• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tourney Rule: Who gets to pick character first

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
I think everyone should get to pick their own character completely randomly without any knowledge of what the other person is going to pick. I think thats a lot better than the situation it is now.

Arguments?

Ilex

Smash Ace
It would make sense if the winner of the last match chose their character first, and the loser chose theirs accordingly. It'll vary according to the tournament, of course.

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
The first pick of the match is double blind. If you actually want to use this rule because you distrust your opponent or something, you can get someone to mediate the character selection, although I've never personally seen someone actually want to do that.

petrie911

Smash Journeyman
IIRC, those ARE the tourney rules, pretty much. Double Blind picks may be requested for the first match, and afterwards, the loser picks the stage, then the winner his character, then the loser his.

EDIT: Blast you, SP, and your ability to post the same thing moments before me.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
I think everyone should get to pick their own character completely randomly without any knowledge of what the other person is going to pick. I think thats a lot better than the situation it is now.

Arguments?
That's how it's done already. You always have the option to call for a "double blind", where you and your opponent tell other (trustworthy) players what character you're going to use, so you can't change your mind if your opponent chooses a bad match up for you.

Though it's almost never completely blind, as you could just watch the person play friendlies or ask around to find out what character(s) they play.

Crow!

Smash Lord
I think this rule should be at the center of the "infinite grabs" debate. If, for instance, even the best DK mainers find a game's results are predetermined by which character they go up against and whether they chose thier primary or their secondary character, then a particular tournament's method of enforcing the character selection rules would become more important to the DK player than the actual skills of the players at the tournament.

When character selection becomes a game of rock, scissors, paper for the current game's win.. that is when I say some intervention is necessary.

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
When character selection becomes a game of rock, scissors, paper for the current game's win.. that is when I say some intervention is necessary.
Umm... this is how it's always been in Competitive fighters. Most characters have at least one bad matchup. This is why a lot of people play more than one character.

And when both players play more than one character, it really does become a game of rock-scissor-paper.

Top Bottom