• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Toxic" Costume Palettes

NoiseRUs

Smash Rookie
Am I basic? I never really get raged at unless it's a spammer, so I don't think it's my gameplay. I just really like the colors.

:4mario: Nes Open Tournament Golf
:4luigi: WaLuigi
:4peach: Black and Gold
:4bowser: Pink hair (6th)
:4yoshi: Purple
:rosalina: Black and Gold
:4bowserjr: :4iggy: and :4roy:
:4wario: Pink biker
:4dk: Pink
:4diddy: Purple
:4gaw: GameBoy Light (Cyan)
:4littlemac: Green hoodie
:4link: Purple
:4zelda: Purple
:4sheik: Red White and Blue
:4ganondorf: Smurfendorf
:4tlink: Purple
:4samus: Light suit
:4zss: Metroid Fusion blue bikini
:4pit: Rainbow
:4palutena: Medusa
:4marth: White
:4myfriends: White and Blue
:4robinm: Blue
:4duckhunt: American Pit Bull Terrier (3rd)
:4kirby: Meta Knight
:4dedede: Green
:4metaknight: Pink
:4fox: Wolf
:4falco: Blue (3rd)
:4pikachu: Callum's hat
:4charizard: Golbat (Blue)
:4lucario: Purple (8th)
:4jigglypuff: Red bow
:4greninja: LickyLicky (Pink)
:4rob: Blue
:4ness: Master Belch
:4falcon: Pink
:4villager: Purple
:4olimar: Grey/Blue
:4wiifit: Green female
:4shulk: Riki (Yellow and Light Purple)
:4drmario: Unlicensed (Black)
:4darkpit: Purple
:4lucina: Tharja (Black and Gold)
:4pacman: Yellow wings and sleeves
:4megaman: Topspin (Black and Yellow)
:4sonic: Purple
:4mewtwo: Shadow Mewtwo
:4lucas: Baby Drago (Purple)
:4feroy: Pink
:4ryu: Black

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Not really "toxic, but" the two "shorts" alts of ZSS. When fighting those, I instantly assume I am fighting against a waifuist.

Last edited:

Phoenix502

Smash Ace
NNID
Phoenix502
3DS FC
4811-6967-8095
huh... so I'm not the only one who can't stand pink falcon...

most of the time, whenever I see a black ZSS/Sheik, they're usually what I call Flowchart players... or players with little to no improvisation when the chips are down. Pink Falcon's really the only pet peeve I have.

I only use Red F-Robin whenever I face Lucina and want to attempt using her special line ("How can you protect Chrom[...]", you know) I usually use inverted colors M-robin (costume 7), and despite my ZSS being a pocket, I often use Orange shorts cause I'm tired of black.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I usually find any black or default costumes (excluding default Pokémon bc I know a lot of people are just used to them) are dead giveaways that your opponent is likely to be an awful, salty player or a jerk, but I'm sure a lot of people think that too. I love me pink costumes though - I feel sometimes people judge me for that alongside my love of taunting (No double taunts though, ew, you don't double-dip, so why double taunt?).

Personal mentions time!:
Default:4bowserjr:: Huge red flag for me (Who doesn't have a favourite Koopaling they'd rather play, amirite?), but I've been against some decent BowJows, so I guess it's not too bad. But expect mechakoopas. -and recovery failure.
Default:4littlemac:: Basically the only costume of Mac's that raises a flag for me because I find most people who actually care about Mac will have a favourite costume that isn't default. Only really gets special mentions because it's all I seem to even see, and I've never come across a Mac player who wasn't Toxic, unfortunately.
Pink or Gold:4falcon:: I already don't really like Captain Falcon, but I just expect excessive taunting and general tryharding when these costumes show up. I take way too much glee in making players who use this costume ragequit, I'll be honest. Bonus points for the only pink costume I hate, congrats!
Purple "Bonzi":4dk:: Every time I see a purple donkey kong do that taunt twice in a row, I die a little inside.
White:4robinm:: I already think male Robin sucks kinda hard (Sorry m-Robin fans! F-Robin just has better voice clips!) but the white mage theme costume usually just throws me a huge tip that they probably won't use a single sword attack, will use Arcfire like its PK Fire, and will always charge to Thoron. Generally these people are just not fun to fight against, and are more likely sore losers than sore winners, but it still doesn't mean this costume doesn't annoy me a little.
Black "Dark" :4falco:: LAZER BEAMS. PEW PEW. I DON'T KNOW HOW TO PLAY FALCO, PEW.

I'll admit though, I love to be pleasantly surprised by players regarding this, and don't shy away from the "dark"/black costumes entirely myself. So while it's a slight first impression, it's usually totally rewritten by how my opponent starts a fight. -and regarding the flipside - good costumes, green or yellow for a lot of characters is usually a totally unused colour, so it usually makes me expect a good or atleast better than average player.

I think more than anything though the whole "toxic costume" thing is just down to players who have no originality. Of course, you have no idea if that Dark Toon Link you've just started a match against is gonna spam arrows at you and triple taunt on kill or if they genuinely like that costume and have put time and effort in as him, so... *shrug* PHhHHhHhbtbtbt...

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
For me about 80% of the people who use the Dark/Oni Link costume are usually jerk faces who are extremely cocky. Rather than saying "Oh hey ! Another Link player !" it's quickly turned into "Oh hey, another Link player..."
So my question to my fellow Smashboard members is what costumes do those "type" of people usually wear for the characters you play?
Excuse me? Really? I play as Dark Link all the time, as well as Purple and Yellow Links, does that make me a toxic player? Does almost never taunting and killing myself if my partner accidentally SD's make me a toxic player, just because I have the Dark Link alt? This is more against the last part of your comment than the first part, but really? The 'type'? Because of the Dark Link alt? For that matter all together..

Almost every :4link: I face uses the fierce deity costume, and I can confirm that every one that I play with that uses it is an *******.
This^ It's the Fierce Deity Links that would fit with what you were saying, not that I'm agreeing with you, but 'toxic' players that play Link tend to play that alt more, at least in my experience, and even then I've found some good Fierce Deity players.

oh and dark links get on my nerves too
I don't get this, but maybe you've had some bad experiences with players using that alt. Still a stereotype though.

I use the white color scheme for marth all the time, but i'm not like that.
Huh, I wonder why, maybe because it's a stereotype.

There's no way of knowing if the player is gonna be an ******* just by looking at their character's palette color. It's all pretty random.
Exactly.. this train of thought helps you to do nothing but typecast (sometimes falsely) someone before you even fight them. That's not helpful at all, and neither is it a nice state of mind to be in. But whatever floats your boat. Sigh.

Is this how sensitive people online have gotten now? Take offense with color pallets? Smh
I know, right? Sigh.

My point is, maybe an alt IS more popular with 'toxic' players, but does getting annoyed with seeing that alt help you in any way? You're not always right, for one thing, so you're making presumptions about your opponent before you even begin to fight, which is a bad idea in any fighting game. For instance, I could state this:
All Dark Pit mains are bad, toxic players who don't know how to and shouldn't be playing Smash.
Going off my previous experiences with Dark Pit players, this statement is largely accurate. Is it a stereotype, which really doesn't help me much at all? Yes to both clauses.
Secondly, I don't see how this increases your enjoyment of the game at all, in fact it seems to just lead to more salt.
I'm really not trying to offend anyone, just trying to see what your point in all this actually is. No, really, I don't get it. That's my take on it, that's all.

If you're just fooling around though, okay, whatever, have at it lol.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Excuse me? Really? I play as Dark Link all the time, as well as Purple and Yellow Links does that make me a toxic player?
Clearly if you read my post I said 80% not 100%. What does this mean? It means I don't find ALL players who use that alt Toxic. That goes for any other costume that everyone else has mentioned here.

It's obviously clear who's more sensitive when someone mentions a costume you use and you take offense to it. So what if people consider a palette you use toxic? Who cares.

Do you honestly think every palette mentioned here represents ALL the players who use them? Just think about that.

This thread is to share personal experience but it's blatantly obvious you didn't read any of the previous posts regarding that so

Let's give another round of applause for someone who missed the entire point of this thread ladies and gentleman.

Last edited:

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Let's give another round of applause for someone who missed the entire point of this thread ladies and gentleman
Or someone who missed the point of my post.. I'm really not trying to offend you, honestly, I'm just responding to what you said.
Which is this:
"If I see a Dark Link, I'll \probably\ assume they're \probably\ bad."
And I said:
"How does that help you?"
You haven't answered that.
That's all I'm saying.

And I read the entire thread, actually.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
Or someone who missed the point of my post.. I'm really not trying to offend you, honestly, I'm just responding to what you said.
Which is this:
"If I see a Dark Link, I'll \probably\ assume they're \probably\ bad."
And I said:
"How does that help you?"
You haven't answered that.
That's all I'm saying.

And I read the entire thread, actually.
Actions speak louder than words. If the player clearly knows what he's doing then it's obvious he doesn't fall into the stereotype of the typical "toxic"character palette.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
All right, I agree.

I think your point is how you feel about an alt and I'm just talking about how to win a smash battle, so I guess I'll just step out with my off-topicness.

Last edited:

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
All right, I agree.

I think your point is how you feel about an alt and I'm just talking about how to win a smash battle, so I guess I'll just step out with my off-topicness.
Glad to see we've come to an agreement.

I also apologize for my rudeness earlier (didn't see the bottom half of your original post till afterwards). I'm just getting really irritated with people who are making assumptions and taking this thread the wrong way.

A Very Nice Dishwasher

Smash Apprentice
Blue "Smurf" :4ganondorf:: Will almost always use too many Warlock Punches for "le disrespekt lol XD" and only use Dair offstage.
Red :4wario2:: Really loves his bike. So much, in fact, that he exclusively uses his bike throughout the entire match.
Pink :4pit:: Arrows, arrows everywhere.
"Dark" :4tlink:: ^^
:4roy:: UP B

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
Dark or evil color scheme for sure. So much edge. They may as well call it Super Edgy Bros.

I might be moody, but goddamn. I usually go for blue variations when I can, since it's my favorite color.

Last edited:

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
From my experience, Fierce Diety Link and Pink Falcon are the top toxic costumes. They just HAVE to pick this one if they play like dorks.

For :4zelda:, I guess that the White and Green are the toxic ones, especially white... But you don't encounter a lot of Zelda's.

Any :4wiremac:also seems to be toxic to me. Bonus point with wireframe hood.

:4samus: love her brown Dark Suit from Prime 2.

I don't have much trouble with the dark alts, by the way. I don't encounter them that much.

Of course, costumes do not mean anything. It's just tendencies. With a friend, we like to play Grandpadorf and Dark Link, and it's absolutely fine :awesome:

And I also play a lot Dark Zelda.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
There's no way of knowing if the player is gonna be an ******* just by looking at their character's palette color. It's all pretty random.
By far the best (and most rational) response to this thread so far.
I've been FGing extensively since Mewtwo's release, and toxic/bad players come in all pallettes.

El_Mariachi

Smash Journeyman
NNID
El_Marvinho
Definitely Pink Falcons. When I play this dude I know he's gonna go for random knees and stomps hoping he can put them in his crappy montage.

Elitist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-9559-1098
For me, the degenerate colors for reserve characters are as follows.

IKE: White/Chrom.
ROY: Gold.
DOCTOR MARIO: Black.
DIDDY KONG: All excluding the default.

the_muffin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
muffinduck01
For me, the degenerate colors for reserve characters are as follows.

IKE: White/Chrom.
ROY: Gold.
DOCTOR MARIO: Black.
DIDDY KONG: All excluding the default.
Strange, it's usually the black Ikes that are the degenerate ones in my experience.

Elitist

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1220-9559-1098
Strange, it's usually the black Ikes that are the degenerate ones in my experience.
Ike Is a pretty rare sight, all in all! (Strange, considering how great he is after the hitbox fixes. Really, he's as good as he was in Brawl, which is nothing to scoff at, with no more Meta Knight.) Chrom skinned Ikes always feel salty for not having their waifu included, or something.

Kneutronic

Lurker By Nature
3DS FC
2062-9725-8885
Switch FC
SW-1036-7436-7807
I'm pretty sure in all on my experiences on FG, I have never encountered any "toxic" palettes. Everybody was kinda varied in skill level and their palettes were all pretty different.

Top Bottom