• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble installing Melee 20XX

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
Now normally I don't make threads like this, but after a few days of waiting with no reply, multiple attempts on my own, and hours googling I feel like this thread needs to be made.

I'm gonna break this down nice and simple..

So trying to boot this up via nintendont and I get a

Failed to load kernel from NAND

Error. ive googled and best I found is suggesting to have meta.xml in the same folder as boot.dol is in. Except I do. What gives?
Alright still haven't gotten it working... not sure why, didn't have nearly as much trouble with project m, burned melee texture isos and emulators... really just about anything didn't give me this much of a headache.

SO new update: My wii was system menu 4.0, updated it to 4.3 via Nintendo, everything seems to work well. Minus the fact I cannot play GCbackup loader anymore... Also my homebrew channel was not removed. Figured I'd start from scratch in the unlikely event I screwed something up, esp while having my hand held and being provided download links.

following this guide right here, from the first post word for ****ing word
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1l_l5kpMerHY6IE92lia2aM3F6iL7WyQvTEU7pPe_7LU/edit?pli=1

1) First problem, the damn bannerbomb "press 1" won't appear on the scam warning (I'm patient, there wasn't any memory cards, usb, gc controllers connected. I can read and follow directions)
1.5) I download WiiMod-58-61_Hackmii_1.1.0, hackmii installer loads, I install bootmii as boot2, and reinstall HBC

POSSIBLE BIG PROBLEM, INSTALLING THE APP PACK, 2 FILES SAY IT CANNOT BE ENCRYPTED BUT COPY ANYWAY? or something of the sort, obviously i pick yes

2) following the guide, download an app pack it links me to, open multi mod manager. I I install and pacth the ios in express mode
2.5) go to the wad manager, I install DIOSMIOSLITE_2.11.wad.

I DO NOT HAVE ._DIOSMIOSLITE_2.11.wad ONLY DIOSMIOSLITE_2.11.wad, the guide says skip the first option and pick the second. I DO NOT HAVE THE FIRST OPTION SO I PICK THE SECOND ANYWAY

(possible from problem w encryption earlier?)

IT INSTALLS WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

3) I load diosmios and unlike the guide, melee 20xx is not recognized. (I made the iso myself following the directions in this thread, skipping the iso from the guide because I had one that my wii did recognize but would not boot via gcback up loader, usb loader, or nintendont before attempting to use this guide). but it does recognize it as a regular melee iso (still won't load though). It also doesn't load the burned disc of melee 20xx either.
3.5) diosmios loads and says "fatal error apploader size is zero!"

Serious question, wtf am I doing wrong? I've followed two different guides without fail and yet I get error messages. Not like there's a trouble shooting section either, believe me I've checked.

My wii is from 2007, first did homebrew through ocarina iirc for brawl+ way way back if that affects anything.
Do I need to remove stubbed IOS?
Do I need to update the shop channel? (idk why, a third soft mod guide on google said it's important)
Is it because I updated to system menu 4.3? It didn't work on 4.0 either
Seriously, what is going on here?

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
yeah all the above are in place, attempting to load it from sd card, formatted to FAT32. wii says IOS58 v6176 if that's the updated one.

I had trouble earlier loading it from a usb drive. A friend mentioned that it needs to be formatted to FAT32 with the command prompt and partitian active. Any info on that?

Firejew

Smash Cadet
Is your 20xx located at Sdroot\Games\(this doesn't matter but set it to GALEXX 4fun)\Game.iso?
Like the game file is named 'game'
Have you tried nintendont?
If your Wii is 4.3U then you don't have to install anything, just create a folder in sdroot\apps called nintendont and add the loader.dol (rename it to boot.dol) and add the meta.xml from the same page.
If Nintendont doesn't detect the games either you just put them in the wrong spot.
The fat32 format doesn't have to be done with a command prompt, just right click, format, (maybe click more options, I hope you're not using xp like that guide), and select 32kb clusters.
Can you load vanilla melee?

keymanb

Smash Apprentice
Any help is much, much, much appreciated. I tried to break it down so we can pinpoint the problem. Yes frustrated, yes mad.
If you use DIOS MIOS I can just give you the file that will work?

Oh, nvm you got it working, it's much more efficient from a USB, I could really show you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom