• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Traditional v. Technical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
There comes a time when we do stuff that is traditional. Not family-related trational, but basic-traditional. These kind of things are meant to build something such as character and responsibility

For example, something traditional would be a person using a broom. Cash such as coins and dollars is also traditional. Home phones are another basic item to have. Cooked foods

Then there's the technical stuff. This kind of stuff is suppose to either be meant for enjoyment, another option, or (as several movies quoted) "Making our lives easier." Vaccumes are suppose to make sweeping somewhat easier as it could pick up dusts and trash. Credit cards are meant as a second option for ecconomics. iPods and computers are meant for enjoyment.

There comes a time that when technology takes over traditional, it's possible that it doesn't help build that sort of skill to really live life, especially if electricity is disabled. There also comes a time when traditional takes over technical, the task at hand may become hard to almost impossible to complete.

Can society really balance these sort of things without it going too out of control? Discuss.

(This question was by Prem. Member Rockin)

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Oh, tradtional over technological. Well, there was a time when brooms and paper currency were the height of technology. You are talking about going back to wrestling your food to the ground and eating them raw versus buying food that was slaughtered and cooking it with spices, to use a more extreme example.

I don't see the point.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
Well, this is the point I made in this subject, if it helps at all:

I think that there are still some things in the world today that still use a "traditional." The Amish are one of those (religions?) that still mainly base their lives on traditional. Buggies, minimal electricity, use of fossil fuels, well, at least coal. The world is turning into a "technical" world however. iPods, laptops, VG systems, etc. Mainly everything we do, around at home mainly, involves some kind of electronic (TV, appliances, etc.). And what I notice with a technical world is that more and more people begin to get lazy. This is what may be causing the obesity pandemic. We just don't seem to want to do anything through a traditional way anymore.

BTW, this subject was from the VIP lounge.

snex

Smash Master
back before technology, instead of obesity pandemics, we had malnourishment pandemics, infant death rates in the double digits and uncontrollable plagues.

whatever floats your boat, i guess.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
That signature is one of my favorites.

I really have nothing else to say.

Teebs

Smash Champion
NNID
Teebs-kun
G4F:

I got a PM from Rockin about your post:

"Basically, in response to Gamer4Fire, I wasn't talking about going THAT traditional to the dinosaur times. I was talking about, in traditional time line as far back as...the 1900s where technology wasn't so big there. That we had horses, good home cooking, etc. Pretty much a basiccarefree lifstyle. Compared to now, yes, some of the things have improved, but there are those that's either hurting the environment or that it's getting too abusive."

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Basic, carefree? Are you kidding me? Having fifteen children with the hope that some would survive, working fifteen hours a day on a farm or in a factory, rampant disease. How is it carefree when every day is a struggle to survive to the next? Technology has made our lives carefree, then people create stuff to worry about.

D

Deleted member

If or when peak oil hits, a hell of a lot of people are going to be in for a huge shock.

You know, there are times when I absolutely cannot stand technology. Take, for example, the in flux of cell phones.

Before cell phones, if you and a friend had a plan to meet somewhere at 3 PM, you met there at 3 PM. Or if you couldn't make it, you would try your hardest to get to the person some how to tell them that you couldn't. Now that cell phones are so common, you can simply say,

"sorry I left you hangin', broseph. I tried to call your cell, no one picked up. My bad."

Sighduck. There's ads floating around my city that show a bunch of different communication options (cell phone, text, email, Facebook) and the caption says, "How do you break up? Tick one."

Um. How about in ****ing person. That is, if you have any decency at all.

There are also times when I adore technology. The scientific advancements we're making on space geeks me out hardcore.

It's a mixed bag.

Good thing I pirate all my media; I'd be really pissed if I had to keep upgrading every 3-4 years to another medium.

Gamer4Fire

PyroGamer
BRoomer
Please do not dodge the censors, they tend to get angry.

People are lazy, what else is new?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom