• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourneys in North Carolina, Raliegh/Durham

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Hey,
Are there any tourneys currently being held in this area? I know of several players like myself that would be extremely interested in participating in or possible organizing a Melee Tourney. If you know of any locations or helpful info., or if you like the idea of a tourney being put together post a reply!
~frozenghost

Y

Yeroc

Hmm. We just had a couple tourneys in Raleigh about a month ago and a month before that. Sadly, I don't know when I'm gonna have another unless I find some more income. However, if anyone else is interested in doing one, I'd be more than willing to give advice on choosing settings and such, plus I'd probably be there. How many people do you have in your crew man, and where are you guys at? I know one other competitive player around here, his friends, and 3 more decent players that I went to high school with who are currently at NC State. Plus guys there have small smashfests in the dorm lounges every so often and they would probably be interested too. Let me know what's up man, and maybe we can plan something out. Peace dude.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Dude you dont need cash to host a tourney... just dont buy food and stuff for everyone. But anyway someone should shoot for the 3rd or last week of oct for a tourney. Theres seems to be some newz people couple that with the olds are it should be a decent turnout

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Ok guys, glad to hear from some players In the area! We've only got a few players in my crew, though I might be able to round up a few more players. One of my friends has an apartment out by NCSU, and he's also a smash player(possible location). Were currently trying to work something out, but I think we might try to put something together late october. So if your SERIOUS about showing up, post a reply and feel free to give some input on how you prefer the tourney be run. Off the top of my head I'm thinking low item appearance, random stage selection, and 5 dollar entry fee which will go into the pot, probably 80% 1st and 20% second. So post a reply and if we feel we've got enough interested people, we'll start working on something!
lata,
~frozenghost

Alakazam4

Smash Rookie
Tourney

I would be all for this tournament. I've never been in a tournament before and really want some good competition :(

I attend the North Carolina School of Science and Math, so if it's possible, try to schedule the tourney on some off-school days. :cool:

By the way, where in NC do you guys live? We might be able to meet for some Smash outside of tourneys.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
yeah thats cool

$5- 80% 1st, 20% 2nd
items on low,-ban a few
all stages cept great bay, hyrule, and yoshi 64
best of 3, loser picks board or new character
double elimination
random or agreed on first stage

do a team tourney 2, same rules ta on

Anyway yeah id come, just make it on the weekend, sat or sunday

Youd probably get 8 or so people from past tourneys too

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
The two possible locations are: Durham, by southpoint (only about 15 minutes away from the school of science and math) or In Raliegh close to ncsu. Naturally we'll make the decision based on whats convenient for everyone. And we'll definately be excluding some stages. And hey, we dont have to wait for a tourney to get some smash goin if your in the area!
~thefrozenghost

Half Life

Smash Cadet
I'll try to come to this one, really I will, and might be able to actually make it this time, because dont have to deal with moving, and my brother can drive. =)

So we might come, that or I might just come alone. I'll probably be alot younger then everyone but ohwell...

Also if you could host it by NCState or where Yeroc hosted all of his it would help alot, durahm is a little bit far...

Alakazam4

Smash Rookie
Nice

Hey, yeah, Southpoint is actually about 30 min away. Raleigh would probably be okay too, just not during a school or other inconvenient day or else I'll be gypped.

Again, would anyone be willing to divulge their general vicinity even? This way we could, as FG said, get Smash going without a tourney. For anyone that could come to Science and Math, we can probably play sometime.

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Setting a date

Ok guys, I think we've got a definate location at NC state. Were thinkin early november, probably a saturday afternoon for all you guys in school. Let me know whats good for you guys!!!! And anyone in the area who's wanting to just get together to play some smash send me a private message when I'm online. Aight?
Aight. Later.
~frozenghost

jv3x3

Smash Champion
frozen, sounds good n yeah ill play in teams 2. just dont make it over thanksgiving.

Alakazam4, not in the area sorry

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
OK. We've discussed the tourney in detail now, and want to make it happen October 25 or November 5th. Yes, these are saturdays. We've only got an apartment availiable currently. Let me know if you think you might come, how many you'll bring, and any suggestions since this is the first tourney I've ever hosted for smash. So I'm gonna need some help getting it running so lemme know how it usually works. Fo shizzle. thanks!
~FG

Y

Yeroc

Err, the 5th is a Wednesday. Were you thinking of the 1st or the 8th?

And as for rules, KNOB rules worked well, and GRITS in Atlanta is borrowing from us, so I'll let you know how stuff worked in Atlanta when we get back from there on Saturday. You might want to check their set out. I can't remember it all.

Alakazam4

Smash Rookie
Tourney

Huh, well, if the tournament is at NC State, I'll still try to make it. It just might be a little more difficult to do. Count me in for now though.

F

FangOfTheRabbit

I live in tiny little Ashe County in the middle of nowhere, but am lucky enough to have a youth center that has tournies every weekend. If your in the area drop a line, but I doubt it.

jv3x3

Smash Champion
1st sounds good, but whatever is best for everyone

Also these Ashe tourneys every weekend. Are there prizes/entry fee or just more casual? How many people are usually there? Also, whats the zip code there? I cant find it on mapquest

F

FangOfTheRabbit

Probably not enough for you to go a distance for. There's only been two tournies so far where money was actually awarded and usually it ranges anywhere from 9-15 players just playing for fun. Good for tightenning up skills though, a few are very good, me being a middle class and my friend Adam winning nearly every game (with link).

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Im not in Raleigh, im a couple hours away so it might not be too bad of a drive. Whats the zip there? So its not a pot every tourney? Do you know which ones are and arent ahead of time? The ones that have pots approx. what does first usually get for winning?

Thanks

P.S. If its not too far ill probably go anyway hoping to check it out

F

FangOfTheRabbit

I think It was $20 for the winner but don't quote me on that. The place has a tournament of some sort every week, be it pool, air hockey, shuffleboard, and the occasional smash bros or soul caliber. The winner of each tournament gets an amount of "points" and at the end of a period of time gets $100 or more. Your asking the uninformed though, so I'll check nextr weekend and ask about a new smash tourny. Be great to see a new face on the scene though. Keep in mind you must be under 18 to be let in (but they don't ID or check anybody 9/10 of the time).

F

FangOfTheRabbit

Oh yeah, the zip is 28694. by the way, where exactly are you from?

F

FangOfTheRabbit

No entry fee.....the place is run by the county if that helps/doesn't...

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Were still on for late october early november. Promise. So how did those rules work Yerok? If they worked out we'll most likely use something very similar. Were kinda wanting to set the entry fee higher than five though, just to ensure a fat pot.
~FG

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Originally posted by frozenghost
Were still on for late october early november. Promise. So how did those rules work Yerok? If they worked out we'll most likely use something very similar. Were kinda wanting to set the entry fee higher than five though, just to ensure a fat pot.
~FG
Rules worked, i like. You should run the same rules, except take off corneria (sp?). And yeah higher than 5 buck entry sounds good 2 me. Bigger pots make for better tourneys

Fang, thanks for the info, but theres the whole age thing and its far from me (2+ hours). But maybe next time you go you can mention this place and maybe some of those people can make it out to raleigh for the tourney

Y

Yeroc

Well I was in the middle of making my post when I saw that jv's had been added to the list at the same time, so....what he said.

You just want Corneria off cause it messes up your Falco!

:p jk, I saw Dave's 9 minute match, so it's not a good stage for no items. The other seven are fine tho, so that's good.

Half Life

Smash Cadet
Early and late on the 25th arent gonna work for me... I have practice at 9 for baseball but I cant figure out if its AM or PM... I'll have to check the ohter dates

Y

Yeroc

Hey, just bumping the topic, seeing if you guys have figured out the date yet.

Half Life

Smash Cadet
I dont think 25 is gonna work good for me, go for one of the novemeber dates if you can, seeing as we probably need more time to figure out what rules where going by and whos bringning what. Unless you got the TV's and gamecubes taken care of already.

Half Life

Smash Cadet
Hey, this tourneys coming up soon, what are the rules, and where exactly is the appartment and when is it being held?

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Still on

I apologize for leaving you guys hanging for so long, but the tourney is definately still on. My friends apartment (located at melrose place for you NCSU residents) is still the location were looking at. Unfortunately I haven't been able to set a date for sure yet because he's been in New Orleans on some PRSSA trip but when he gets back I'll make him commit to a date, or I'll simply move the tourney to my house in Durham. We'll be using the GRITS rules since everybody seemed to like them and I'll edit my original thread with all the definate info. when it becomes availiable. Expect early nov. still for the date. I'll keep posting updates every few days from now on to keep you guys in the loop. Late!
~FG

Half Life

Smash Cadet
In durahm I cant make it... try to get the one at ncstate if you can durahms a little... uhh far for me

jv3x3

Smash Champion
Yo, what all is going on with this and who all is still planning on coming? Someone should tryn get ahold of the MC bros, x sam, and other people that came to past ones....

Highjeenx

Smash Apprentice
Interested...

Yeah, this is my first post on here but I couldnt pass up on this topic...Hopefully the tourney hasnt already comenced, If I could talk my peoples into coming I could bring around three people...I live in the Gastonia region so I dont know about getting there...If you could give some Deffinate Information get in touch-AIM-Spakul

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
Guys, were still debating a date. It looks like theres a strong possiblity it may be in durham, but only a few miles from I-40. My friends kinda pissed hes been getting murdered by me lately, so he's showing some disintrest and just pouting around(he's french,what do you expect).So maybe mid-november, sorry its getting pushed, but I've been extremely busy and are working on planning a trip to London in late november, so I've had little time for smashboards. I still want this to happen so keep checking back!
~FG

Y

Yeroc

Little bump for this thing for Darkshine's sake

If this doesn't get worked out soon, I'm just going to throw another tourney at my apartment in North Raleigh. Probably first of the month, soon after Thanksgiving. Darkshine will be in town by then, so we'll have another player around. Let me know what everyone's good for. If I hear no word by Thurday, the 14th, I'll make the topic for Knob 5.

As for possibly going to Durham, I might could do that (wow, what awesome grammar), but we'll see how it goes.

Oh, and High, you and Twig and jv could possibly all trek up here together. JV knows how to get to my place (I think, if not tell me now and I'll make sure you get the info)

Edit:
MIAs - McCent, McMoney, (and Warren I guess), Xine
Possible deserters - xSAM, his friends at State (**** SC2 players)

frozenghost

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry I've been pushing this back guys. I'm straight broke and the guy who said it was cool to use his apartment has backed out on me because of some new internship. My sincerest apologies. Yeroc, we would definately be able to make it to your tourney if its not nov.23 through dec.3 because I'll be in Europe.....seems like I've been playing way more online stuff than smash, seems like xbox live is taking over.
~fg

Y

Yeroc

I'm looking at December 6th as a good day for Knob 5. Anyone got any rule prefs? JV, help me remember the rules. I was thinking of going GRITS set, but would anyone be interested in some experimentation? I was gonna have some various ruleset discussion before making the topic. One thing I've always wanted to try was an items tourney (although I'm scared that I might lose to Steve if I do), so we can play more of the stages. Any input on this one is welcome.

CahPhoenix

Smash Journeyman
Wass up

Hey, just wanted to say that I'd be wanting to come to an N.C. tourney if possible. December 6th would probably be just perfect for me too :)

Anyways, maybe you could have a no items and items tourney? Or, have a dual ruleset tourney. You would have to have a fair amount of t.v.'s (I'd say 6 for about 30 ppl). You could have say 4 matches a set. 2 items and 2 no items. If a tie, person with less lives lost gets to pick items or no items in final match(or slob picked final match, whatever). Or just have a regular tourney with slob picks being able to pick between a standard set of items or no items at all.

Hope you got all that lol....looks incoherent to me, but I'm tired. If you don't get what I'm trying to say and would like to understand just IM me or something(cahphoenix). Otherwise I'll just go back to being a proud attendee of KNOB 5. Can't wait.

Top Bottom