• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training

Play other fighting games online to learn stuff like prediction. Its a fun way to improve on your own. It works best with less technical characters

pikablu

Smash Rookie
for tech skill I've been beating up a level 1 fox just so I have something to target my shffls at. if you want to get better at reading/threatening I haven't found a good way to do it that isn't playing other people. you could also try playing melee online via netplay if you have a good computer.

XLAX_OVERDOSAGE

Smash Apprentice
Visit your local scene's events and weeklies. The best way to improve and practice is by playing against people.

As for techskill, L-cancelling is good against 3 Lv1 ICs.
To practice teching, try Falco's target test stage, and jump towards the hurtboxes. Once you get hit, tech out of the walls and floors as soon as you hit the back wall.
Check out your character's forum for all the specifics on your character's related advanced techniques.

Above all techskill, practicing against people is vital to understand and analyze the metagame and matchups.

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Play other fighting games online to learn stuff like prediction. Its a fun way to improve on your own. It works best with less technical characters
This advice is not helpful at all, in my opinion. That's like telling someone to play football in order to get better at basketball.

Last edited:

Walbytamer11

Smash Apprentice
Practice tech skill, try and get in some knowledge. I live 30 minutes away from the nearest frickin' Wallmart so I feel your pain.

Luckily I started a local scene and my friend group has smashfests a few times a month, plus some local tournaments (which normally comprise of the friend group and a few randoms from the county).

I know you may not have the tools available but the 20XX hack pack and Dolphin Netplay (Melee online) might help you get the feel for the game a bit more...but it still can't compare with playing with guys in front of a CRT.

Also what ever you do, make sure you know where you stand. The only reason fighting a CPU would be considered SEMI viable is if you don't understand how the physics work (weights, trajectories, etc) in this game. Fighting CPUs may get you into habits that can be undermined by another human almost instantly. I know it's a bit extreme, but it's like perfecting the act of riding a tricycle only to realize that cars are exist and your 3 wheeler is completely useless.

ViVio

Smash Apprentice
This advice is not helpful at all, in my opinion. That's like telling someone to play football in order to get better at basketball.
imo it's more like telling someone to play football to get the stamina to play basketball. specific game skills (wavedashing, etc) won't translate to other fighting games but things like spacing and reading your opponent will. that's probably why the poster said it works best with less technical characters since they'll be focused on fundamentals rather than a game's tech stuff

Top Bottom