• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Translating from "For Glory" to competitive tournament play

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
I play basically all online For Glory since my roommates don't play Smash and I haven't been able to find the time to head out to an actual live tournament. I have a pretty high win percentage in For Glory as I'm sure most of you do, but the obvious problem here is that For Glory is not a representation of going to a big tournament and playing opponents in those brackets, or even playing in an online tournament that you see hosted on the forums here.

I'm not going to sit and try to justify how my high win percentage in for glory actually means something like you hear the butthurt morons in CoD or Halo scream about how their K/D is this so they're better. I know the only way to really see how you can match up against the competitive scene is to join the competitive scene.

For those who have gone through this, do you find the transition a simple one? When playing online, there's going to be that element of lag from button press to move execution.

I signed up to play in the Wii U 1v1 tourney at the new Super Smash Con this upcoming August. I know the odds are extremely not in my favor and quite honestly, I just hope that I can maybe take a game, not get matched up against a Zero or close to that in my first match and have a great weekend there overall. But do you have any general tips for going from the realm of online to face to face play? Or is really all one can do just DO it and you'll get adjusted to it?

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
if you play as "reading the opponent" style, the translation from FG to tourny isnt that big since you have the basic. however it will be harder (imaging playing a game there you switch from Easy/Normal to Normal/Hard)

if you play that way you mindless spamming buttons without any readable thing, it will be very hard for you since you will probely be read like a book

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
if you play as "reading the opponent" style, the translation from FG to tourny isnt that big since you have the basic. however it will be harder (imaging playing a game there you switch from Easy/Normal to Normal/Hard)

if you play that way you mindless spamming buttons without any readable thing, it will be very hard for you since you will probely be read like a book
Well I do of course play by reading opponents, bur reading opponents doesn't instantaneously winning. I don't know if I'm giving SmashBoards too much credit. But I feel like generally most people who play smash bros and have an account and post here have the ability to read opponents even ever so slightly.

I've come across some INSANELY good for glory players out there. Some that when I watch the matches later on, their swift movement and teching looks like it is on par with or better than I've seen in some of the high level tournament play we've seen before.

It feels like some of those FG players I've come across could win live tournaments quite easily but it's impossible to tell and what that means for me. If you took the top 4 in APEX 2015 and put them in For Glory for 4 hours, always facing a different opponent after each match, would they eventually come across opponents that beat them and would this happen more than once?

NotAnAdmin

Smash Journeyman
It's hard to tell, there are many different match-ups out there.
As for me, I play Falco, he doesn't have any crazy good match-ups in his favour, but there are many that every Falco main would agree that he is unlikely to win.
Another variable are the skill levels of the players. Also there's lag and the stage can't be set. Which can help certain match-ups. I think Playing 4Glory can help you learn to adapt quickly, but it's true most of the players there aren't that good.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
nothing wrong with playing for glory for practice, but there are a few things in tournaments that you should prepare for. Things that aren`t in FG mode such as different stages, no sudden death, and potentially even custom moves depending on the . Also maybe play for Glory in best 2 out of 3 or best 3 out of 5 sets before switching to another player, so you can get used to that kind of match format. Things may feel faster paced as well, without the lag.

Last edited:

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
I love your mentality of not using for glory stats as a barometer for how good you are. I'm also glad you realised early that for glory is not an ideal place at all to train for high competitive play. Before going into translating from for glory to competitive play, let me note one quick distinction that traps a lot of people in every competitive game ever, ever. And that is..

Your goal in becoming a competitive beast, unless you are currently in a tournament, is to learn and not to win. Winning tournaments is often the result of growing the most competitively, which is done through consistently applying learning and not through merely winning your training matches! Foregoing a stronger training option or opponent because you will be winning less during training makes no sense! Focusing so hard on winning while training that learning and sharpening core mechanics takes a mental backseat makes no sense! Stop training to win and start training to apply learning, people!!

okay. now that that's settled,

In order to become a smash god, as someone whose played other games hyper competitively and has been playing smash literally 12-16 hours a day currently trying to breakdown the most effective route to tournament play, I can't say I know everything. But, the most solid pattern to godlike growth if it were to be broken down would certainly be these three things:

Find the right people to practice the right things with. Then condition yourself in the right environments.

♥♥♥♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♥♥

1) Who are the right people to train with?

This point is perhaps most controversial (and most crucial), but I'll explain why doing it this specific way will undoubtedly help you grow literally months ahead of other players and therefore is far superior. Put simply, The "right people" are people who can body you (defeat you effortlessly)! You want to befriend and make these people your constant training buddies!

Why? Your goal should never be to consistently play where you're evenly skilled with your opponent- unless you're playing merely for entertainment. You want to get sparring partners who you will decisively lose to! You want people who attend or plan on attending tournaments, the people who master high level techniques while winning/placing highly if possible.

One of the biggest reasons being: If you want to become a god, befriend the gods. If you wanna go Super Saiyan faster, befriend the people who know how. Isai befriended Ken and became his training partner, then placed third in his first melee tournament two weeks after being brought into melee. Zero became M2k's buddy and they trained together, and look at him now pretty much full god-mode over the sm4sh community.

Yes both were competitively tempered already but the constant conditioning they got and WE can get, and free training via consistent games with these people or even highly skilled people, is infinitely more valuable than even 20 or 30 lukewarm sparring partners who probably wouldn't make it out of lower tournament bracket anyway.

It's classic KoreanDJ strategy. Find the best, play with the best, learn from the best. The coolest thing is that there's so many ways to reach highly competent players online and via forums nowadays that you don't even have to money match to get access and advice from greatness!

A valid case people make opposing this strategy "Well, people will get discouraged playing strong people who are too good and should play people more even to keep themselves motivated; they'll feel less pressure and have more room to self-improve and actually know what's happening and why they're losing". That's why it's helpful to befriend these godlike/skilled people or at least add them beforehand. They'll be much more open to play you consistently, it'll be much less intimidating and discouraging for you playing with a friend, and if they're really good you have easier access to them!

As for the second part there's indeed less pressure in weaker matches which is well-meaning, but to be fair people sparring with those of equal skill don't commonly think, "Ah, I see! I lost because of this and this, and I'm forced to notice mistakes because there's less to notice. Time to improve~". The more usual response is, "Oh bleep bleep, I lost. I coulda won and I lost.. this person got me with a cheap shot, and it cost me... gosh.. I was doing good.. coulda won.. [insert more focus on the outcome rather than growth]".

But aside from that, getting too discouraged over losing during training usually means you're over-prioritizing winning as a permission to feel good. Free yourself from this trap, and get excited over strong players teaching you correct habits for free.

Those who already are the right people, who know the right things, and who play in the right environments. Look for these people, and seek to befriend them for constant matches. Become aware and hungry to master this alone, and you will blow other people out the water in terms of speed and results.
(Hoo... hah. Now that that's taken care of, we can get to the other significantly important yet smaller parts.)

2) What are the right things/how should I practice them?

"The right things" goes much broader than mere character mastery- from core fundamentals like short hopping and shield grabbing to advanced pivots and mixups to having an unpredictable gameplay style while simultaneously being able to predict your opponent's patterns and using it to your advantage etc etc depth, so I'll stick to a tl;dr version:
The "right things" are things that will place you first in tournaments.
It's not things that beat all your high school buddies.
It's not all the tactics that work in for glory.

And that's why making sure you're playing with the right people is crucial; another important benefit of playing with competitive level players is not only the strategies you learn you can get away with through training sessions, but also learning what you cannot get away with! I, for example, played 2 years in past iterations of smash using dash attacks and unsafe aerial attacks and things I would get easily punished for if I was playing with tournament goers and not casual buddies. Later I got my butt kicked and learned which approaches were merely working because my opponents weren't good, not because the approaches were reliable.

I was being conditioned into doing the wrong things, and things that weren't optimal ways to play. I also wasn't being forced to learn what oos(out of shield) options or fast falling or auto-cancelling even was because nobody around me was using them.

That's why For Glory, to a certain degree, isn't a good place to train. The majority of its players aren't trying to use competitively viable strategies. For glory's lag often promotes smash attack spam and roll-spamming tactics, which would quickly get you deleted if emulated in tournament play. A lot of the people are doing the wrong things and will teach you to do the wrong things.

Unless you just want some laidback games, "rolling the dice", looking for gems who know what they're doing when you can just go to them directly online. never add you straight from for glory if you're getting dominated. In fact, they usually just instantly leave. So you're left conditioning the wrong things with the wrong people, in a subpar laggy environment. If you're not the "right person" yet, for glory is mediocre training outside of basic character mastery; yet if you are the right person, you don't need for glory.

Lastly you must not only learn the tryhard spacing and core fundamentals and pivots and such, but also adapt them into your gameplay so that you can rely on them. If you let your learning lead to "knowledge", yet can't reliably perform the techniques you know about, then you're only hurting your game.
"yeah yeah, I know about pivot grabs" is worthless. "Have I adapted pivot grabs to the point where it's comfortable and something I can rely on performing competitively?" is a worthy question.

You can read every guide and get a baseline mental understanding all you want on short hopping, but until you can consistently short hop/auto-cancel/pivot grab/etc to the point where you can depend upon performing it in clinch situations then you need to keep practicing it consistently to adapt it into your play. Then and only then does it truly belong to you.

(P.S. Use youtube how-to videos from top level players for characters and competitive strategies as a bridge into doing the right things! Also you don't want to do the right things every single time or you become predictable, but you'll learn about that in making reads and becoming unpredictable~)

3) Which environments should I use for conditioning competitive play?

Tournaments, online and offline.
Wait, what? Going to tournaments for practice??
Yes, actually.

Signing up for a bunch of online tourneys would do you very nicely and is quite easy! Getting into playing offline to get used to the initial sensations of playing outside the comfort of your own place around lots of other people!

You can also "condition" yourself in consistent practice with a competitive sparring partner in a friend-made room. sort of. Though there is a slight difference between practicing and mastering the game through consistent sparring partners, and competing in a tournament environment.

Real tournaments, and anything that can give you the feeling of "oh shoot this is ranked and this matters and the pressure is too real" will help lots with mastering the subtle psychological pressures of actual tournaments you decide on dominating. And again, the right people will have conditioning in the right environments and will be more likely to help you! Notice a pattern?

♥♥♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥♥♥

So yeah, that's pretty much it~! To summarize,
  • Play matches to LEARN and adapt learning, not to win. Also study tournament match replays and sparring replays where you get bodied to learn and adapt learning.

• Find the right people, ideally Zero or M2k or Mr R or Dabuz or Nakat or some OP tournament level player/people who win or place highly and tournaments! And befriend these people for consistent sparring

• If Little Mac trained with a generic beginner/intermediate boxer for comfort reasons rather than befriending and training with Doc Louis, one of the greatest fighters of all time, would he have learned the star punch as quickly- if at all? Learn from Little Mac. Get your Doc Louis. (punchout reference, lol)

• Stop using For Glory!! Please for the love of
  • Train consistently with high level buddies, and add them to make sure you have access to train with them often (repetition 2 strong!)

• Don't just learn the right things to do mechanics and character wise, adapt new these strategies into your gameplay so that it becomes natural and comfortable

• Main Mii Swordfighter on Palutena's Temple stage with max item pokeballs on unless you're casual

See you at the top friends.

Last edited:

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
@ Corginado Corginado
I'll agree that it's good to play with people better than you, but it's not good to go too far above your skill level. If you do that, you'll just get demolished effortlessly without learning what you're doing wrong. If your opponent is godlike, even asking for advice may not help, since you get beaten just as badly when trying to apply it to the next game.

The solution? Play people above your skill level, but don't try to climb Everest if you can't go for a 3 mile hike. And always, always, ask for advice. Even if you won a match, if it was a close one, ask your opponent what you could do to get better. If you can, bring your own setup and record your replays. Look over them and see what worked and what didn't.

Otherwise, great write-up by Corginado.

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
@ Iceweasel Iceweasel
Why thank you, really appreciate the feedback! Also dat Malon signature though.~

And yeah, I used to think literally the exact same thing in terms of fighting players that are "too good" to the point you don't learn. And it's really true that a godlike opponent will be beating their sparring partners to the point where they won't be able to see many results at all while attempting to apply their learning into gameplay.

A big factor to me, however, is truly how consistently you're playing with these people. Merely playing a powerful opponent is usually a short round or two of getting handled; what I reccommend are powerful training partners, which aims for extended sessions rather than quick matches. If you can practice techniques and study a couple hours or even with a couple of times a week with a pro vs with an average player, wouldn't the fact that you're getting demolished(in terms of "winning") be a small price in comparison to being constantly demonstrated superior tactics and strategies- and even getting the chance of being conditioned by players who have been trained to excel?

The "Don't climb Everest if you can't go for a 3 mile hike" analogy makes me chuckle, and is quite true! Though, if we're focusing on long-term training and picking training partners for the eventual Everest climb, wouldn't a comparable analogy be:

If your goal is truly to climb Mt. Everest someday, would you rather spend 30 hours training with people who have climbed and overcome Mt. Everest or spend 30 hours training with your buddies who go on 3-mile hikes?

The area of choosing who to train and condition with is certainly challenging. I could be wrong, and your points are indeed very true, it's just I genuinely feel well-seasoned training partners would greatly benefit new players. I do appreciate hearing more and truly am eager to further test multiple perspectives and training methods.~

Also these posts have taken over 5 hours so I'm turning this into a complete guide topic on "How To Reach Competitive-Level Play Quickly". I'll also be providing some resources here that will transfer to the topic soon. (More feedback and advice cutting out things which seem redundant would be much appreciated, as well as resources which have helped you)

Last edited:

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
Just a slight note that if you have no-one else to train with. Use Smash Ladder. Even though it's online. It has such better matchups.

Corginado

Smash Cadet
NNID
Corginado
Resources~

Here's some solid tools and links for players looking to find the right people to learn the right things with. Or who wish to condition in the right environments for learning and tournament play!

♥tl;dr version♥

Smashboards
The organized competitive section, specific character mastery sections, and guides here really make it the best resource for tryhards and even casuals to grow and meet people.

Smashladder
This site is ridiculously useful for its fast jump-into-battle chat system, as well as it's competitive-style ranked matches and dedicated competitive player base! It's a valuable way to befriend higher level players for consistent games. They even have an easy-to-use online tournament section! Heavily recommended!!

Youtube

Youtube is amazing for three main reasons:

1. It can be used to learn core fundementals or specific mechanics!

(example Smash Theory: Zoning or Jab Locking Tutorial)
2. You can search up pro players' guides for characters you enjoy!
(example Captain Falcon Tutorial by LoF Nakat)
3. You can examine how your characters are used by high-level players, including how they're moving and spacing for their moves and what styles are being used for combo!
(example Mr R Sheik vs Nietono Sheik. Notice which moves they find ideal when in neutral, their approach options "run to shield, short hop etc", which combos they go for at certain percents and how they set them up. How do they edgeguard/recover and why?)

Challonge
Perhaps the most used and most efficient site for online tourneys at the moment, this site is really simple and is a nice asset for those looking to get conditioned into competing!

Local Tournaments
This is a very solid way to meet training partners and condition yourself for competitive play! If there is any tournament scene near you, it should be near mandatory for you to work on attending. Don't worry about preparing in order to go to tournaments, your focus should be on going to tournaments in order to prepare.

Check Smashboards Regional Zones or the Reddit Smash Wiki for tournaments in your area!

{Tips and Tricks}

- Always actively be on the lookout for opportunities to befriend high level competitive players! This is so important.
When you go to tournaments, use it as an opportunity to gain new training partners! When you see high level people contributing in these forums, like their helpful comments and ask them for advice or dittos with their main!

- If you'd like to get a high-level person to help you train with a character you enjoy, look in the forums for a highly skilled person who shows great talent with your favorite character and (again) politely request dittos or advice! Yes, sometimes it really is that simple. People who love their mains appreciate others who love their mains, and the Smashboards community is really friendly!

- Save your replays of close or difficult games to use for learning later! Also games of you losing, while less flashy, will generally offer more improvement than domination replays of you double meteor smashing your opponent in under 20 seconds.

- This is only really relevant in high tournament play, but if you're serious about playing competitively, try to also condition yourself for playing in noisy or even uncomfortable environments where you're actively being cheered against! Even in famous sets, sometimes what contributes to the big upset of less prominent players beating well-known players are external tournament factors of loud noises cheering against you and having people constantly shouting and jeering for you to lose; it can really wear on performance unless the players are ready for it. I have a friend who developed the habit of literally wearing headphones and listening to music in Grand Finals during one of his tourneys! Whatever your technique may be, you must get conditioned to those high pressure and even sometimes unfavorable situations.

Last edited:

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Just joined smashladder. There's a ranking system but I'm sure that it still isn't really too much of an indication. There's no FAQ or anything describing how it works but it's nice to play against people in a 3 set fashion, banning stages, etc.

Top Bottom