• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training for DK to be my main, what to do?

Moneyman228

Smash Cadet
I want to know how to increase the amount of good practice I get with level 9 CPUs. They are all idiots and thus are no where near as important as a good human player. But nonetheless, they do provide some practice. How can I optimize my training sessions as DK, here is an example of what kind of questions I'm asking:

What CPU should I fight, Fox? Marth?

Should I use handicaps?

Should I multi-man melee without taking advantage of CPU idiocy(e.g. spamming Roy's B move)?

What stage should I pick, FD? Battlefield? Kirby 64?

What should I practice against CPUs?

What should I keep in mind when fighting CPUs?

Any DK vs CPU tips would also be useful.

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
My first suggestion would be to pick a different character. I don't recommend DK, he's big and fat and dumb.

Second... L9s are only good practice if you aren't good enough to beat one. Once you get to that point, they are negative practice. Maybe playing against a team of two or three of them would be worthwhile, but I'm not speaking from experience.

If you want to work on tech skill, play against L1s. But even that is a waste of time if you can't get some human competition.

James Sparrow

Smash Master
use fox or falco or c falcon to practice chain grabs and up air combos, use captain falcon or ganon to practice sweet spotting your up b to ko.

Gea

Smash Master
Use level 1-7, not nine. Never handicaps. NEVER. Set your stages to the six random for starts (FD, Battlefield, FoD, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, Kanto) and learn how to shffl, wavedash/land, jc grab, what you should be doing to recover/on the edge, and what kind of moves you should be using.

Until you have better command of yourself try not to roll at all. Instead use your shield, jump, or wavedash.

Work on shffl'd uair combos starting with easy characters like bowser, then work your way up. Keep working at playing until you feel natural doing moves like uair juggles, edgeguarding, and jc grabs. When you do moves that you shouldn't, make a STRONG effort not to do them again. If you find yourself fairing alot, make a note of it and TRY TO STOP.

Playing against a CPU is tons different than a human.

MEXICAN

Smash Lord
There's almost no point in training against a computer...You might as well not play if you don't have a human to play against. A human that knows what they're doing that is..

playin against computers won't really teach you much except how to beat them in my opinion i think you should just compete in tournaments with DK and see how well you fare.

Top Bottom