• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Challenge: Shield Button OFF

Yangguizi

Smash Cadet
I received some comments at the last tournament that I went to that I tend to shield a bit too much. I decided to take the critique to heart and I changed my controller layout so that I have no shield button.

It took a little bit of time to get used to it but after I got the hang of it I found that my game really didnt seem to suffer much. I could still airdodge because the dodge buttons allow you to do that still.

It's a fun and interesting challenge. You have to find different ways to get around projectiles, and when you find yourself in a defensive situation you have to think on your feet.

My experience is that so far I have actually started to preform better than with the shield on. This little challenge has really shaken my out of my box, and is helping me break my current plateau.

I would love to hear what other people think of the challenge and what there experiences are with it.

Keeseman

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Keeseman
3DS FC
2251-4754-4791
Interesting... When playing Captain Falcon, I tend to use shield as an offensive as well as defensive tool, such as pressuring and baiting with run up to shield. However, this challenge could teach me to look for new ways to put on that kind of pressure/bait.

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well that's a bit extreme and I don't think you need to take shield completely off your mapping and you can do the same with a bit of discipline, but if that's the way for you to level up then it is a pretty good idea.

Don't forget to work on your shield game after that though ;o

Yangguizi

Smash Cadet
I could have left the shield button on but I figured I might as well go all the way.
I still intend to play with shield on in serious matches, but for now its a fun training challenge.

Pixel_

Smash Ace
I've done that before for about 3 matches to get rid of my rolling habit, and I think that's another use for it.
(also why is this in the :4falcon: thread)

Top Bottom