• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Trailers. Entire Roster?

JPW

Smash Ace
I just remembered when Smash Bros. Melee was in it production days.

The only footage they ever showed of it was of the original roster. The Hidden characters were not shown in any of the trailers to my memory.

I'm just curious if they're doing this again. Maybe they have more then what we've seen. But they haven't shown these because they want them to be hidden. I'm talking about characters like Sonic, King Deedee, Diddy Kong, Geno, Fire Emblem picks, Samurai Goroh , Luigi, and so forth.
Sorry I'm not thinking clearly enough.

Think about if they showed us the entire roster in the trailers to come. Would we be happy?

What I really liked about Smash Bros. Is the suprise of the hidden characters. Seeing Marth and Roy show up. Despite my lack of Fire Emblem games, not only did Smash Bros. make me a fan but I was really impressed with their moves. Same with guys like Gannondorf and Falco it was awesome to see them join up. Well I wasn't really impressed with their movies but it was nice to see other franchises get a chance too. It really amazed me.

Let me push an example, of possibly the most wanted character of all.
Sonic. Sonic is definitely going to be a hidden. No way they're going to give him to us straight up. They would at least have some kind of a Mario Stunt for sure.
If they show him in a trailer, chances are we wont be suprised when we unlock him.
Whereas if they don't show him in a trailer we come to two conclusions.... :( or a :confused:
Imagine the shock on our face when we buy the game, and we unlock Sonic.
Of course it could still be ruined if we see Sega's name on the Smash Bros. Box.
But the boards would light up, and we'd be going.
"Yes he is in. Get the game now!!" "Isn't it so cool, have you unlocked Sonic yet?" "How do you unlock Sonic?
Of course all of that could be for nothing.
"Yeah they showed Sonic 6 months ago, so it's nothing fancy."

Would it be better announcing Sonic or would it be better leaving him as a question mark?

What do you guys reckon will they eventually show the entire roster through trailers or will they just show who we start off with again.

Tsukuyomi

Smash Journeyman
Good internet wasn't cheap back then and not a lot of people were too hyped about it... Now, we are just raving about it like how the Mayans pray to their gods and sacrificing their goats...

Devastlian

Smash Lord
Well, in this little translation thread of the Japanese site such things are touched on. Mr. Sakurai says that a 3rd party character such as Snake is more fitting as an unlockable character. He also says he may just reveal all the characters before the games release since, due to early shipments, leak copies, the game being released in one or more region before others etc., as soon as one person unlocks them they will be all over the internet. So unless you shut yourself off from the world, you'll probably see them somewhere eventually.

I, too, like the element of surprise but the legions of the intarwebs are against us.

They could very well show another new trailer with the final starting cast and maybe even release another bonus video-esque video.

givequicheachance

Smash Cadet
By the time I got Melee (on launch day) I'd already known about Marth and Game & Watch and all that because it had already come out in Japan.

I just wish they'd show us more of anything.

Icetrash

Smash Journeyman
Lol yeh especially that I live in Australia and we will probably get the game maybe 2 weeks after the US/Japan I'd already know all the characters anyway. So really for ME I'd like them to unveal all the characters on a trailor that way I can access it live with me still having a surprise.

But that of course is only for us Australians :)

JPW

Smash Ace
Lol yeh especially that I live in Australia and we will probably get the game maybe 2 weeks after the US/Japan I'd already know all the characters anyway. So really for ME I'd like them to unveal all the characters on a trailor that way I can access it live with me still having a surprise.

But that of course is only for us Australians :)
i'm with you there. I just hope as australians we get it sooner rather then later.

After all we have done pretty well for ourselves last year.

Australia, January 18, 2007 - It's often noted that Australia is a nation of inveterate gamblers, but the latest sales figures from the Interactive Entertainment Association of Australia (IEAA) prove once and for all that we're also a nation of gamers. And that's a badge to wear with pride.

Say it with us - 12.5 million. A big number, no? Well that's how many games were purchased in Australia during 2006. For a nation of close to 21 million, that's not bad. Not bad at all. Game industry sales as a whole - that's software and hardware - exceeded $925 million, a seven percent increase on the 2005 figures. According to independent market research group GfK Australia, this increase in sales was largely driven by a rise in hardware sales, which increased by 18% on the year before. GfK Senior Account Manager Daniel Morse commented that "The introduction of new systems to the market has undoubtedly driven sales with all formats performing really well throughout the year." Overall, hardware sales accounted for $329 million, while software accounted for $596 million.
I'm pretty sure most of them were possibly PS2 games. And probably the last few thousands were Wii games. After all 32,901 Wii's were sold at Oz launch, and 90% of Wii's sold the first game purchased was Zelda: TP

Metaknightvision

Smash Cadet
Just remember, even if you DID lock yourself away, and theres other third party characters such as Sonic for example, there will be a credit to Sega/Sonic team somewhere in the manual, box art or even when you load up the game, so you'll probably know about it before they are unlocked :p

D

Deleted member

I would never lock myself away. The excitement would be too much. Seriously, I ate so fast to rush back to my PC when Brawl was announced, that I burnt my mouth for over a month.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps a better question, to understand your own intentions, would be: If Sakurai released a new high-res 3 minute trailer tomorrow, announcing new gameplay details but also a few secret characters... would you watch it? Would you banish yourself from the boards to avoid the spoilers?

Personally, I would watch it. I wouldn't be able to avoid that kind of new footage of such a highly anticipated game. I'd rather quench some of my thirst for this game now than try to remain spoiler-free for another year. Since it's more or less impossible anyway, might as well not torture myself.

That being said, I'll try not to go out of my way to have the game spoiled. I just don't think it'll help either way.

Top Bottom