• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Streaming

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Hello everybody. This thread will discuss how to stream at a tournament and how to get everything setup. If you want to talk more about streaming equipment go to this thread. But I'll put all of the equipment and more on this thread.

Equipment
Now I'm going to guess that you already have a CRT and a Gamecube/Wii. So you'll need a capture card or video grabber, splitters, composite cords. So you'll need 3 splitters and 2 composite cords, And what you'll do it set it up so you put the red, yellow and white cords on the bottom of the splitter. then put the composite cords to match the color: red on red, rellow on yellow etc. now put the other side of the cord into your capture card or video grabber. This should work if you installed the drivers and everything correctly. Now get the other composite cord and match it once again. Now this will plug into your T.V. Now you're all set you can stream on your computer and play it on your T.V at the same time.

Streaming Software
The internet has a lot of streaming software but I'll show you guys the best for PC and Mac.

Now for tournaments you want to set it up like: Setup 1, 2, 3 are for tournament matches and setup 4 is for streaming. So just tell people like "your match is on stream" or "your playing on stream".

Commentators
For commentators you want them close to the computer your streaming too so you can connect the mics. Now for microphones you can use headsets or just one microphone that they both talk through.

Player Cams and Commentators Cam
You can buy 2 and use only one for player cams and have then on the same screen or just edit it so it looks like you have 2 but it's up to you. And the other one is simple just use it for commentators. Here's the webcam.

Overlay
It would help if you get an nice overlay on your stream but you don't have too. A basic overlay is the game and player cams with logos and sponsors etc.

This is it I'll update the thread for mistakes and just other things that I want to change. And you guys can ask me questions and I'll answer it :). And i'll add images on a later time.

Streaming Panel

You can use this to edit scores on stream.

OBS Upload Speed
You can use this to find your upload speed settings for good streaming for OBS

Last edited:
3DS FC
0232-8353-5670
Thanks for posting this! Exactly what I've been looking for. A couple of questions from someone pretty new to this,

1. Do I need ana adapter to be able to stream from a CRTV using the Elgato capture card? It looks like the Elgato does not have the right connections alone.

2. What additional eqipment (if any) would I need for an HDTV when playing on a Wii U?

Last edited:

DeepDish

Smash Apprentice
Hey Michael, I've heard that there's something called "stream manager" that helps with changing player names and scores during the stream. Any idea what this is all about?

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Thanks for posting this! Exactly what I've been looking for. A couple of questions from someone pretty new to this,

1. Do I need ana adapter to be able to stream from a CRTV using the Elgato capture card? It looks like the Elgato does not have the right connections alone.

2. What additional eqipment (if any) would I need for an HDTV when playing on a Wii U?
A1. Your Elgato should come with a composite spiltter adapter so you would do what the thread insuctions but use the Elagtos and plug it in through s video. If you need more info on it this video can help you out.

A2. I think all you need is an 2 HDMI cables and the USB to Mini USB that came with the Elagto. You can see how they are plugged in and how they work on this video if you need it.

Last edited:

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
Just wanted to say, thanks for this thread! I've been planning on running a tourney, but I wasn't quite sure how to set up my capture card. Now I know exactly what to do.

Meru

Smash Cadet
Hey so I was wondering about the monoprice video grabber -
What is the difference between this and say, a dazzle (which seems to be most common)? Is there a lot of missing functionality through the monoprice, or is it harder to use? I wanted to start streaming, so I was planning on doing what you said - getting 2 composite cables, 3 splitters, and a monoprice. I have a CRT, wii, laptop, and headset. Is this all the hardware I'll need to set up a reasonable stream?

MrJeff

Smash Cadet
No mention of the Avermedia LGP? I've had good luck with that. As I recall, I wasn't sure my computer was good enough for Elgato, but it is for LGP.

OathToAwesome

Smash Cadet
If I want to stream Smash 4, would I need an HDMI splitter? What is a good model of that to use?

MrJeff

Smash Cadet
I can't speak for other devices, but with the LGP, there is an HDMI in and out. It captures the feeds and encoded it before transferring it to PC, but the actual video is passed right through to the TV.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Hey so I was wondering about the monoprice video grabber -
What is the difference between this and say, a dazzle (which seems to be most common)? Is there a lot of missing functionality through the monoprice, or is it harder to use? I wanted to start streaming, so I was planning on doing what you said - getting 2 composite cables, 3 splitters, and a monoprice. I have a CRT, wii, laptop, and headset. Is this all the hardware I'll need to set up a reasonable stream?
The monoprice is pretty cheap and not high in quailty but it gets the job done all though i suggest you use a dazzle if you have one. But if you want a cheap capture card that is good you should get monoprice it's what i use. For hardware as long as your laptop can run video well it should be fine. And good upload speed is good too.

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
If I want to stream Smash 4, would I need an HDMI splitter? What is a good model of that to use?
For smash 4 if you have an elagto and 2 HDMI cables you can just plug one in on each side and put one in your Wii U and the other into the elgato and then use the mini usb that came with it. There is a post up in this thread talking more about this and a video if you need it. But if you don't have an elgato and 2 HDMI cables you can stream it just like melee with a composite cable. Make sure you change the wii u video setting to non-hdmi.

P.S

I would put the video on this post but i'm on my phone but I'll make sure to add it when i'm on a computer.

Last edited:

Meru

Smash Cadet
Just wondering, what does "not high in quality" mean exactly? like overall, or the video quality isn't that great or whatever? As long as it can go to 480 im fine - though if it's only 18 dollars (instead of like 60-70 for a dazzle), I can stand 360 as well.

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
Just wondering, what does "not high in quality" mean exactly? like overall, or the video quality isn't that great or whatever? As long as it can go to 480 im fine - though if it's only 18 dollars (instead of like 60-70 for a dazzle), I can stand 360 as well.
360-540. And I what I was saying was it's not HD.

Last edited:

trash?

witty/pretty
Premium
NNID
????
something to keep in mind if you live in like most of america's landmass (most of MW, any rural/county areas), your internet connection when streaming your local is almost definitely going to be poor. OBS has a guide that will help you on this, that can also work with any other streaming software of your choice, since it's really just about making a bunch of calculations for an optimal stream.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/low-upload-speed-how-to-find-the-right-settings.185/

this is super-important, because newbie streamers will always have a stream that either looks like total piss, or stutters and drops frames constantly. please, for the love of god, work with this guide.

Last edited:

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
something to keep in mind if you live in like most of america's landmass (most of MW, any rural/county areas), your internet connection when streaming your local is almost definitely going to be poor. OBS has a guide that will help you on this, that can also work with any other streaming software of your choice, since it's really just about making a bunch of calculations for an optimal stream.

https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/low-upload-speed-how-to-find-the-right-settings.185/

this is super-important, because newbie streamers will always have a stream that either looks like total piss, or stutters and drops frames constantly. please, for the love of god, work with this guide.
Oh my b i forgot to put that in.

Captain Keigo

Smash Rookie
So I have an LCD. To stream melee, all I need are 2 composite cables, 3 splitters, and 1 monoprice video grabber(no elgato)? Is that everything I need to be able to stream melee?

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
ok so what do you have the commentators watching the match on??? or are they the ones that have the pc in front of them???

Mikkelmann

Mentally Untouchable
So I have an LCD. To stream melee, all I need are 2 composite cables, 3 splitters, and 1 monoprice video grabber(no elgato)? Is that everything I need to be able to stream melee?
Yes.
Hey, those links in Streaming Panel are broken.
Is there another link to those?
I'll fix it right away.
ok so what do you have the commentators watching the match on??? or are they the ones that have the pc in front of them???
They watch it on the computer yes. Through your broadcasting software.

Last edited:

El viejo Yil

Smash Rookie
NNID
El.viejo.Yil
How does the commentators have the 2 microphones pluged in the computer if it has only one microphone in? They use a 3.5 splitter to plug both?
Btw, nice guide man, this is what i've been searching for so long, thanks.

d-man2292

Smash Apprentice
NNID
d-man2292
How does the commentators have the 2 microphones pluged in the computer if it has only one microphone in? They use a 3.5 splitter to plug both?
Btw, nice guide man, this is what i've been searching for so long, thanks.
i was thinking that too, because you can plug 2 headsets up via usb but the OBS software will only use 1 source for the mic so probably have to use the headphone input with a splitter so you can have 2 headsets at once

Dr.Pick

Smash Rookie
So for smash summit, they display the bracket and it looks dark a beautiful, how would I do that for steaming my tournaments, or was that made by the summit people

Top Bottom