• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble beating Duck Hunt?

Eutheran

Smash Rookie
I have been paired against him 5 out of the last 6 times I have played and just can't seem to beat him. They just constantly space beyond your tip and feel a bit faster than Marth. I clear dynamite and chase but all that seems to do is get me punished unless I have a hard read on a roll. Any tips for this match-up?

EternalFlame

Smash Ace
NNID
Eterna1Flame
3DS FC
1993-8719-0815
From my own experience against Duck Hunt, your best options are Fairs, SH SBs, and just general dodging. Poke inbetween the projectile spam, as even if they miss (the non committing ones that is), will apply pressure to your opponent. Projectile characters in almost any fighter hate up close pressure, and its your job to close the window. SHs also help dodge and bait smashes from Duck Hunt, so picking your times to get in are essential.

LordShade67

Smash Ace
NNID
LordShade67
3DS FC
2148-8642-9915
Walking Shield is also another option vs. Duck Hunt or really any character with a projectile. You have the fastest walking speed(tied with your descendent) in the game. USE IT!

Kinslayer

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4597-0744-1374
i have a few matches of me playing vs a duck hunt I could record and upload if you'd like. So you can see how i approach the match up.

Wraeith

Smash Cadet
Duck Hunt is definitely one of the harder matchups for any character that falters against projectiles and general camping. Best advice I can give is try to experiment with what approaches work against what players and attempt to weave between projectiles and feign aggression after you break through then confirm some follow-up when they react (depends on the player whether they prefer the immediate aggressive attack retaliation or defensive shield/grab) to you getting through their wall. Aerial approaches are fairly strong against DHD as his down special and side special are entirely horizontal, so that only leaves the can/neutral special that you have to dodge.

Against DHD in particular, actually getting through the projectiles is only half the struggle as DHD has pretty good options with his disjointed smashes and potential grabs. So patience is the key; don't immediately lunge for an attack just because he's in range as he's still the one in control if he gets a grab and resets the distance.

Top Bottom