• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Exercises

MASTER719

Smash Apprentice
What little training exercises do you like to do in Training Mode?

I like to have CPU walk while I stand still to practice tipper spacing, with percents set so that tippers kill and non-tippers don't.

Langston777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
langston777
i don't lab in smash4, there's nothing to do. i just fight real people and experiment there.

Vipermoon

King Marth's most trusted advisor.
Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
If I'm not in training for verification and learning purposes... so if the reason is to actually train I'll practice combos/follow-ups (jab 1, Utilt, Dtilt, DB, SB) and some "ATs" if you can go as far as calling Smash 4 stuff advanced

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
What little training exercises do you like to do in Training Mode?

I like to have CPU walk while I stand still to practice tipper spacing, with percents set so that tippers kill and non-tippers don't.
A few things you can work on are your movement (like dashdancing, foxtrots, pp's, SH's, SHAD's, pivot grabs, platform stuff, boost grabs, then combining some of these together), your move timing, as in stringing moves as close together as possible, combos (including grab combos, though Marth only has like 3), the ranges of all of Marth's moves, and your offstage game (how far out/down can you go with attacks, try gimping the cpu, etc.).

But yeah, for me I mainly do training mode in Smash to learn a characters movement and attack ranges and then get their combos and setups down. Then maybe I'll put the cpu on at certain percents to see if i can land the combo/setup in a fight on a moving target.

Last edited:

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
A few things you can work on are your movement (like dashdancing, foxtrots, pp's, SH's, SHAD's, pivot grabs, platform stuff, boost grabs, then combining some of these together), your move timing, as in stringing moves as close together as possible, combos (including grab combos, though Marth only has like 3), the ranges of all of Marth's moves, and your offstage game (how far out/down can you go with attacks, try gimping the cpu, etc.).

But yeah, for me I mainly do training mode in Smash to learn a characters movement and attack ranges and then get their combos and setups down. Then maybe I'll put the cpu on at certain percents to see if i can land the combo/setup in a fight on a moving target.
Thanks. You summed it up much better than me.

MASTER719

Smash Apprentice
SHAD? What platform stuff can Marth do besides just swording from beneath?

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
One thing he can do is SH SB as I mentioned in the shield breaking thread. His short hop is just high enough to reach shields that he doesn't have to commit to FH'ing and landing on the platform (Battlefield). This is good because they are expecting Uairs, Nairs, Utilts, Ftilts, and Fsmashes.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
SHAD = Short Hop Air Dodge.

When an opponent is on a platform above you in a neutral position a number of scenarios can occur:

In anticipation of you throwing out Up-Tilt, Up Air or Up-Smash, they shield or spotdodge (or roll if they're bad). You CAN just throw out an attack but the power of waiting is amazing in this scenario. They're in a bad spot here so sometimes if you know they are more likely to defect to a spotdodge or roll you can punish them for that easily. Sometimes, I will Fair/Bair on their shield for conditioning. Because later, if I think they think they're safest in their shield, I will act like I'm going to do an aerial but instead come up with a Shield Breaker. During the time they've been holding their shield in anticipation of an attack, they're shield has slightly atrophied in this period. This makes a Shield break almost a surefire thing if it hits. If they platform drop during this period, you can likely still hit them with Shield Breaker during this "trap". A shield break is definitely a sure thing if they're shield was already hit with an attack before hand (why they would sit in shield for that long is beyond me but people do dumb stuff on platforms all the time) and you land one on their shield.

Vipermoon

Switch FC
SW-3371-7457-0227
It's so easy to do dumb stuff on platforms lol. Shield Breaks on Smashville platform campers are the best too. I still can't believe sometimes the range you have with SB'er in the air.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Being above Marth in general is pretty bad for the opponent. On a platform just makes it even easier rofl. And yeah that small burst in his horizontal movement with SB throws people off a lot. Its awesome.

Last edited:

Admiral_Dante

Smash Apprentice
oh yeah, be sure to practice wavebouncing and b reversing breakers for sure, and precisely placing marth exactly where you want him when doing them.

A_Kae

Smash Ace
Being above Marth in general is pretty bad for the opponent. On a platform just makes it even easier rofl. And yeah that small burst in his horizontal movement with SB throws people off a lot. Its awesome.
Really, being above someone is just bad in general for smash.

As for my own training methods, I mainly try stuff out in for glory, and then verify in training mode. There's not much I feel that I need to practice, unless I've taken a long break from smash.

If that's the case, then I'll go to training mode and practice spacing and movement stuff.

Freelance Spy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Freelancespy87
3DS FC
4570-7985-7965
One thing he can do is SH SB as I mentioned in the shield breaking thread. His short hop is just high enough to reach shields that he doesn't have to commit to FH'ing and landing on the platform (Battlefield). This is good because they are expecting Uairs, Nairs, Utilts, Ftilts, and Fsmashes.
There's a shield breaker thread?

Top Bottom