait. Nonetheless, at high percents most will fear Lloid and avoid him altogether rather than blocking him. I always feel like since he explodes he has an intimidating presence, and because Lloid can explode for extreme knockback if detonated under certain circumstances, they will dodge, not block. They don't want to risk it if they know what they're doing. You need to punish those dodges.

Typhy

Smash Rookie
Gimp with Nair/fair/bair Chase off stage brah. Apply a lot of pressure with Lloid and Slingshots and they start to roll. Read how they react to each situation and punish accordingly. Usually fish for early kills with tree sprout and axe. Always try to fight them off stage with some exceptions (Zelda, Sheik, Villager). You can but it's a lot more difficult. Fish for dsmash -> usmash. But i usually get kills by gimps.

G-Guy

Smash Ace
NNID
G-Guy1990
always have a Lloid out, it'll drive your enemy nuts!
If they have a reflector, catch the Lloid and unleash it together with another Lloid. Double the Lloid, makes them paranoid!

rack up easy damage this way and wait for the enemy to slip up. that's when you try to hit Dsmash -> Upsmash.

Alternatively, backthrow kills, tree is always awesome, gimp-game is one of the best and his up and down air also have good launch potential :)

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
using a string of nairs and fairs/bairs, you can kill your opponent as early as 30-40%.

If you're looking for something easier to do, just dsmash, then usmash. Kills anyone at like 100%-120%

Pusha

Smash Rookie
Don't be afraid to really go out from the ledge to finish a kill, villager's recovery is ridiculous.

Jebus244

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NOHANDLEB4RZ
I don't think I've seen anyone mention Utilt and Dtilt. Utilt kills around 140-150 and Dtilt kills around 125. Dtilt is lethal! and has deceptive range. Don't let it stale.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I find that his forward/back air attacks, forward smash, and tree move are his best kill moves. The turnip is also fantastic and I have KO'd several times just riding the Lloyd Rocket as well.

elegyempty

Smash Rookie
Villager can be tricky because she doesn't have many straightforward kill options on the stage. Your focus, instead, should be to get the opponent off the edge using any means necessary. There, your options really shine.

First off, Villager's gimp/offstage game is one of the best (if not the best) in the cast. As a nice offset to having a hyper-punishable recovery, Villager can go as deep as she wants with almost no consequences. Bait a second jump, then poke them out of range with nair or stale turnips, or smash them into the blast zone with a close-range slingshot.

Second, Villager can also severely punish recoveries from the stage with disjoints and projectiles. People have adapted their recoveries to the bowling ball by now, but just planting a sapling at the edge can scare the opponent into a fatal mistake. You can punish get-ups with the massive tree-growth hitbox, or just drop the tree on anyone who lingers or jumps away from the ledge. Dropping trees over the edge can be enough to coax people far enough away during their recovery that they practically gimp themselves.

Last, if it comes to trying to get kills onstage, there's no shame in keeping the pressure on and continuing to rack up chip damage at range. One of the worst things you can do is panic and blindly start throwing out kill moves. If their percentage keeps going up, that just means that your kills get safer. Instead of trying to get a d-smash -> u-smash off of a roll, you could just catch them with a u-tilt or d-tilt. Late finishes happen to the best of us. Don't panic.

Or you could scrap all that and try to fake them out by riding a gyroid into them. This is never practical but always awesome.

Lowell

Smash Rookie
Besides Villagers amazing gimp game. His ax and back throw both kill around 120

CHOVI

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHOVI3
3DS FC
3566-1571-6130
Fsmash is also a good option. Seriously, if you let the ball fall off the ledge, it kills at around 60%

xXx_360Lucas420_xXx

Smash Rookie
One of the easiest and best KO'ing options is using dsmash when they're at around 100+, if you do it at 110, and then do a up smash, it can KO them VERY easily, you can make the usmash have greater power if you keep holding it until you see your opponent nudging, trying to get out of the ground, and once he does the usmash will take care of his jumping, like all villager mains know, even you jump out of the firework its impossible to not get hit, the firework is the best option instead of a bowling ball when they're in the ground, multiple hitboxes with a lot of knockback.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Most of villagers move set kills.
Utilt Dtilt Nair (high %) Dair UAir Fair Bair Bthrow Uthrow Side B (High %, when opponent hits lloid with move) Down B Sprout, Cut or Axe, Fsmash Dsmash into Usmash, Usmash.
Let's not forget gimps.

Foster J.

Smash Ace
Murderbito strikes anew!

A thing people seem to forget is against people with bad recoveries you can just use the watering can to slightly push them away from the ledge, admititly it's not as strong as Mario's water gun

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
Murderbito strikes anew!

A thing people seem to forget is against people with bad recoveries you can just use the watering can to slightly push them away from the ledge, admititly it's not as strong as Mario's water gun
Pls video montage this my recording sucks

_KArMa_

Smash Rookie
I mostly really on gimps.....but when @ mid percent If there off stage I like to use loid rocket and slingshot to keep them pressured and then just spam bowling balls like yolo

Top Bottom