• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tournament Rules: Super Smash Bros 64

Vote and comment if required by the selection. Do not waste your vote, or comment some gibberish.

• I agree completely with this focused, concise and competitive ruleset.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I have a mixed opinion, I disagree or agree with some parts, but will explain in a comment below.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • I disagree entirely or with most of this, and will comment below.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I don`t have an opinion, really; I just want the best experience, just decide for me. Thanks!

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Studstill

Smash Ace
Game Settings
System: Console or 60FPS Emulator
Mode: STOCK
Stocks: 5
Team Attack: ON
Stage Select: ON
Damage: 100%
Item Switch: NONE
Handicap: OFF

Stages

Hyrule, Dreamland, Sector Z, Congo Jungle, Peach`s Castle

Matches

All Finals and Semi-Finals are a best of 5 set.
All other matches are best of 3.
All Characters Available

Stage and Character Picking
  • The two players flip a coin; the winner of which chooses to select the stage and his/her character or passes this decision to the opponent. Then the other player selects his/her character. The match is played.

• The defeated player chooses the next stage and her/his character or passes this decision to the opponent. Then the other player selects his/her character. Repeat this step as many times as necessary.
  • For teams, one player from each side is involved with the coin toss. The winner of the coin toss/loser of a match picks the stage and his her character. Then the other team selects their characters, then the remaining player selects his/her character.
Rules

• Selecting the Dark Color for DK, Samus, or Falcon on Congo Jungle is banned. The match is restarted if this manages to occur.
  • Any Stage, and any Items may be allowed only if both players agree.
  • Pausing is not allowed except in case of emergency. If the game must be paused, wait until immediately after a character has died.
  • The player is responsible for having his/her own controller and adapter or other accessories.
  • Using programmable controllers (including but not limited to macros or rapid fire) is banned.
  • Extreme stalling or otherwise disruptive, abusive, or non-sportsmanlike gameplay or conduct is banned.
  • The players must arrive within 5 minutes of a match being called, or both players are disqualified. If only one player has arrived within 5 minutes, the first match is forfeited to him/her. If the player still has not arrived within another 5 minutes of the match being called, he/she forfeits the entire set.

Any and all of these rules are subject to Tournament Organizer approval. Violations reported to the TO will result in the specified penalty, or can include:
  • Warning.
  • Loss of one or more Stocks.
  • Loss of Match or Set.
  • Ejection from the Tournament or Venue.

That`s it!
General advice for TO`s, such as advance planning and announcement, how to follow the law, whether to do brackets or pools or how to seed etc, is really is up to number of entrants and TO discretion anyway and doesn`t belong in the Rules. The stage striking is pointlessly complex. If "disruptive, abusive, or non-sportsman-like conduct is banned" is not strongly worded enough for you, then get some professional help.
Edit: If I liked your post below and you disagreed, that means I changed something. This should be a living document, in as far as reasonable points are made. In this case:
The stock variance line was included to aid the TO, which is counter to the slimming down of the rules. Also, the rules already acknowledge the ultimate power of the TO, so "Change Stocks on player agreement" has been removed. Thank you for your input!

Last edited:

Vale

Smash Ace
  • Extreme stalling or otherwise disruptive, abusive, or non-sportsmanlike gameplay or conduct is banned.

Play to win. I might agree with here is "disruptive/abusive" if you mean it in an out-of-game conduct, such as touching the opponent's controller in the middle of a match.

Shears

Smash Master
I agree with most of it. The coin flip idea is interesting for picking the first stage, but in my opinion, stage striking is the best way to go with the coin flip being used to determine who strikes first. In addition, you forgot to include the presence of a timer. The timer would exist in the rules as an option available to any player wishing for it to be implemented for the match.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
-Dislike stage selection, especially Sector Z. It is a very large stage which leads to extremely long matches, plus the arwing has way too much effect on the outcome of a game. Also not a fan of Hyrule, but that topic has been talked to death about 4 times already, not going to go for a 5th lol. I would prefer Dreamland only, and if not that then Dreamland/congo/peach's

-Allowing players to change stock count is a logistics issue. 7 stock matches will take longer to finish, and will cause tournaments to go past the allotted time. Could work if there was a timer in place either for each game or for the entire set, but in general players increasing stock count presents problems. We already have trouble finishing tournaments on time, we don't need more reasons to slow down tourneys.

-Neither player should choose the first stage outright. I think dreamland first stage is the best option, and stage striking would be the next best option.

-Stalling is hard to enforce because it's generally a two way street. Unless one person is actively running away non-stop it's usually just 2 players that are both scared to approach.

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
Game Settings

Stages

Hyrule, Dreamland, Sector Z, Congo Jungle, Peach`s Castle
Disagree with hyrule and sector Z because at the highest level of playing to win they are not only competitively unviable but tournament unviable as matches can take way too long. I don't even have to mention the big influences that random factors like arwings and tornados can create because the match length alone is a huge factor (will explain later).

• The two players flip a coin; the winner of which chooses to select the stage and his/her character or passes this decision to the opponent. Then the other player selects his/her character. The match is played.
Interesting. Never thought of using a coin flip to determine who picks first stage and then offsetting the advantage of picking a stage with having to pick a character first. However in my opinion picking stage first is not nearly as much an advantage as getting the counterpick, so I think people would just win the coinflip and force their opponents to pick their character first.

I'm against this simply because I don't believe that someone should be able to counterpick someone's character on the first game.

• The defeated player chooses the next stage and her/his character or passes this decision to the opponent. Then the other player selects his/her character. Repeat this step as many times as necessary.
So basically it's like the loser automatically wins the coin flip from the first game. It's fine that he gets the decision and most people would probably go for the counterpick, but I don't believe this is very fair for the guy who just lost. Allowing the winner of the previous game to either pick the stage or get the counterpick is barely an advantage for the guy who just lost. I prefer the current counterpick ruleset.

• Any Stock count of 3-7, any Stage, and any Items may be allowed only if both players agree.
I am against being able to choose different numbers of stocks because it would create different standards between different sets and a whole load of other problems. The stocks should simply be either 4 or 5 (it has to be one throughout the whole tournament), otherwise players could play with more stocks and make tournaments take longer than they need to.

The items rule is basically gentleman's rule and that is already in place so basically no issues.

• Pausing is not allowed except in case of emergency. If the game must be paused, wait until immediately after a character has died.
I don't believe that anyone should ever be allowed to pause without punishment, whether on purpose or not. I see no reason to change the current pause ruleset, which also allows the opponent to let a pause fly if he doesn't feel it's that important.

• The player is responsible for having his/her own controller and adapter or other accessories.
This is probably more tournament specific but I think it should be enforced for larger tournaments but it usually isn't a problem in smaller tournaments where players need to borrow controllers.

Just like the current stalling rule in place, I believe it's an incredibly pointless rule to have or needs to be reworded. The act of "stalling" in fighting games refers to doing actions that literally extend the length of the match without anyone being able to do anything. This is mostly taken as a rule from other fighting games where players could do exploits that literally remove their character from the game/stage and prevent the opponent from being able to do anything to win. Some examples are the guile handcuffs in sf2 or metaknight infinite cape where the opponent literally can't do anything to the opponent if the glitch occurs.

As far as I know no such thing really exists in ssb64 but the problem is that everyone associates stalling with camping/keep away. There are a lot of negative connotations with camping and keep away in smash but they are legitimate strategies. The main difference is that every other fighting game has a timer that allows players with a health advantage to camp and play keep away to eventually win by timer (which is still very hard to do). However, in smash 64 there is no such thing up this point as a timer so the only goal of keep away and camping is to provoke your opponent into approaching you or to eventually have the chance to approach from an advantageous position. There is no real reason for legitimate stalling (NOT camping/keep away) in ssb64 due to no timer, so it's very unlikely that anyone would do so in tournament.

This problem includes stages. In the current legal stages in the apex ruleset (let's pretend Kongo Jungle doesn't exist for a second as this stage is debatable), stalling is not viable in the slightest by simply running away. Constantly running away and camping in any of these stages gives the opponent an advantage by giving them stage control and more and better options to approach with. This is the main reason that stages like sector Z and hyrule are banned, since not only is stalling viable by simply running away with faster characters, but as a side problem they create side scenarios where the best option for both players is to not approach and they end up in a stalemate that could last a really long time.

tl;dr - I think both this and the current stalling rule are pointless and unenforceable and should be reworded to better represent the original purpose of the rule. I'm talking to you nintendude/chain ace/sensei

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
list of points

1. system is moot. if you're playing at a console event, you use n64s. online event, you use emulator. no mixing.
2. i'm fine with DL only or DL/congo/peach's. sector z is too huge and problematic, and we've discussed hyrule.
3. i'm a proponent of the WS, WF, GF, LQ, LS, LF sets all being best of 5. this is top8. if time is an issue, then top 4 should be best of 5 (WF, LS, LF, GF). for straight bracket. if we have to sit through bracket pools again, then top 4 in the pool should be best of 5.
4. pairing counterpicks is problematic. winning the coinflip is essentially getting the counterpick - you did not work to earn it (which is why winning game 1 in a bo3 set is important, because you then get the cp for the deciding match). further, if you lose game 1, and have the option to pick stage and character first, your opponent can just cp the matchup. if you make him pick stage and character, you're giving him too much power, and taking away from your own cp. it's good the way it is.
5. stock count must be kept constant throughout the tournament or you can get skewed results; likewise, if you have random sets as bo5 or bo7. that isn't fair to other players. but if it's gentleman's ruled, and someone wants to play a 7 stock, i guess there's not much you can do except talk about time constraints, if any.
6. match calling is a sticky area. if you're playing another game, you shouldn't be dq'd. commentating, same thing. if you tell the TO ahead of time you're grabbing food, you shouldn't get eliminated. these kinds of things are easily avoided and should be handled on an individual basis.

lastly,
The stage striking is pointlessly complex
i don't see how

jim: i don't want to play on dreamland
bob: i don't want to play on peach's castle
*they play on congo jungle*

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
yo 7 stocks would be exhausting as ****

no way jose

lol you have someone give me a back massage while i play and we have a deal

god dammit i love back massages

Top 5 fav things in life:

smash bros
nature/animals
chocolate molten lava cakes from chilis
disney movies
happy old people

KeroKeroppi

Smash Champion
Warning Received
lol i was gonna include them but then i was like wait

there are definitely 5 things in life better than back massages

they're undoubtably in the top 10 tho

Shears

Smash Master
Where people say that its "already been discussed" or "everyone knows" they are telling you that they have given evidence and fully expressed their stance in a previous thread and so have several others, and that your discussion on that matter is repetitive. If you're asking them to dig through the forums and pull up everything they said and logically put it together in the form of a thesis paper, then there is going to be a dilemma. Most people don't have the time or interest to spend hours compiling the thread data, and many would say it is up to you to read through the threads and prove their existing points wrong instead of them having to find their existing points and use them to counter the suggestions you have made. The arguments have been made and many of these points have been discussed and it was incredibly exhausting and a burden for everyone and they don't want to do it all over again when there is an entire thread to do it for them. This is also why people bring up their years of competitive tournament experience, because some things you won't observe playing casually or see it from the right perspective, and after years of doing it everyone has come to conclusions that x, y, and z need to be added or removed. Its one of these things that you have to try it and be a part of it to understand, and if that sounds like bull**** think of it like doing LSD, the experience isn't something someone can just describe to you and you can know what it does and why and everything about it, you have to try it to really understand what happens. In that respect, you can't just read threads and disagree because your experiences haven't shown what everyone else is stating since you haven't been having the experience everyone else has, they're saying when you go to tournaments for 6 years, you'll see just how right they always were. In addition, its not like 10 years ago someone said dreamland only and everyone hopped on board blindly and its been that way ever since. It used to be everything was legal and people kept playing and found items needed to go. Then they played for years and years in tournaments and people started exploiting stages and the hazards were too much so they slowly started eliminating stages like zebes, sector z, yoshis, etc.. Several years have been put into this game competitively and the ruleset you are arguing against hasn't been around for long and the ruleset you're proposing is very similar to a ruleset that existed years ago, but that ruleset is gone because it was tried and tested and found to not work, so through years of trial and error we have come to the current ruleset. Its not like this is a cult and everyone wishing to join has to go through the ritual to blindly accept the current ruleset, but 10 years of trial and error and arguments and threads are not going to be relived because one person doesn't get why and its not fair those 10 years happened without them. It is now up to that person to either do it all on their own, use their intellectual capacity to really sit down and see why it is the way it is and read through everything, or just give up and blindly accept it and understand that there has been tons of work put in by truly invested people and they probably came up with a ruleset that works for everyone after spending half their life working on it. Do your ruleset for 10 years with thousands of people all over the country, you'll find that sector z needs to go, artificial timers need to be added, and the ruleset were looking at now is really the best we've had so far.

Stage striking is not convoluted or complex, it takes seconds and its the same seconds that would be had with a coin flip and character selection and one person picking a stage.

Timers aren't for getting the tournament to move along or keep things in check to help a TO, timers are to get matches to move along. A tournament app, TOs, etc. are only going to make sure matches are being played as soon as possible and their aren't empty tvs. That isn't the problem with tournaments running long, the problem is matches aren't 4 minutes, they're 10 minutes and the matches are taking forever and that is because people camp and the game doesn't move on and thats where a timer is used. Its great to think matches should be long and glorious, but a tournament can't run if they are, so a timer is needed to control the game. Again, this has been discussed, there is a thread, read it and understand it.

There is a big difference in simulating tournaments with a couple people online, or simulating them in your head, and actually having one with people traveling from all over the world to play. Actually TO these tournaments for 10 years and see what you come up with. I'll bet the ruleset you end up with is similar to the one that we have now.

My ruleset:

Game Settings

Stages

Dreamland, Congo Jungle, Peach`s Castle

Matches

All Finals and Semi-Finals are a best of 5 set.
All other matches are best of 3.
All Characters Available

Stage and Character Picking
  • Both players pick their first character using double blind. A coin is flipped and the winner strikes a stage or can forfeit that right to the other player and have them strike a stage. Then the player that hasn't striked, strikes a stage, and the players play on the remaining stage.
  • For a couterpick, the loser selects stage, the winner selects character, the loser selects character
  • For teams the same rules apply with one member of each team acting as the team representative
Rules

• Selecting the Dark Color for DK, Samus, or Falcon on Congo Jungle is banned. The match is restarted.
  • Any Stage, and any Items may be allowed only if both players agree.
  • Pausing is not allowed and is punishable by a stock. In the case of an emergency, a stock is still taken, but everyone is allowed to feel bad and sympathize with the person losing their stock.
  • Using programmable controllers (including but not limited to macros or rapid fire) is banned.
  • Games are held to an 10 minute timer. Acceptable timers are gameshark or a stop watch placed around the tv for both players to see.
  • The players must arrive within 5 minutes of a match being called, or both players are disqualified. If only one player has arrived within 5 minutes, the first match is forfeited to him/her. If the player still has not arrived within another 5 minutes of the match being called, he/she forfeits the entire set.

Any and all of these rules are subject to Tournament Organizer approval. Violations reported to the TO will result in the specified penalty, or can include:
  • Warning.
  • Loss of one or more Stocks.
  • Loss of Match or Set.
  • Ejection from the Tournament or Venue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Studstill

Smash Ace
Goddammit. LOL
Me <3 Kero. The future King of Smash.
Until Stranded gets it together......
2045 is gonna be a great year for 64.

Last edited:

Herbert Von Karajan

Smash Lord
They should be long. And glorious. As long and glorious as possible. These are monthlies, and big events to a lot of people, and you all are spoiled in the NA East and somehow view these things as "too long" and want to modify the STAGES to accomodate your apparent desire to get in and out. Thank you.
Sthap

VENUES HAVE A SET TIME LIMIT

YOU WILL GET KICKED OUT BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT IS FINISHED

or you won't be allowed back to that venue cause you misrepresent the time it takes to use their facilities, and no facility owner wants to stick around till 3 am

I have been to tournaments where it went over the allotted time and we got kicked out.

Please justify why large stages are bad, in the context of them being large, i.e how it affects gameplay, not match length.
Yeah your absolute refusal to consider match length to be an issue makes you look... well... "you will forever be a smash apprentice"

I`m aware I`m new to Zenith and Apex, but I am not new to tournaments
You have literally only been to one real ssb tournament with good players. Its a shame that it was probably one of the most well-run tournaments for ssb64 on the east coast DUE MOSTLY TO THE RULESET, because you didn't get to experience the real fiasco of going over the allotted time for a venue. I went to a doubles tournament yesterday, with large stages legal. 6 teams. The tournament took 5 hours. We went 3 hours past the closing time of the venue. Luckly I know the venue owner and we didnt get kicked out. If you feel like investing ~30K into a business, buying property, and letting smash players play as long as they like for free, then do it. Dont expect others to cater to you.

If you think Arwings or Tornadoes have an incredibly detrimental and random effect on matches ESPECIALLY at the highest levels of play, please provide any evidence of that.
http://youtu.be/PJEPllJpbrA?t=13m14s

Tornado randomly speeds up and kills boom. THE TORNADO HAS KILLED BOOMS PIKA MORE TIMES THAN YOU EVER WILL ROFL

The idea that this isn`t needed coming out of your mouth ASTONISHES ME, as I have borne witness to you, with 0% damage and a 3-1 stock lead, refuse to leave the top platform of Hyrule, in order to attack your opponent, who had 118% damage on their last life. There is no valid defense, 'competitive' 'defensive''play to win' 'highlevel' NONE AT ALL, that justifies that behavior.
The behavior is justified. When it comes to "stalling", the player who is behind must approach. If you did not approach him while he was up there, a YOU would get DQ'd. Its clear you lack understanding of how to actually win. Also, the situation is not a problem on Dreamland. See, fireblaster does know how to win, which is why he was up 3 stocks and you only had one at 118%. But in your own little world you still think you are a better player lol

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
Basically your ruleset is very similar to an older ruleset that was used by the community and places like sector z and more recently hyrule just didn't work for tournaments so they have since been removed. You can play them in friendlies and many people will, but they aren't viable tournament stages mainly due to time constraints since matches on these stages are limitless. Instead of allowing items and other things to permit these stages and make them camp proof, its easier and much more neutral to just ban them in tournament settings.

Hazards that randomly appear and can kill a player without them being able to avoid it or prepare for it are bad because it randomly gives one player an advantage. Winning is just beating your opponent by even the slimmest of margins, and assuming the better player always wins, if a stage hazard comes in and kills you that slimmest of margins no longer applies since you are now an entire stock behind and now you have to be even better than you are which is impossible and the winner is no longer the better player. Stage hazards can effectively make the game to be player A gets to start with 5 stocks but player B has to start with 4. That is not fair at all. The three stages that are widely agreed upon as being tournament legal stages do not have random hazards that cannot be prepared for. Arwings are random and can be off screen and kill you. Tornados are random and can be off screen and kill you. Bumpers and wedges are always moving in the same pattern and never change so they are predictable and they do not kill. The barrell is always moving in the same pattern and never changes so it is predictable and it does not kill.

These fundamental ideas of neutrality, fairness, and timeliness are what make some stages tournament legal and other stages not.

The only other thing with your ruleset that differs from the current one is stage and character selection. Its an interesting way of doing so but I feel having 3 stages, both pick characters, and then stage striking is the fairest and best way to do it. With your way you can begin on a stage that is most favorable to another player while the worst stage for someone else. Then in the counterpick the other player gets to pick the stage so this is even right? No, because on the next counterpick it is back in favor of the person winning the coin flip and now the whole match was in favor of one person over the other, there is no neutrality here. Quantifying it with numbers it would look like this: +1, -1, +1 where +1 is in favor of player A and -1 is in favor of player B so the yield is +1, or in favor of player A. In stage striking, both players get to get rid of a stage that is the least favorable to them, meaning the remaining stage may not be their best one, but it is at least not their worst one and we have reached a stage to begin with that is fair and agreed upon by both players. The winner of game 1 was not at an advantage and won because they were better in that match unlike your method, the winner could have won because the stage was much in their favor. In the counterpicking if the game 1 winner loses game 2, the set is for a moment in favor of the game 1 loser because the stages have been neutral (game 1) and in favor of the loser (game 2), but this is immediately balanced since game 3 is then picked by the game 2 loser (or game 1 winner) so we end up having the stage order look like this: 0, -1, +1 with a yield of 0, or neutral and fair to both.

All possibilities with your ruleset:

Player A wins 2-0 and won coin flip
+1 -1 = 0 : fair. A wins because A is better
Player A wins 2-1 and won coin flip
+1 -1 +1 = +1 : in favor of player A. A wins because ruleset gave them advantage
Player A wins 2-0 and lost coin flip
-1 -1 = -2 : in favor of player B (player B really sucks). A wins because A is a lot better (despite losing, -2 is way too one sided to be fair)
Player A wins 2-1 and lost coin flip
-1 -1 +1 = -1 or -1 +1 -1 = -1: in favor of player B (player B still sucks just not as much because they won once out of two tries in their favor). A wins because A is better but could've won earlier had the ruleset not been in favor of player B

*All other possible set outcomes are don't cares because they can be represented in the above sets through substitution

All possibilities with my ruleset:

Player A wins 2-0
0 -1 = -1 : in favor of player B but A still won because A is better
Player A wins 2-1
0 -1 +1 = 0 : fair. A wins because A is better

*All other possible set outcomes are don't cares because they can be represented in the above sets through substitution

In my ruleset there is never an outcome determined by ruleset favorability or exploit unlike your ruleset. There is a possibility where stages were in favor of a player, but that player is never the winner and its better to have a player win at a disadvantage than win at an advantage. A coin flip brings even randomness to help determine who goes first and I like that in deciding who strikes a stage first, but a substantial thing like what stage will be played on is too much to leave to chance.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord
You know, Studstill, I like to think that I've given you the most respect in these "debates". Every single time that you've tried to argue against the current ruleset, I've tried to respond in an accurate a way as possible with post lengths that have surpassed almost everyone else's. I've made sure to not only attack just the arguments, but to avoid as much as possible to refer to me or you in any argument and simply address the argument at hand.

I've broken down cases to either something very logical that should be countered with another equally logical statement, or something that has extensive tournament data to back it up. Everyone else in this thread has done this to respond to your posts as well. In both cases you've resorted to attacking the argument with logical fallacies. You start replying and responding to each point with:
  • oh this is just GIBBERISH
  • what a load of crap
  • if you feel otherwise, go write a book about it
  • Your response is half assed
  • No one knows what the hell you are talking about

And these aren't all the fallacies you made, only the personal attacks (i.e. Ad hominem). I'm not even going to address all the other points you made, fallacies or not, because I just don't care anymore. I don't care to make any more lenghty posts because almost every single time you either:
  • ignore it and repost your argument in another thread
  • dismiss my points with phrases like the above list
  • dismiss them by asking for a bunch of evidence for every single thing I say even when you have provided no evidence for your own opposing statements
  • Completely deny my points by replacing my definitions, which I usually take from other more credible sources, and you replace them with your own without giving any reasons why your definition is more correct (e.g. Your entire rant up there about stalling and extreme stalling)
I'm tired of doing this and getting the same response every time. No longer wasting my time by responding to your arguments.

Last edited:

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
Where people say that its "already been discussed" or "everyone knows" they are telling you that they have given evidence and fully expressed their stance in a previous thread and so have several others, and that your discussion on that matter is repetitive. If you're asking them to dig through the forums and pull up everything they said and logically put it together in the form of a thesis paper, then there is going to be a dilemma. Most people don't have the time or interest to spend hours compiling the thread data, and many would say it is up to you to read through the threads and prove their existing points wrong instead of them having to find their existing points and use them to counter the suggestions you have made. The arguments have been made and many of these points have been discussed and it was incredibly exhausting and a burden for everyone and they don't want to do it all over again when there is an entire thread to do it for them.
this is exactly what i mean. i'm not gonna repeat myself ad nauseum just cuz studstill doesn't want to give his own reasoning as to why huge is better, why hyrule should stay, and how sector z is a viable stage for tournaments.

Sthap

VENUES HAVE A SET TIME LIMIT

YOU WILL GET KICKED OUT BEFORE THE TOURNAMENT IS FINISHED
you should really listen to this, studstill

red bank rumble 2013 went until 3am. apex 2014 went over to 12.30am the first night. smashacre gluttony went until midnight and they threatened to shut the power off and kick us all out. didn't that MTL tourney take 9 hours for 12 people? the last Toronto tourney went over by 3 hours. i was at a bar tourney that ran until 3am and the owner was flipping out.

if you permit and encourage matches to take 10-15 minutes each, you're going to get thrown out of the venue, and that would be an awful experience for the players.

oh, and about systems - you don't play on console for online events, and you don't play on emulator for console events. this is not up for debate.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
A 6 person tournament in Maryland took over 3 hours with just Dreamland, Congo, and Peachs with no timer implemented. There was no delay or wait for matches to start, no bathroom breaks (I wasn't allowed to leave my seat for WF, LF, or GF because the 30 second bathroom break would be too long), no food, nothing and it still took over 3 hours just based on the time it took for matches to be played. Match length is a huge concern, with large stages and no timer, tournaments will never end. With the implementation of a timer, matches on medium/small stages will end appropriately, but on large stages will end in timeouts without much smashing actually happening. In both scenarios, large stages are unacceptable for tournament settings. These are not opinions, these are facts. This has all been tested extensively, it has been tried, and it hasn't worked. The current ruleset wasn't randomly stumbled upon, it was designed and formed and molded into what it is by trial and error for over a decade. You are not the first person to suggest items and large stages, you are not the first person to try and change the community rules. This has all been done before and it always comes back to what it is now. 2 years ago I had a tournament at Virginia Tech, clubba came down for it, and other than our HD tvs, the ruleset was very much like the one you are proposing because at the time that was an acceptable ruleset, and after a couple years of trying it out, it hasn't worked and it has been improved to what we have now. This isn't what we agree with to fit in, this isn't what we agree with because we're sheeple, this is what we agree with because empirically this is the best ruleset so far. If empiricism isn't acceptable evidence or logical and neutral guidelines for forming rules isn't supportive, then these discussions can't continue. We're not asking you to agree with us because we're a senate and in charge and dictators of the game, we're just giving you a heads up that when you play this game for years with thousands of people across the country in competitive environments with lots of money on the line, you will end up agreeing with us anyway but with your own personal and empirical perspective.

10assimilateorelsechars

Cobrevolution

Smash Master
willing to bet he mentions that time i called the backroom something like a senate voting on things

also, TO's generally have different rules around the country, and i like the variation. ie, chain ace had peach's banned for a long time, then hyrule back, then banned again. he's done DL only, starter DL, and stage striking.

as it stands, though, i think Apex and Zenith rulesets are the most important to be discussed. and still, i think formatting is more important than rulesets in both cases.

clubbadubba

Smash Master
CLUBBA"Dislike stage selection, especially Sector Z. It is a very large stage which leads to extremely long matches, plus the arwing has way too much effect on the outcome of a game. Also not a fan of Hyrule, but that topic has been talked to death about 4 times already, not going to go for a 5th lol. I would prefer Dreamland only, and if not that then Dreamland/congo/peach's" - Clubba
This sounds more like your personal preference: "dislike" shouldn`t factor into it, but to address it as an argument:
Please justify why large stages are bad, in the context of them being large, i.e how it affects gameplay, not match length.

Please provide some evidence that Arwings are not more or less as detrimental as the other stage hazards. There is a lot of hazard demonizing, without reason.

The only actual data I`ve seen on Tournament Match length was from mixa, and with over 400 matches it shows an average increase of 1 minute. Period. This is not even close to a legitimate grievance against Hyrule, or Sector Z. Again, I fail to understand the desire for quick matches. It runs counter to the depthful gameplay that SSB64 provides. Personally, I think it is a disgrace that the game has essentially been crippled down to one tiny stage, with 3 tiny platforms crowding it. SSB64 has so much more than DL.
-Every ruleset is someones personal preference. The rulesets most used at tournaments are rulesets that more or less align with the personal preferences of the players involved. I could've said "stage selection section is bad" instead of "dislike stage selection", but it felt to mean

-unfortunately match length is an extremely legitimate concern. people have already touched on it, but venues don't stay open forever. If tournament says it takes place from 10-5, its unfair to expect players to stay later to finish the tournament. We are real people with real **** to do.

-all stage hazards are bad for competitive play. They take the game out of the competitors hands. Some stage hazards are even somewhat predictable, but even if the hazards are 100% deterministic you are still dealing with %'s. Player A could knock player B up and then B gets blasted to death by the arwing. player B could knock player A up in the exact same way for the next stock, but this time the arwing isn't there to kill A. That's unfair. Both players worked just as hard to pop the other player up, but only one was rewarded due to a stage hazard.

People don't fly across the country and even from other countries to get shot by a spaceship. They do it to test their minds against other smashers.

Unfortunately all stages in 64 have some sort of hazard. The best we can do is get rid of the really super ****ty ones. Starting with ones that can actually kill, and do kill consistently. Arwing and nadoes are right up their in this category, and that's why they are unacceptable. Dreamland wind can kill, and aid recoveries (or even edgeguards in some lulzy scenarios), but its nowhere near as bad as the other 2 in terms of frequency or impact.

-1 min per game is pretty significant when you consider it is a 25% increase in time. You may not consider it a legitimate grievance, but that sounds like your personal opinion. Logistically, it is a legitimate reason. It adds up over a big tournament.

-Neither player should choose the first stage outright. I think dreamland first stage is the best option, and stage striking would be the next best option.

The game is amazing. It certainly does not need the level of attempted 'balancing' that the community at large has somehow agreed to.
Sounds like a personal opinion

In that a tournament should give players the best opportunities to highlight their particular skills, in teh vein that we all play at different levels and preferences, and demanding that a certain stage be played at any point in time, much less first, is an imposed alteration on the game. Removal of 'hazards' is another alteration of the game, as is the addition of this paper-rockish mindgame ridiculousness. The coin flip 'idea' is simply the convential way I`ve observed these things being determined across a variety of competitive environments. I agree with it`s fairness. It`s just to pick the stage and character. I challenge you all who advocate for this complex back and forth system justify why the game needs this added layer of external strategy. This is not an ordinary fighter, its one of the most balanced games of all time, both in character and stage, which further boggles me as to why this artificial "counterpicking" scheme was ever introduced.
-Alteration does not equal bad.

-Wrestling has a very similar system. 3 rounds, 1st of which starts in neutral, 2nd of which is wrestler A's choice of top or bottom, 3rd of which is wrestler B's choice of top or bottom. Double blind picks to start is essentially like any sport where you throw your starting lineup out there against their lineup, and neither of you know who's starting on the other team when you decide. These are common themes in competitive play. The other valid option besides counterpicking would be to just do double blind all the way through the match. I realllly don't like double blind, so I prefer the counterpicking.

pidgezero_one

((((((((((( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) gotta go fast!
NNID
pidgezero_one
3DS FC
3222-5601-4071
as a brawl player i am both pleased and perplexed at all this nado hate

Shears and I have almost completed our custom SSB64 tournament software. This will GREATLY assist TO`s, players, and the flow of the tournament in general by simply texting the match location and time directly to the player. This will free up the TO, who should have at least one dedicated assistant anyway, to be more closely involved in match obsevation, problem solving, and general tournament management.
say word? sorry for the bad post but this is greatly relevant to my interests

i added hyrule back at my last tournament and didnt see any crazy increase in overall set time, but it was also only my 2nd tournament so ¯\(¯u¯)/¯

the last Toronto tourney went over by 3 hours.
i feel like i should chime in here with another useless post: the tournament went 3 hours overtime because i only booked it for 6 hours, including a 2 hour registration period, expecting like 10 people to show up which was par for the course back in 2012 when our last tournaments had happened.

this weekend i booked it for a more realistic 10 hours, got a bigger attendance than in april, ran 5 events instead of 3, and we were still only half an hour late - and hyrule was legal this time but not in april

i agree with your point overall but april was kind of a freak accident, in a good way

(Edit:we also only had 6 setups per tournament. really need ppl to bring their carts like yesterday)

Last edited:

asianaussie

Smash Hero
Studstill, you should stop writing off other peoples' posts as 'opinion' or personal belief, especially ones where you have the passive-aggressive subtext of implying others have no respect for other players at the tournament. It's rather detrimental to your position and falls right into the 'appeal to emotion' fallacy that I'm sure has been brought up already. Also, please stop asking for 'evidence'. You are making unreasonable requests of a small community that has done many fairly successful things based on theory. This is not because we want to, it is because we lack the tournament data to do so. It is an unfair request and isn't one that warrants years of experimental ruleset trials to satisfy.

You two are Smash 64 players, no? Just like everyone else. You have what, 6-8 years of 'tourney experience' between you; this grants no expert status or special objectivity. Defend your points on their merit and quit telling everyone else "how it is."Also, why do you all sound so negative? If you can`t be bothered to "sit through" another players match, then go home. This is the most ridiculous aspect of the "matches should be short" argument. I don`t understand it. They should be long. And glorious. As long and glorious as possible. These are monthlies, and big events to a lot of people, and you all are spoiled in the NA East and somehow view these things as "too long" and want to modify the STAGES to accomodate your apparent desire to get in and out. Thank you.
We live in a real world governed by deadlines and time limits, and 'Smash Bros is glorious' is not a reason to facilitate matches going forever. This does not please venue owners. This does not please security detail. And most importantly, this does not please anyone who has to play games the next day, especially if bracket is on a different day to pools. This is fine for friendlies, but people who hold up a bracket and are still fine within the confines of a ruleset are really quite a problem, because at best you will be penalising them by subjective judgement, and that in itself is very objectionable.

The problematic thing is that there is no reason to actually condemn the player's behaviour. The ruleset allows for this situation, and it is indeed the situation where they are most likely to gain a winning position, so you cannot justify penalising the player for playing by the ruleset. In that vein, the ruleset needs to change, and if it makes matches go at a reasonable pace, we can omit Hyrule, Saffron, Sector Z and Yoshi's Island. It is far too hard and far too questionable to allow any given TO authority to decide who to disqualify, especially because there is no way to implement an objective timing system. I say this as someone who never advocated banning Hyrule for any reason other than logistics, and as someone who continues to play as many friendlies on Hyrule as he can.

Staying in a safe position under the ship's fin leads to a stalemate, where one player has a definite advantage over the other. This leads to undesirable gameplay with poor quality of interactions due to reduction in number of options on one player's side (if not both). And, no matter how much you want to ignore it, match length is an issue that needs addressing, for many practical reasons, some of which are detailed in the thread already.

Please provide some evidence that Arwings are not more or less as detrimental as the other stage hazards. There is a lot of hazard demonizing, without reason.
There is no evidence needed. Hazards are generally random. Arwings have a strong attack that may cause death in a scenario where death would not have happened, had the Arwing not been present. Any factor that is both random and significant enough to influence the outcome of a match, no matter how statistically improbable, is undesirable. Being able to play around random things is not a skill that compares to being able to outplay your opponent in a match with no significant random elements. We are not playing Mario Party, we are playing a fighting game. This is the same reason nobody plays with items in a competitive setting.

The only actual data I`ve seen on Tournament Match length was from mixa, and with over 400 matches it shows an average increase of 1 minute. Period. This is not even close to a legitimate grievance against Hyrule, or Sector Z. Again, I fail to understand the desire for quick matches. It runs counter to the depthful gameplay that SSB64 provides. Personally, I think it is a disgrace that the game has essentially been crippled down to one tiny stage, with 3 tiny platforms crowding it. SSB64 has so much more than DL.
As much as I want to herald this data as a reason to play Hyrule, I know that the vast majority of matches on Hyrule will be between people who do not know how to properly camp, do not want to properly camp, or who believe that an offensive strategy is better. The data is flawed and of a small sample size. Your claim of 'depthful' gameplay does absolutely nothing for the notion of long matches being better. Shorter matches can show depth. Twelve minutes of Isai and Gerson feeling each other out with U-Airs is not clearly more representative of depth than a three minute Falcon ditto on Dreamland.

Please explain why in actual terms. If you think Arwings or Tornadoes have an incredibly detrimental and random effect on matches ESPECIALLY at the highest levels of play, please provide any evidence of that. PErsonally, I have very rarely been caught "unawares" by a stage hazard, at since you play very well I find it hard to believe you can demonstrate the effects on that you claim hazards ahve on the game. Again, why they are DETRIMENTAL, being 'random' alone is not a reason to strip game content.
The rest of this is a big pile of gibberish, but I`m going to parse it out so you can see exactly what I mean re: using empty phrases instead of merit based reason and logic. The community deserves better than you halfassing a response form a false authoritative postiion. If you made the argument previous, jsut quote or link will suffice.
Well, I can see why people left the argument. This is an unreasonable request that uses unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence in the same paragraph as a demand for objective sourced evidence. Labelling arguments 'empty' and calling someone's position 'false' is no way to keep a debate going, especially when your position is contrary to the majority's. There are no mistaken points here because there are no valid points, period.

Please do 'mention the big influences that random factors" have, because it is a ridiculous assertion, both that "tornadoes and arwings" have a "big influence", but also that 'randomness' is this the enemy of competition or fairness. This is the single wrongest assertion that the community makes in regards to characters, stages, items, and hazards.
It doesn't need to be an enormous influence. I'm not even representing my own position here. Why should we condone the mere possibility of a random occurrence to determine match outcome? The answer is: if that same possibility is the established downside of allowing an addition element of balanced gameplay. In this instance, it would have been that Hyrule was a balanced counterpick for characters who are not favoured on Dreamland. This assumption has since fallen out of favour, so you cannot use this argument by itself to fight for Hyrule's legality.

What a load of crap. I`m sorry for my tone, but this is ridiculous. I don`t give a damn about Street Fighter, Meta-Knight, or any other fighting game. Most fighting games that even allow for the depth of 'high-level play' are PRE-DATED BY SSB64, and regardless are absolutely irrelevant and have NO bearing on SSB64 gameplay, rules, or procedures. Period. If you feel otherwise, than write a book on "How all fighting games are basically the same."
I don't even want to address this point. Why shouldn't we take hints from more modernised and competitively-designed fighting games?

Stalling = Stalling. Not approaching, baiting, or simply moving to another area of the stage.

Extreme Stalling = There is only ONE situation in the entirety of the game that should be recognized as "extreme stalling/disruptive gameplay"

The top platform of Hyrule.

Any other accusation of camping/hiding/standing is almost certainly ********. Your opponent is under no obligation to allow you to hit them. They are however, required to attempt to hit you, to attempt to kill you, to attempt to win the match. To act otherwise is not only terrible sportsmanship, but runs counter to the very idea of a tournament.
Specifically,
"engaging in a manner of play that shows no willingness to fight, no aggression towards the opponent, or otherwise to no short-term strategic advantage in an attempt to meaninglessly prolong the match is forbidden"
You know I wrote the original ruleset. I thought about the definition of stalling for the longest time. I still don't have a satisfactory definition in the context of smash. In that vein, your definition seems to be based on your idealised vision of Smash Bros, which is a frenetic spacing-based melee where each player reads the other's next move and makes a perfect read, going to-and-fro in an aggressive clash of wits and dexterity. That's merely your definition. Yes, I'm putting words in your mouth, but I don't think it's entirely unjustified, given how poorly you seem to regard by-the-book defensive play.

How do you determine if someone has no willingness to fight, short of them dropping a controller entirely? A 'lack of aggression' is certainly not something that should be penalised. Additioally, almost any action in a fighting game can be constituted to have a short-term advantage, whether it be in the game, preying on a player's known lack of techskill, or something psychological. There should be no way for a TO to subjectively penalise somebody for playing defensively and without aggression.

The idea that this isn`t needed coming out of your mouth ASTONISHES ME, as I have borne witness to you, with 0% damage and a 3-1 stock lead, refuse to leave the top platform of Hyrule, in order to attack your opponent, who had 118% damage on their last life. There is no valid defense, 'competitive' 'defensive''play to win' 'high level' NONE AT ALL, that justifies that behavior.
There are a couple that immediately spring to mind, actually. Risk vs. reward. Why expose yourself to something when there is no need to? You have the indomitable lead, there is no reason to allow your opponent any route back into the game. This is the ultimate play-to-win style, and is perfectly valid. I hate to say this, but the fact that you don't think so basically illustrates your level as a player.

Psychological tactics. Doing something as safe as this against someone who feels they are pretty much on their last legs will infuriate them, which is never a good state of mind to be in, and another method to clinch victory.

What's wrong with these? Nothing. Play to win.

Further, in the blatantly not true category, is that this rule "is unenforceable."
That statement is offensive to both TO`s and fellow players, the latter most likely and the former CERTAINLY able to judge any and all violations of the rules, in a completely SUBJECTIVE manner, thus is the job of TO.
One (or even a few) player`s ravings on 'high-level defensive strategy' are meaningless compared to the TO`s obligation to the tournament at large.
This is the role of TO, to make these difficult subjective decisions, in order to keep in line the despicable players who value "winning" over "winning by playing the game." They might as well pull a fire alarm if losing a set, wiht that attitude.
As somebody who has actually had to penalise stallers, I can tell you that this is by no means as clear-cut as you make it sound (and no matter how subjective or pained you make the process sound, it is ultimately a yes-no answer as to whether a player is stalling). I wouldn't trust any TO to make that decision, myself included. If you ever have to intervene with somebody like this, you are already impinging on how they play, and nothing gives you that clear-cut privilege.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
The rest of it seems fine outside of what is highlighted below.

Stage Legality
I like when people try to complain that Hyrule is too big and now Sector Z is on this list. I honestly cannot see either of those stages allowed. It is not just the size but on both stages, a character (such as Kirby) can camp with up tilt or w/e their move is and force approaches and their opponent into unfavorable positions. It is the left cliff on Hyrule (blame m2k but he was right completely) and the bottom area of Sector Z near the curve that are both major culprits of this.

Any Stage, and any Items may be allowed only if both players agree.
This would have to be in limits. I don't mind agreeing to two players allowing items but if 2 people want to mess around and agree to play on Sector Z and they happen to be doing Jigglypuff dittos or Kirby dittos, good luck finishing a tournament set in a reasonable time.

The five minute rule is a bit harsh, If I am not mistaken, the Mage's DQ rule is 10 minutes (I would check on it but going to bed, oh 2:18 AM)

Stage Striking
It shouldn't be done with coins, smashers lose things more often than any other community I know (legit fact.) I'd say either

1. Rock Paper Scissors, winner gets to pick 2nd.
2. Double Blind Pick with the TO/another player they choose to be the mediator/middle man where they both tell separately who they are using and then they select their characters.

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
While I still disagree with all the other stuff that Studstill said in this thread, I thought that one point out of this proposal that was overlooked [I'm not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere or something? Sorry if I bumped this thread without needing to because of there being a different discussion] was the replacement of state striking/Dreamland only with the split choice system, so I wanted to make a few comments about it.

To me, what I like most about this suggestion is that it does away with a player ever having to go through the RPS that double blind picking can be, especially when every A-tier is soft-counted by at least one S-tier character...

Alternatively, while this isn't particularity relevant to the current state of Smash 64 where there are only 3 legal stages, this setup makes it valid to have an even number of neutral stages, and yields a small group of potential variants of the split choice system, although exploring variants might only be relevant for rulesets with 4+ stages.

Finally, this system doesn't even necessarily require an on-the-spot coin toss--just determine, prior to the tournament, who, for each match, "wins the coin toss". Because this could all be determined at any time prior to the tournament, you could even set it up so that any single player's path only has x number of coin toss wins. That would be a math problem, but since we have as much time as we want to generate a bracket where that's true, this is within the realm of possibility as well. Alternatively, you could just have the lower-seeded player be the one that "wins the coin toss". This would at least minimize the number of times that any individual player would be the one who "won the coin toss", due to lower seeded players generally not going as far. [but probably not recommended because of the potentially arbitrary nature of seeding.]

Interesting. Never thought of using a coin flip to determine who picks first stage and then offsetting the advantage of picking a stage with having to pick a character first. However in my opinion picking stage first is not nearly as much an advantage as getting the counterpick, so I think people would just win the coinflip and force their opponents to pick their character first.

I'm against this simply because I don't believe that someone should be able to counterpick someone's character on the first game.
The hope, of course, is that one of the variants will be passed to the other player only half of the time, which would maximize the amount of time that both players agree to who should go first, while still being deterministic. This is something that would likely have to be tested out in the field, however.

Also, as stated before, getting your character counterpicked is something that can already happen with double blind, it's just not as common, but it will always be a problem as long as double blind is the system we use. While, at the least, the split choice system allows for the player getting their character counterpicked to choose a better stage, if possible. While this might not be as helpful in DL-CJ-PC, the fact that there's a subset of the community that is experimenting with the 1P stages [FD, BF, MC, and SYI] should mean that, even if the system isn't that applicable to the current state of the Smash meta, that it should be kept in mind whether it could work in these kinds of situations, at least within the people who are doing the experimenting.

All possibilities with your ruleset:

Player A wins 2-0 and won coin flip
+1 -1 = 0 : fair. A wins because A is better
Player A wins 2-1 and won coin flip
+1 -1 +1 = +1 : in favor of player A. A wins because ruleset gave them advantage
Player A wins 2-0 and lost coin flip
-1 -1 = -2 : in favor of player B (player B really sucks). A wins because A is a lot better (despite losing, -2 is way too one sided to be fair)
Player A wins 2-1 and lost coin flip
-1 -1 +1 = -1 or -1 +1 -1 = -1: in favor of player B (player B still sucks just not as much because they won once out of two tries in their favor). A wins because A is better but could've won earlier had the ruleset not been in favor of player B

All possibilities with my ruleset:

Player A wins 2-0
0 -1 = -1 : in favor of player B but A still won because A is better
Player A wins 2-1
0 -1 +1 = 0 : fair. A wins because A is better

In my ruleset there is never an outcome determined by ruleset favorability or exploit unlike your ruleset. There is a possibility where stages were in favor of a player, but that player is never the winner and its better to have a player win at a disadvantage than win at an advantage. A coin flip brings even randomness to help determine who goes first and I like that in deciding who strikes a stage first, but a substantial thing like what stage will be played on is too much to leave to chance.
A few things of note regarding this. In your analysis of Studstill's ruleset, you place a value of +1 to winning the coin toss. Of course, this cannot be the case, because it is obvious that winning the counterpick is a bigger advantage than winning the coin toss, so the value of winning the coin toss has to be closer to 0. The goal is to get it to that point, and, if that was possible, then the criticism doesn't work because all of the "ruleset gave them advantage" scenarios would go back to 0 advantage.

Your explanation of the other ruleset is biased in that it assumes that the system is a true 0 advantage for the first stage, which isn't the case: both the double-blind system [which can sometimes land on your character having to outplay the other player just to win due to matchup woes] and the fact that a coin flip decides who strikes first also makes the advantage not 0, due to the fact that the person who strikes first is disadvantaged if they strike the same stage the other player would have striked. [this is especially relevant to the group of people who are currently experimenting with the previously inaccessible stages]

Both of these facts put together, I think we'll find that the difference in "advantage" between double blind -> stage striking and split choice aren't as blatant as it was made out to be, to the point where I feel like experimenting with split choice at minor tournaments to be something worthy of consideration.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Ban this guy and close this thread.
Excuse me? If you want me to make a new thread about this and close this thread, fine--but what have I done? As I understand it, necroposting [which I assume you're accusing me of] would be to reply to this thread with "lol Studstool", but I've done nothing of the sort, I responded to a specific point that was made in the thread.

Shears

Smash Master
This discussion ended over a year ago. There is one legal stage, DL. Thats how it is, thats how it will be. This thread should've been closed when the discussion ended. You should be banned for how much of a noob you are and how wrong you are. You are necrobumping all these threads when discussion had ceased and a decision made.

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
This discussion ended over a year ago. There is one legal stage, DL. Thats how it is, thats how it will be. This thread should've been closed when the discussion ended. You should be banned for how much of a noob you are and how wrong you are. You are necrobumping all these threads when discussion had ceased and a decision made.
There is no rule against necroposting, as far as I am aware, and, in every scenario that I've ever seen, the rules have disallowed necroposting which does not add to the discussion of the thread.

As for there being only one legal stage, that's not a universal thing. There are tournaments which still run using more stages than just Dreamland, and so a discussion of a system that could improve the stage-selecting process is still relevant. The fact is, double-blind is a poor system that has to be tolerated because, so should be argued, there is no better alternative that is vaguely more fair than double-blind -> Dreamland, but I'm posing the question of whether or not Studstool's system could have been exactly that, had its variants been properly tested, could have been competitively viable outside of the Dreamland-only bubble.

Shears

Smash Master
There is no rule against necroposting, as far as I am aware, and, in every scenario that I've ever seen, the rules have disallowed necroposting which does not add to the discussion of the thread.

As for there being only one legal stage, that's not a universal thing. There are tournaments which still run using more stages than just Dreamland, and so a discussion of a system that could improve the stage-selecting process is still relevant. The fact is, double-blind is a poor system that has to be tolerated because, so should be argued, there is no better alternative that is vaguely more fair than double-blind -> Dreamland, but I'm posing the question of whether or not Studstool's system could have been exactly that, had its variants been properly tested, could have been competitively viable outside of the Dreamland-only bubble.
No you are not adding to a discussion that has been resolved. It's history. Majors are now DL only. Any tournament that uses other stages is not a major recognized event. I can go play a basketball game with make it take it, the nba won't recognize it and it's not a discussion to be had with the nba. Therefore your discussion on rules that don't exist anymore or only apply to small little noob tournaments is not constructive or supplementary. Hence, this necrobumping does not add to the discussion and is a rule violation. Again,

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
No you are not adding to a discussion that has been resolved. It's history. Majors are now DL only. Any tournament that uses other stages is not a major recognized event. I can go play a basketball game with make it take it, the nba won't recognize it and it's not a discussion to be had with the nba. Therefore your discussion on rules that don't exist anymore or only apply to small little noob tournaments is not constructive or supplementary. Hence, this necrobumping does not add to the discussion and is a rule violation. Again,

Are majors the only tournaments in the world, Shears? This is not the Super Smash Bros. 64 Majors forum, this is the Super Smash Bros. 64 forum. Majors aren't the only thing that matter! I'm not sure if you're being intentionally dense here considering you just freakin' played in a tournament that wasn't a major and it had stage striking and double blind character selection. Everything that I just said played an impact--and will continue to have an impact if Xanadu continues to play with the variant ruleset that they're experimenting with right now.

Not everything is about majors, and, the last time I checked, they're playing Smash 64 at Xanadu, so I feel like it and ever other minor that play should be considered just as much Smash 64 as any major is.

Last edited:

caneut

Smash Ace
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

dl only

Annex

Smash Ace
Are majors the only tournaments in the world, Shears? This is not the Super Smash Bros. 64 Majors forum, this is the Super Smash Bros. 64 forum. Majors aren't the only thing that matter! I'm not sure if you're being intentionally dense here considering you just freakin' played in a tournament that wasn't a major and it had stage striking and double blind character selection. Everything that I just said played an impact--and will continue to have an impact if Xanadu continues to play with the variant ruleset that they're experimenting with right now.

Not everything is about majors, and, the last time I checked, they're playing Smash 64 at Xanadu, so I feel like it and ever other minor that play should be considered just as much Smash 64 as any major is.
Respect, you sound very frustrated
Shears is being very dismissive because stages have been argued about for pages and pages of this forum. The eventual conclusion was that major tournaments would be DL only. Minor tournaments could obviously use whatever rules they want because most don't consult the professional smash 64 community about what ruleset they should use like all majors do

Nobody's trying to belittle your opinion or points, it's just that this topic has been beaten to death and almost all top level 64 players now are in complete agreement. Nobody wants to start these old arguments again, at least for a few years

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
Xanadu/other stuff
In all seriousness, there is a reason why all of these other stages are banned. The fighting polygon stage/duel zone might be OK but the requirement for people to have to run either GS or something related puts the stage in the same category of any well un-unlockable stages, i.e. it is unfair to anyone who is unable to play said stages and there will never be enough tournament data to support these stages being legal.

Otherwise, Metal Mario stage is too damn small and FD is **** for certain characters.

You play at locals to get ready for regionals. You play at regionals to get ready for majors.

I.E. you play at locals to get ready for later events.

Last edited:

Respect38

Smash Apprentice
Respect, you sound very frustrated
Shears is being very dismissive because stages have been argued about for pages and pages of this forum. The eventual conclusion was that major tournaments would be DL only. Minor tournaments could obviously use whatever rules they want because most don't consult the professional smash 64 community about what ruleset they should use like all majors do

Nobody's trying to belittle your opinion or points, it's just that this topic has been beaten to death and almost all top level 64 players now are in complete agreement. Nobody wants to start these old arguments again, at least for a few years
I think it's hard to not be frustrated here when Shears is being more than just "very dismissive". He's being disrespectful unto the highest--demanding that I be banned for making a point about an old thread, in order to, at the least, inform people that might participate in this debate in the future that there's an option that isn't the same old double blind -> stage striking, or to even let people who run minors [like Xanadu, but all the others as well] know that there are also other potential options.

Nobody has belittled my points because nobody read them, or nobody cared about them. There's no discourse here in the least, just stating of an opinion + declaring that I should be banned for a non-offense. [if someone can please point me out to what I've done wrong that deserves a ban in any reasonable context, that would be nice. If I'm not allowed to do this by rule, I'll certainly never do this again. Is Shears just always this moody?]

[Technically, although I admit there is likely not much crossover, these points are also valid for all the other Smash games, should anyone want to support that system in those games. I don't know if any of the other Smash games that encounter situations where double blind commonly becomes a game of RPS to see who throws out the right choice--it's possible that it's only Smash 64 (with CF/Kirby and Fox/Pika) that has strange situation]

In all seriousness, there is a reason why all of these other stages are banned. The fighting polygon stage/duel zone might be OK but the requirement for people to have to run either GS or something related puts the stage in the same category of any well un-unlockable stages, i.e. it is unfair to anyone who is unable to play said stages and there will never be enough tournament data to support these stages being legal.

Otherwise, Metal Mario stage is too damn small and FD is **** for certain characters.

You play at locals to get ready for regionals. You play at regionals to get ready for majors.

I.E. you play at locals to get ready for later events.
Of course, but I'm not necessarily talking about those maps, but Xanadu playing on them for this week, next week, and possibly in the future certainly provides a useful example, no?

As long as there are locals or regionals that still play on Peach's Castle, Congo Jungle, or even Hyrule Castle, then this point will still be valid for them; although, due to the high weight of majors here, I admit that this wasn't the best place to attempt this discussion.

Annex

Smash Ace
Is Shears just always this moody?
Yes
You did nothing wrong or bannable. Reviving a very old thread is generally looked down upon but it's fine and you had a reason to do this. Shears (and everyone else) has just argued this so much that it's exasperating to have a new player come and dig it up
Also, I'm not saying this applies to you but a lot of peoples views change the more they get into the competitive community. When I joined I thought Hyrule was the best stage. I couldn't imagine why anyone would want it banned, much less why people would want DL only. Now I pretty much only ever want to play on DL. I think you should give yourself some time before you start suggesting changes to such an ingrained and stubborn community

Top Bottom