• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Transhumansim

saviorslegacy

My avater is not a Sheik avatar.
For those who do not know what it is: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transhumanism

What are your opinions on this technology?
Personally, I am concerned. I am concerned because humanity is dabbling in a very dangerous technology. Some of the "big scares" over the technology is viruses from the animal kingdom becoming compatible with human DNA, rampant and uncontrollable cancer, sterilization, the breakdown of the human genome over generations and insanity.
Some of the hopeful advantages are full blown immunity to all diseases, enhanced cognitive ability, enhanced perception, increased life spans, increased agility and strength.

I am a pessimist when it comes to new ideas though. If I lived in the 1950's I am sure I would be worrying over nukes which turned out not to be that big of an issue. So maybe this is just the next step in humanities evolution. Then again, a super virus could emerge and kill pretty much everyone.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Wow long time no see!

I like the idea that one day we'll integrate technology with our bodies. You could almost say we're close to that now, medicine aside what with all he gadgets and gizmos we carry. It's only logical to assume one day our cell phones will be microchips in our palms.

saviorslegacy

Wow long time no see!

I like the idea that one day we'll integrate technology with our bodies. You could almost say we're close to that now, medicine aside what with all he gadgets and gizmos we carry. It's only logical to assume one day our cell phones will be microchips in our palms.
What's up bud?

I was actually leaning more towards genetic transhumanism when I made the OP, not synthetic transhumanism.

_Keno_

Smash Lord
I would be worried about the side-effects of such genetic tampering. Perhaps eagle vision seems cool, but the eye size and shape humans have causes incredible strain that leads to early blindness when modified for humans. Something to that effect.

Perhaps testing on other primates before the push to humans trials will greatly reduce this, but I can see strength, intelligence, vision, and other increased attributes potentially causing harm to the humans that are forced to have them through genetic modification.

Personally, I think it's immoral but important. I bounce back and forth between the immediate immorality and the future promise. Will it matter in 1000 years that some people had to suffer for the rest to gain? Not really, but it matters now.

saviorslegacy

I would be worried about the side-effects of such genetic tampering. Perhaps eagle vision seems cool, but the eye size and shape humans have causes incredible strain that leads to early blindness when modified for humans. Something to that effect.

Perhaps testing on other primates before the push to humans trials will greatly reduce this, but I can see strength, intelligence, vision, and other increased attributes potentially causing harm to the humans that are forced to have them through genetic modification.

Personally, I think it's immoral but important. I bounce back and forth between the immediate immorality and the future promise. Will it matter in 1000 years that some people had to suffer for the rest to gain? Not really, but it matters now.
Actually they have genetically modifying animals to carry the human genome so that they can conduct semi human trials.
From my understanding most if not all of these scientific trials ended with tumors and death.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
To start off
If I lived in the 1950's I am sure I would be worrying over nukes which turned out not to be that big of an issue.
Wat. Nukes are a pretty big problem I'd say.

For the transhumanism topic: I'm with you OP. Screwing around with peoples DNA like that is going to lead to some seriously bad results. I am not optimistic. Could I be wrong? Sure. But I don't get a good vibe from this at all. SOMETHING will go wrong.

grooveninja

Smash Rookie
NNID
groovekingjames
3DS FC
4098-6638-6423
Assuming that transhumanism would somehow be successful... I too am a pessimist as I believe there would be even more chaos. Especially if group of "transhumans" abuse their acquired abilities to... Yeah, conquer the world. -_- ; It may sound cliche but humans do have the tendency to abuse power. I can't point out any specifics as I am not well-read on the news today but some of my pessimistic instincts tell me that there are a greater number of those who abuse power than those who use it for the greater good.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
Yeah I'm with the OP with this. Tampering with DNA can be pretty chaotic and even if it worked there'd be people abusing their powers to harm people,rob banks, etc.

Top Bottom