• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tripping not Random?

Haji

Smash Rookie
So why did they even put in tripping? Also, does anyone have the feeling that tripping isn't completely random? Maybe we just haven't discovered what causes it yet...

Was just curious what everyone else thought on the matter... discuss how you see fit.

Ref

Smash Champion
NNID
Refpsi
Actually tripping is completely random if you see this video you can tell.
People proved that it is random because they used 3 synchronized wave bird controllers to prove it

you can watch the video here
http://youtube.com/watch?v=PmCtH2QTsPw

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I tripped at the start of the match once, which disproved the theory that stated you trip after a "guage" builds. Maybe the "guage" increases the odds.

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
The theory is that when you have imperfect input on dashes, it adds to a gage that determines tripping:
-This affects the odds of tripping
-You can go a whole match while still being at risk to trip, but never trip due to luck
-You can begin a match with imperfect input and trip immediately, just with a low "trip gage"

Two people with the same trip gage will not trip at the same time, as it is still somewhat dependent on chance (the odds determined by the gage, the odds)

This theory is a bit far fetched, so I don't really believe it.

PozerWolf

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmmmm...

The thing is that you need to figure out what the game reads as "random".

It's been pointed out that the way the game has be coded is that tripping is random by how offensive you play.

Supposedly its been said the more ground/air dodges you do, the less likely you are to trip.

With that said, it seems like air dodge does not effect it so much, but ground dodge tends to make it where I just never trip at all. Or maybe I've just been lucky in so many matches.

Oh well.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
tripping is completely random. watch the youtube video up there. if it had anything to do with button imput or being aggressive, then they would all fall at the same time. it just randomly happens to anger people.

Shaman

Smash Apprentice
1. USE THE SEARCH FEATURE... come on guys, its not hard, just type, enter, and click one of the like 50 other tripping threads.

according to one thread tripping is influence by who has the lead in percentage damage, and/or stock advantage, i did a little testing, and that theory seems to hold true, but I didn't do enough testing to assert that the claim is true. and i can't find the darn thread right now, but hopefully soon...

found it, I appologize, it was not posted on Smashboards: here

wazgood

Smash Ace
the video doesnt disprove the theory at all
the theory says that messed up dashing increases your CHANCES OF TRIPPING; it doesnt directly cause you to trip

everybody can agree that there is a random factor involved in tripping, but there are some things you can do you change your chances of tripping

bnestman

Smash Cadet
It's a stupid addition at any rate. Most often times it does not affect gameplay but everyonce in a while it leaves you extremely vunerable at random?!?!? why?

Corigames

Smash Hero
everybody can agree that there is a random factor involved in tripping, but there are some things you can do you change your chances of tripping
Like, never move?

That is the only way to be assured you will not trip is to make NO attempt, what so ever, at movement while on the ground. If you have an attack that requires no movement of the control stick, then that is how you have to win the fight. Also, you have to make sure to never be hit, as some moves have a chance to knock you over instead of pushing you away.

And yes, everyone CAN agree, but many won't until there is sound evidence that such a theory is proven right. Until then, it can only be claimed as completely by chance with no other factors to aid.

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
who believes that an improper button imput would make you trip later? that doesnt even make sense. How would that even be possible? thats like saying the trophies you pick up in sse are affected by what B move your character did before making the trophy drop.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Watch the video, and watch the Marios. The far right Mario tripped first, followed by the middle Mario. Reset. Far right Mario tripped AGAIN.

Now note that this is also on the same wavebird. I HIGHLY doubt that there's a specific formula, and if there is, it is a rather small one that affects gameplay next to nothing (like the chances or pulling out a bob-omb with Peach. Though rare, you aren't counting your chances on that, you're just pulling out crap from the ground).

Tripping = random for the greater part. Any factors = not even necessary, just there to baffle a hacking audience.

Top Bottom