• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble hitting down throw up air

lui3k

Smash Cadet
Hey everyone, I kind of need some advice on hitting down throw up air for the kill.
From what I've seen higher level players like pink fresh do is once you down throw you jump forward and then from that you either pullback to catch them if they DI in or continue forward if DDI away in other words read their DI
Now when I do this if they don't DI away then I completely missed them and likewise if I don't jump forward and they DI away again I miss.

So any advice would help maybe I'm just doing it wrong or maybe I'm just too slow? But I swear when I watch those high-level players do it Lucas jumps faster am I just supposed to mash the jump button? Because if you do then Lucas jumps too early on his mid air jump and doesn't get enough air.

Last edited:

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
Hey everyone, I kind I need some advice on hitting down throw up air for the kill.
From what I've seen higher level players like pink fresh do is once you down throw you jump forward and then from that you either pullback to catch them if they DI in or continue forward if DDI away in other words read their DI
Now when I do this if they don't DI away then I completely missed them and likewise if I don't jump forward and they DI away again I miss.

So any advice would help maybe I'm just doing it wrong or maybe I'm just too slow? But I swear when I watch those high-level players do it Lucas jumps faster am I just supposed to mash the jump button? Because if you do then Lucas jumps too early on his mid air jump and doesn't get enough air.
Well one thing it could be is just a simple DI mixup. Another thing could be you having too much rage or them being at too high of a percentage. But when you go for kills like that you have to make sure to look at your percents. It all depends on the character, rage, and or DI mixups.

lui3k

Smash Cadet
Well one thing it could be is just a simple DI mixup. Another thing could be you having too much rage or them being at too high of a percentage. But when you go for kills like that you have to make sure to look at your percents. It all depends on the character, rage, and or DI mixups.
ok :/ any guidence on percentages?

EmpireCrusher203

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3926-7161-9170
Try to make your your opponent is next or close to your forehead. Try fast falling to get into range of the hitbox. If you need practice, go slow motion in training and try it out with different percentages. Practice makes perfect!

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
Without rage, down throw->up air is a KO at 100-120% depending on the weight of the character (excluding Shield Shulk). I don't know what you mean by "completely missed", but I'm going to make some assumptions.

1) You're dashing forward just before jumping, which will put you too far away from the opponent to hit the up air within the combo window.

2) You're inputting the up air too late; Lucas rises with the animation, and you can begin it a little earlier than you would expect.

3) You're not jumping properly. You don't need to hold the control stick in the direction you want to jump for the entire jump, just tap the control stick in the direction at the same time as the jump and Lucas will instantly shift his momentum enough to reach the desired spots.

The last point was the main thing messing me up when I switched my right stick to specials and wasn't able to just input up air with a flick of the thumb, instead needing to switch my thumb from moving Lucas to attacking. I thought I needed to hold the control stick to move Lucas into position, then quickly and accurately switch to an up air. Instead, all you need to do when you down throw is tap forward and jump at the same time, then read the DI and tap back, forward, or no direction at all when you do the next jump. This gives you plenty of time to hit the up air.

Also keep in mind your opponent's habits. If they seem to always DI the same way without any mixup, just do the motion for that follow-up without bothering to read them.

JosePollo

Smash Journeyman
Without rage, down throw->up air is a KO at 100-120% depending on the weight of the character (excluding Shield Shulk). I don't know what you mean by "completely missed", but I'm going to make some assumptions.

1) You're dashing forward just before jumping, which will put you too far away from the opponent to hit the up air within the combo window.

2) You're inputting the up air too late; Lucas rises with the animation, and you can begin it a little earlier than you would expect.

3) You're not jumping properly. You don't need to hold the control stick in the direction you want to jump for the entire jump, just tap the control stick in the direction at the same time as the jump and Lucas will instantly shift his momentum enough to reach the desired spots.

The last point was the main thing messing me up when I switched my right stick to specials and wasn't able to just input up air with a flick of the thumb, instead needing to switch my thumb from moving Lucas to attacking. I thought I needed to hold the control stick to move Lucas into position, then quickly and accurately switch to an up air. Instead, all you need to do when you down throw is tap forward and jump at the same time, then read the DI and tap back, forward, or no direction at all when you do the next jump. This gives you plenty of time to hit the up air.

Also keep in mind your opponent's habits. If they seem to always DI the same way without any mixup, just do the motion for that follow-up without bothering to read them.
Going off of this, keep in mind the attack's animation in relation to where the hitbox is. The hitbox extends from about his eyes to slightly over the tip of his hair. He rears back, and then frames 7-9 happen on the forward motion of his head. This means the hitbox spends more frames up and in front of him (frames 8-9) than exactly above him (frame 7), so you should be aiming your up air to hit slightly in front of where his head is before you input the attack. It's still a very short arcing motion, and the attack is only active for 3 frames so it's not as noticeable a hitbox movement--like with, say, a sword swipe or Ness's up air--but if you keep the small arcing motion in your head it'll make it a little easier to know where exactly to place the attack.

Last edited:

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
In terms of general advice, I think jumping slightly forward off the down throw should help you land the finisher more easily. If they DI away, keep following with your second jump. If they don't DI, it should connect easily. If they DI toward you, jump backward (i.e. toward the opponent) with your second jump. (It sounds like you're already doing this, but just to reiterate.) Other than that, I recommend saving your second jump until you reach the apex of your first, then pressing jump again.

EDIT: Note that you shouldn't wait until Lucas pauses midair at the end of your first full hop. Make sure you double-jump while Lucas still has upward momentum and see if that helps. :)

Last edited:

lui3k

Smash Cadet
In terms of general advice, I think jumping slightly forward off the down throw should help you land the finisher more easily. If they DI away, keep following with your second jump. If they don't DI, it should connect easily. If they DI toward you, jump backward (i.e. toward the opponent) with your second jump. (It sounds like you're already doing this, but just to reiterate.) Other than that, I recommend saving your second jump until you reach the apex of your first, then pressing jump again.

EDIT: Note that you shouldn't wait until Lucas pauses midair at the end of your first full hop. Make sure you double-jump while Lucas still has upward momentum and see if that helps. :)
thank you i realized that you gotta mash the jump i was waiting until i hit the apex of the first jump its helped but still not a guarenteed thing for me i manage to hit it and not kill and then its too late they fly too far away i guess i just need more practice but thank you so much

frozentreasure

Smash Apprentice
NNID
frozentreasure
thank you i realized that you gotta mash the jump
Nope. If you think that's the issue then you're probably hitting up air too late; you don't need to wait until the absolute apex of the first jump, but you do need to delay the second jump a little. Just hit up air while you're moving upwards on the second jump. Don't try to hit it when you're already there.

lui3k

Smash Cadet
Nope. If you think that's the issue then you're probably hitting up air too late; you don't need to wait until the absolute apex of the first jump, but you do need to delay the second jump a little. Just hit up air while you're moving upwards on the second jump. Don't try to hit it when you're already there.
i get what you mean I guess what I meant to say was I was jumping too late after the first jump I'm having much more success with it now doing it this way, it's still not a guaranteed thing for me I guess I just don't know the percentages by heart most of the time when I try they already flyaway too far.

However the whole Reading DI after the first jump For me it's too hard, I just taken educated guess according to how they've been DI'ing through out the match if I predicted correctly then BAM there goes the stock but if they mixed it up then I'm left in mid air swinging my fore head. Just a question but you are able to read which direction they input and then have time to redirect the second jump in catch them? I'm just asking because for me it's way too hard I know top level players can do it because they hit consistently but to be fair they don't hit it hundred percent of the time as well. Anyways I'm just trying to learn kind of seems in vain though since whenever you come up against Cloud Corin or Bayonetta it's game over

Last edited:
Top Bottom