• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trouble against HEAVIES and the FALCON

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Idk why but Rosalina has some hard times against heavy characters like bowser and DeDeDe as well as Capt. Falcon

how should i approach these matchups?

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
From my experience they can tank Lumas with their super armor and hit Luma anyway. They can charge in pretty easily. I don't know if that's why though.
I know Rosalinas can have trouble with rush characters in general because they can get around Luma.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Yeah and u cant reall play slow then becuz if u just stand there
well ur screwed lol they can break sheild easily and rush characters can just get around ya

Iron Kraken

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't think Rosalina has much trouble with heavy characters at all. You may have faced specific opponents who defeated you with Bowser, Dedede, and Captain Falcon, but there's nothing in particular that puts Rosalina at a disadvantage against those characters as opposed to any other character against Bowser/Dedede/Falcon.

One thing I will say is that because Rosalina is very light and heavy characters hit so strong, if you're not careful you can get KO'd at a very low %. But to counter that, Rosalina has faster attacks and can control space. So you just need to avoid making crucial mistakes and allowing them to get a hard smash attack in. Play defensively.

Against Dedede, remember that you can use gravitational pull on his gordos. Also, the Luma shot takes priority over his gordos and sends them right back his way.

Last edited:

Warlock*G

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
0146-9477-0226
About that Captain Falcon matchup

Rosalina is floaty *and* a big target; she's just asking to be juggled and "kneed" by Falcon.

Keep Luma close to you; it will put Falcon at a disadvantage when he tries to get in. If Luma does get killed, evade Falcon until it comes back.

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
/threads/me-vs-a-decent-captain-falcon-video-how-to-deal-with-rush-down-characters.374727/

Don't know if you saw my post on this earlier but if you haven't, you can read some of my tips on how I deal with Cpt. Falcon and watch me fight a decent one in a For Glory match.

Heavies are the easiest characters to deal with imo. Spacing them out with Luma shouldn't be really hard and most of their tools to fight against zoners are pretty much useless when they have Luma and Gravitational Pull to deal with. Juggling, and Gimping them is easier than ever because you are light and they are heavy and slow and you have the range, priority and tools to pull them off effectively. You should be able to double stock them pretty fine if they are of an average skill level.

ooglefart

Smash Rookie
I had a friend beating me as capt falcon pretty consistently and I'd say he's pretty good, or at least, captain falcon is the only character he's competitively good at. I got frustrated and just did a 100 stock against a lvl 9 CPU captain falcon to practice pblocking falcons b moves, specifically down b and side b, which my friend was using to get rid of luma easily. Those moves can be easily punished after blocking. The down b punish can be kind of tricky depending on where he starts his kick. If he starts the kick close to you the as soon as he goes through you immediately turn around and do a dash attack. If he starts farther away, I find that up smash usually works since he'll end up more or a less on top of you and up smash can cover both forward and behind. If the up smash ins't working i'd suggest a side tilt if he ends up behind you or a grab if he ends up in front of you. These are suggestions for when falcon is in control.

Once you have wrested control from the falcon he becomes much easier to deal with. I usually just force him to a ledge and start throwing him over the edge. If you land your forward air while captain falcon is below the axis of the main platform a Fair will gimp him every time no matter the percentage. At higher percents (even like 50%+) just landing a forward air anywhere off the platform, as long as it's not super high up, will usually gimp him. Since his recover options are pretty limited it's actually really easy to hit him with a Fair in most cases, especially if you're the one throwing him off the edge. Of course, throwing luma off the edge can even further limit his options.

When I'm fighting a character like this who seemingly counters rosalina, I just try to keep the character off the platform at all times so they have very few opportunities to actually use their ground game to take rosalina out. The characters I most often use this tactic on are: marth/lucina, little mac(lol), ganondorf, captian falcon, and bowser. I'm sure that there are more that it would be useful with, but I don't know a whole lot of matchups just yet.

For characters that have superior air moves, or just a really good recovery that makes fighting off the edge like this a lot more risky, I tend to just let luma do the work. I've had the most success sending luma out over the platform to bait out a jump or recovery move from the opponent and then easily punishing it from the safety of the ledge.

Anyway, hope this is helpful, Captain Falcon is actually very easy to deal with once you know the matchup.

Rosalina4lyfe

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Yeah, like with a lot of matchups people say Rosalina has trouble with, I don't think Rosalina has trouble with Falcon or heavies. Like I beat them all of the time as if it's second nature. If they beat me, they simply outplayed me, lag was an issue, or fatigue was an issue.

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Makes enough sense
it might just be a personal matchup for me that i have trouble with and nothing more lol

Shanoa

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Davin134
3DS FC
2809-8856-1709
Makes enough sense
it might just be a personal matchup for me that i have trouble with and nothing more lol
Don't worry. Just practise, and try to get a good read on your opponent. Find out makes them roll and airdodge, and be ready to punish it. If you can predict your opponent, it should be an easy fight. Falcon is pretty easy to shield grab for his dash attacks and special moves. Use them, but keep an eye out for when they would try and counter your shield grabs.

Falcon is pretty easy to juggle, so I'd suggest that you try and practise juggling him in training, so you can get used to his weight.

If spam dodging is a problem for you, set the CPU to Lv 9 in training and set the CPU to Run. From there, just practise punishing his rolls for awhile and he should be easier to deal with.

Anyway, I hope this helps. Good luck!

Last edited:

MG_Music

Smash Cadet
NNID
xMGMusicx
Welp i beat a charizard with rosalina today :D

and then afterward i two stocked the Charizard with Alph......................
That happened LOL

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
MG_Music Your best bet against captain falcon is to respond to his aggro tactics on the defensive, using luma in shield. Try and read out his behavior, and don't let luma get killed if you can avoid it, but always let luma take the hit if you have to choose. Since they upped the time luma has to take to come back, don't sacrifice her unless you think its going to save your life. Falcon's best approaches are his running tackle, or running grab. You should practice effectively spacing with cfal and your other difficult matchups in training mode. Warlock*G knows what he's talking about.

Top Bottom