• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

transiton from melee

strike42

Smash Journeyman
hey i use to use link in melee and i want to know how he has changed and what i should do to get use to the new link

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
His u-tilt is still useful and his f-tilt is more useful than melee. His u-smash is more useful, and his other smashes are still pretty good.
His clawshot attack in the air is amazingly useful
his up+b is pretty much useless in this game and a u-smash out of shield is better
his n-air doesn't last for days anymore, his b-air is stronger, his u-air and d-air is more riskier to use because of lack of l-canceling.
His boomerang has changed, and there is debate whether it's better or worse, but it is still useful. His arrows are actually useful in this game and his bombs give a lot better knockback in Brawl.
He lost his rapid illusion stab and only has like 3 hit standard A attack, but it is still good for spacing and getting people out of your face.

Link's moves come out faster in Brawl, and his mobility on the ground is faster than it was in Melee. But his aerial game isn't the best and he's really easy to kill through aggressive edgeguarding and his recovery is complete garbage. His approach isn't that great and you have to camp a lot.

That's all I can think of right now. <_<

D

Deleted member

only two things you have to know

1) his recovery is terrible
2) he's bottom/low tier

other than that all the differences link has you can learn in 10 minutes

BBQ°

Smash Champion
His up-b is no longer a semi-spike and you can't L-cancel aerials, because of that, you shouldn't even bother with Link.

Jink

Smash Apprentice
This is garbage, Link is just different from Melee, he lost and gain, you just have to play him different than Melee, if you try Melee style on Brawl you'll have hard times and lose.
Room for creativity with Link is still there, but most of all you have to be patience, fool around with your aggressor, renember "even rabbits can bite back". (and Link was a rabbit).
Just appreciate what he gained, and don't bother for what he "lost".
Gale now is awesome and it is wrong to miss judge it as s**t just because it doesn't suit Melee play style.
...enough bs..., etc, etc..., The Art of Link video should be enough to pump hot-blood into the battle, but that's just my opinion.

No offence to anyone btw...

Spudnick

Smash Apprentice
Playing Link for the first time in brawl was kinda tough for me because of the lack of L cancelling. His Dair is still very powerful, but also super laggy and more situational. Everybody else pretty much talked about his other differences...

Deva

Smash Lord
Link sucks. End of story. No better or worse than in melee. Actually prolly in the exact same spot lol. Just be a good player and it doesn't matter as much.

D

Deleted member

Link sucks. End of story. No better or worse than in melee. Actually prolly in the exact same spot lol. Just be a good player and it doesn't matter as much.
QFT

Deva for god tier!!

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO

yo maen u kiddin foo likn is da bes charectr in tha ****in gaem you have 2 b blin d to sae oterhwize mah gawd

i meen *** on, its deva for gods sake

i meen diva b/c hes a girl yo

but seroiysl links a good chacrester

henrytran

Smash Apprentice
The big change for Link is that since he is slower overall without l-cancelling, and his up-B was majorly weakened, Link suddenly has more situational moves. The Uair and Dair in Melee was more spammable when Link was less floaty and could l-cancel. Now, you'd have to really know when to use the Uair and Dair because they can often miss and you can get majorly punished.

That said, once you re-learn how to use his gale boomerang, adjust for the slower moving but stronger bomb, Link's projectile game is still excellent with his faster quick-draw arrow.

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
I agree, but how can you post perfect grammar once and then stuff like ^that later?
It's a joke, I was making a pun on how half the members come and post here and basically suck deva's **** (not meant toward arkive zero, I know he's seen deva's stuff) but it's just annoying of how I see just any random person just say either that or just something stupid.

Hypa-Link

Smash Journeyman
Link is probably overrall better.

I'd trade Link's orgasmic spin attack from melee for the not as useful Brawl one for the Brawl Usmash instead of the completely garbage craptacular Usmash from Melee.

Top Bottom