• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transitioning to the WiiU!

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
OH MY GAWD IT FEELS SO GOOD TO PLAY SMASH AGAIN! MY 3DS STILL ISN'T GETTING REPLACED TILL NEXT WEEK, SMASH 4, I'LL NEVER LEAVE YOU AGAIN.

...ahem...

Anyways, now that the WiiU version has dropped, I'd thought I'd make a thread on what changes are present now that you have your own controller options!

I've been using the Classic Controller Pro, as my Gamestop did not have their gamecube adapters in yet, but I am loving the second stick! Especially being able to charge your smashes, with DH having a great reason to do so as well (extra range!).

Things that may be easier:
  • Sliding into Up-Smash: Just for coverage, since trying to pop people off the ground with it is quite hard unless they have a larger or taller hurtbox (DeDeDe, Bowser).
  • Short hop dair: The amount of disjoint on this move is crazy, but not easy to set-up. Thankfully, just flicking down the second stick will do the trick!
  • Pivot tricks: While possible on the 3DS, I feel it's much easier on an analog stick. Basically the act of spinning around from a dash into an action! With the C-Stick able to charge smashes also, don't be afraid to give it a try!
  • Retreating moves: By far the biggest advantage to a second stick. While in mid-air, you can drift left but control space on the right by tossing out a fair or Clay! Spacing is key with DH, so be sure to practice retreating moves, as they allow you to get your sweetspotted Fair, defensive Nair retreats, and sneaky Bair finishers. Note that there seems to be a bug in the WiiU version when using a second stick, that if you hold both sticks on opposite directions in mid-air, it actually slows or completely ruins your momentum. I don't think it's too usable as a feature, so practice how to flick your right stick quick (that rhymed!). Just be careful not to flick too aggressively it can wear your comtroller much faster than normal, or you could hurt yourself!
Anything else to note on the console versions (besides puppy now being even cuter<3)?

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I'm unbelievably jealous of Americans right now, but my main question about the Wii U version is that is it easier to KO since you can just throw out a smash attack very quickly and unexpectedly with the c-stick? I know it won't have that much knockback compared to a charged smash attack, but I expect this to be quite easy to do.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
Now that we have he gamecube controller to use, all there is now is discovering possible advance techniques like a DACUS for DH. Sadly, I think the Wii U version doesn't have a DACUS, since it was removed from the 3DS version.

Spudboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
spudboy
The c-stick makes quick smash attacks much easier, but then that can be said about pretty much every character. I also find tilts much easier.

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
I'm unbelievably jealous of Americans right now, but my main question about the Wii U version is that is it easier to KO since you can just throw out a smash attack very quickly and unexpectedly with the c-stick? I know it won't have that much knockback compared to a charged smash attack, but I expect this to be quite easy to do.
I don't think it's necessarily easier to KO, but it is much easier to punish mistakes, given the amount of distance puppy's FSmash covers. I got plenty of powershielded KO's on For Glory for predictable approchches. But you know how finnicky his FSmash is, gotta hit it at the right angle or you just tickle them away since the 3rd hit doesn't happen. Reminds me of Wolf's FSmash in Brawl and PM.

Last edited:

WispBae

Tsundere Princess
NNID
The-Wispy
3DS FC
5343-7751-0954
Now that we have he gamecube controller to use, all there is now is discovering possible advance techniques like a DACUS for DH. Sadly, I think the Wii U version doesn't have a DACUS, since it was removed from the 3DS version.
DACUS is totally gone I believe, or at least harder to pull off. That's why I mention sliding into an Up-Smash. It's no Dacus, but still very useful. I've been practicing secondaries for puppy, with G&W, and sliding into a scuba helmet Up-Smash works wonders on people who don't land correctly, especially since it has armor on it

Spirst

No, DACUS is definitely gone.

I like the way Duck Hunt feels with a GC controller. Traps are easier to micromanage and SH dairs>uair is easier to execute. It's also great to be able to use smashes more reliably without it coming out as a tilt. I just wish his smashes themselves weren't so finnicky.

Top Bottom