• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Training Alone

Ansem

Smash Cadet
What kinds of "workouts" do you do when you have no one to play with? Wifi sucks and you cant just sit and beat up cpus all day without getting bad habits.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
You can beat up CPUs without developing bad habits, problem is that it doesn't really help you improve (cause CPUs are dumb) except for like technical stuff.

BlueXenon

Smash Lord
NNID
Blueoceans26
3DS FC
3050-7832-9141
I brawl the level 3 snake cpu. I set it on 99 stocks (I usually quit after 20), and pick FD or any stage I want to improve on. I try to get snake offstage and hit him out of his recovery. I also try to do aerial combo's on him.

I find the CPUs still pretty good for doing stuff with. If you only play against the CPU, you won't really understand what it means to play against another player. Its only once you experience playing against other people you understand more of what goes on in a match and what to look for. When this happens you can more better specialize how to use the CPU.

To me, the biggest benefit with using the CPU is that you can practice more waiting and reacting to opponent rather than committ to some option. You could better work on powershielding projectiles since the CPU to some degree is a bit random.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
I am a huge advocate of playing against CPUs set to "Run" in training mode, especially if you have the stale move hacks for training mode :p

Heru

Smash Cadet
NNID
Herufin
Level 3 CPU / training mode for tech skill and theorycraft/videos for matchups. Also even though wifi is really laggy you can learn a lot from there.

BSP

Smash Legend
I'll back up the wifi recommendation. It's alright as long as you don't earnestly attempt to abuse lag. Even with latency though, you'll still get experience in the different settings of the game (i.e. neutral, long range, close combat, etc.), learn MUs if you play people that know what they're doing, and you'll have plenty of chances to work on selecting your best options in each given situation. It gets annoying sometimes, but it helps.

Demna

Smash Lord
3DS FC
1478-4225-1103
There are many techniques that you can practice alone. Such as B-reversal, wavebounce, chaingrab, tech/wall tech (using snake's C4), testing different string attacks and combos.

SilverSteel

Smash Rookie
Right now, my training is composed of wifi (I'm at least 2x as bad online as off), level 3 Snake juggling, and watching videos.

Wifi helps you learn the match ups and learn to read, but could hurt your speed and reaction. It can also completely **** up your timing for some combos, e.g. IC CG. (Plus, I get crazy frustrated when I get hit by stuff that I wouldn't get hit offline.)

Playing against CPUs can help your techs and follow ups. As long as you keep the opponent's options in mind, you can even improve your spacing. I might be a bit biased on computer training since I main MK, but I think you can benefit with other characters as long as long as you don't play something like Ganon.

Watching videos help me get closer to understanding what the pros do. It helps with learning match ups, options, and the mind game. Watching videos on characters that you don't play can also help, as you would understand those characters more, thereby helping your match up knowledge.

Lastly, playing offline can be very important ESPECIALLY if you play a character that needs high tech skills and muscle memory. Not practicing that tech skill enough could let you down during a match. (I've yet to become comfortable with my options and am currently working on shuttle loop gimicks near the ledge consistently.)

Top Bottom